Caught speeding 100mph, first motoring offence, is a ban likely?

Found 4th Sep 2017
Hi, I was caught doing 104 mpg by an unmarked police car today, he had me on his video dash cam. He also noted I wasn't indicating and driving too close to other cars (this is not my normal driving style)

This is my first offence, I have never had points on my licence, I have been driving 7 years.

He appeared to write up the offence as 100mph on his statement

I have been told I will be summoned to court. Will the dashcam footage be used? As it wasn't my finest hour, it would also show me going above 100mph

Am I likely to be banned with it being my first ever motoring offence?

Thanks in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and you're trying to help him avoid a ban?

kester7616 m ago

Claim that a ban will put your livelihood at risk etc hopefully they will …Claim that a ban will put your livelihood at risk etc hopefully they will have sympathy and only give you a fine and points.

Livelihood!?

Driving like that is putting their life at risk as well as the lives of others.

A ban is justified

104 on a dual carriageway isn't 'just speeding'. I hope the op gets a good length ban, a big fine and lots of points, and I hope he can't get insured when he gets his licence back. All those backing him would no doubt feel the same if he'd list control and killed someone they know.

Tailgating, driving at over 100mph and not indicating for over seven minutes on a dual carriageway. Not looking good dude. If you were the judge, would you ban you ?
75 Comments

A ban is highly likely at 100mph+

Claim that a ban will put your livelihood at risk etc hopefully they will have sympathy and only give you a fine and points.

Can we assume this was in a 70 zone cause it makes a big difference , motorway or country lane ?
drivingban.co.uk/dri…htm
link above might be helpful also links to a second page on which situations mean you may avoid a ban, however it also depends on wether the court summons is just for speeding or also driving without due care and attention , which in itself is anything from 3 points to disqualification.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 4th Sep 2017

I'm not sure whether it might help, but any mitigating circumstances?

kester764 m ago

Claim that a ban will put your livelihood at risk etc hopefully they will …Claim that a ban will put your livelihood at risk etc hopefully they will have sympathy and only give you a fine and points.

Presumably they'd want some evidence to support that if they were to rely on it.

Was this on the motorway?

Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and you're trying to help him avoid a ban?

kester7616 m ago

Livelihood!?

Driving like that is putting their life at risk as well as the lives of others.

A ban is justified

craigstephens2 m ago

Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and …Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and you're trying to help him avoid a ban?

All except the second comment look to me to be neutral/informative posts.

A ban? I hope so!!!

Probably best place to ask for information
pepipoo.com

Op made a mistake obviously op will know future circumstances from now on, lesson for everyone

Original Poster

It wasnt the motorway, was a dual carriageway

Too many people on their high horses in here. A ban will be decided on a number of other factors. Like if the motorway was busy, weather conditions, also what things you said at the point of being pulled over.

It will be 6 points and a short ban and a fine at worst. The fine is varied on your income I think. This can take up to 6 months to even hear back from as well.

Just for the record, it's more dangerous to drive slow on the motorway/dual carriageway than it is to drive fast.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 4th Sep 2017

-104mph
-not indicating
-driving too close to other cars

BMW, Audi or Merc by any chance?
Edited by: "spoo" 4th Sep 2017

craigstephens32 m ago

Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and …Why are people trying to help the op? 104 and driving dangerously and you're trying to help him avoid a ban?

Because its hardly crime of the century is it. People who are anti speeding are usually poor drivers. Its the idiots sitting at 40 in a 60 that need put off the road

Op if your employed get your employer to write a letter saying youll lose your job if you lose your licence. Also go to your doctor close to the court date claiming stress due to the case. Theyll likely write a letter saying your not fit to represent yourself. A good solicitor should be able to string it out a bit. Your target is to string it out for a year whatever means you can it will likely be thrown out after this time

Do not plead guilty either make them use the evidence or police statements as theyre usually easily discredited by a proper lawyer

Good luck!!!!

mart32120 m ago

It wasnt the motorway, was a dual carriageway

That still leaves questions unanswered

On a motorway the max speed is 70mph unless otherwise specified

On a dual carriageway it could be anything from 30 to 70mph

As for the offence - I hate to see speeders getting off because of livelihood or other lame excuses. You wouldn't drive like that when taking your test - there is no excuse in my book.

Original Poster

philphil619 m ago

That still leaves questions unansweredOn a motorway the max speed is 70mph …That still leaves questions unansweredOn a motorway the max speed is 70mph unless otherwise specifiedOn a dual carriageway it could be anything from 30 to 70mphAs for the offence - I hate to see speeders getting off because of livelihood or other lame excuses. You wouldn't drive like that when taking your test - there is no excuse in my book.

Sorry, it was a 70mph dual carriageway

104 on a dual carriageway isn't 'just speeding'. I hope the op gets a good length ban, a big fine and lots of points, and I hope he can't get insured when he gets his licence back. All those backing him would no doubt feel the same if he'd list control and killed someone they know.

Original Poster

123batman32112 m ago

Because its hardly crime of the century is it. People who are anti …Because its hardly crime of the century is it. People who are anti speeding are usually poor drivers. Its the idiots sitting at 40 in a 60 that need put off the roadOp if your employed get your employer to write a letter saying youll lose your job if you lose your licence. Also go to your doctor close to the court date claiming stress due to the case. Theyll likely write a letter saying your not fit to represent yourself. A good solicitor should be able to string it out a bit. Your target is to string it out for a year whatever means you can it will likely be thrown out after this timeDo not plead guilty either make them use the evidence or police statements as theyre usually easily discredited by a proper lawyerGood luck!!!!

They have pretty good evidence as I was recorded for nearly 7 minutes by the unmarked car so I don't think pleading not guilty would help in this case

Original Poster

spoo15 m ago

-104mph-not indicating -driving too close to other carsBMW, Audi or Merc …-104mph-not indicating -driving too close to other carsBMW, Audi or Merc by any chance?

BMW

craigstephens2 m ago

104 on a dual carriageway isn't 'just speeding'. I hope the op gets a good …104 on a dual carriageway isn't 'just speeding'. I hope the op gets a good length ban, a big fine and lots of points, and I hope he can't get insured when he gets his licence back. All those backing him would no doubt feel the same if he'd list control and killed someone they know.

And then you get some who advise you to plead not guilty when you know for fact that the police have evidence

And if you plead guilty isn't the sentence generally lighter

Some people........pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

"I wasn't indicating and driving too close to other cars".

The speed isn't necessarily the only problem, It's the driver, You've showed an absolute disregard to any body else's safety. For that I really hope they throw the book at you.

Selfish drivers cost lives, No better than drink drivers.

Tailgating, driving at over 100mph and not indicating for over seven minutes on a dual carriageway. Not looking good dude. If you were the judge, would you ban you ?

mart32111 m ago

BMW

mart32111 m ago

BMW

Your best bet would be to sell it and get a small car that struggles to hit 70mph (that might help your case)

And then with not owning a BMW/AUDI/MERC you wouldn't automatically gain attention from the law
Just look at some dash cam uk videos on youtube or rate-driver.co.uk the majority are BMW/AUDI/MERCS

Oh just in case any SJW's are reading this - I apologise if I've offended you with facts.
Edited by: "philphil61" 4th Sep 2017

Speeding is taken very seriously now. You will receive hefty penalty points if not banned. The financial penalty is now also based on your earnings so if are a high earner, then it will be very expensive, not to mention the insurance premium huge increase.

I am afraid I have no sympathy with over 100 miles. That is way over the speed limit and extremely dangerous. Perhaps this will be a huge eye opener for you

You were lucky if he wrote you up at 100mph that puts you in Band B, they revised the speeding fines in April of this year so you can get a pretty good idea of the minimum you can expect.

rac.co.uk/dri…es/

sentencingcouncil.org.uk/off…17/

123batman32148 m ago

Because its hardly crime of the century is it.

I guarantee there are plenty of bereaved people who might disagree, both of the speeding driver and anyone else involved, survival rate of high speed crashes is very poor.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Sep 2017

mart32136 m ago

They have pretty good evidence as I was recorded for nearly 7 minutes by …They have pretty good evidence as I was recorded for nearly 7 minutes by the unmarked car so I don't think pleading not guilty would help in this case

So seven minutes at 100+mph? That's ten miles approximately. Hardly a mistake. A mistake is putting your foot down to overtake someone who's doing 70 with a police car behind you. Driving too close to other cars at 104mph. That's a wanton disregard for the law, other people's safety and your own safety.
You say you think he put you down as 100mph? He most likely wrote 'driving in excess of 100mph' in preparation for this (except from driving ban site uk)...

"Although the Police attempt to resolve most offences by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice, at excessive speeds, a Court appearance is inevitable. For speeds in excess of 100 mph (or more than 30 miles above the relevant limit) the punishment starts at disqualification as opposed to penalty points."

You live close to work? Get a bike now.

Original Poster

mrty25 m ago

So seven minutes at 100+mph? That's ten miles approximately. Hardly a …So seven minutes at 100+mph? That's ten miles approximately. Hardly a mistake. A mistake is putting your foot down to overtake someone who's doing 70 with a police car behind you. Driving too close to other cars at 104mph. That's a wanton disregard for the law, other people's safety and your own safety. You say you think he put you down as 100mph? He most likely wrote 'driving in excess of 100mph' in preparation for this (except from driving ban site uk)..."Although the Police attempt to resolve most offences by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice, at excessive speeds, a Court appearance is inevitable. For speeds in excess of 100 mph (or more than 30 miles above the relevant limit) the punishment starts at disqualification as opposed to penalty points." You live close to work? Get a bike now.

He recorded me for 7 minutes there was only one instance where I reached this speed. I was generally doing 80 then a long stretch of downhill road opened up and I reached 104mph for a short period of time

mart32117 m ago

He recorded me for 7 minutes there was only one instance where I reached …He recorded me for 7 minutes there was only one instance where I reached this speed. I was generally doing 80 then a long stretch of downhill road opened up and I reached 104mph for a short period of time

I wouldn't worry yourself about it at the moment. It will likely be close to 6 months before you hear anything back. There isn't much you can do about it now, it will be what it will be. If the roads were clear and weather was clear you'll be fine. However with them commenting on not indicating and driving too close to other cars, that will not go down well.

My guess is £500 fine, 6 points and a month ban on what you have said.

Can be taken to court for dangerous driving. Plea innocent, say you was driving carelessly. Or, say there was a bee or fly in the car, foot slipped.

I have no sympathy and will not be offering advice. Just because he says it isn't his normal driving style doesn't mean he hasn't done it before. Quite frankly, he deserves what is coming at him as maybe it will teach him a lesson vs avoiding court.

All the stuff he did could have quite easily killed someone, even without the speed involved. 34mph over the speed limit?! That's essentially 1.5 times the speed limit. No excuse, not even in an emergency

hairray21 m ago

Can be taken to court for dangerous driving. Plea innocent, say you was …Can be taken to court for dangerous driving. Plea innocent, say you was driving carelessly. Or, say there was a bee or fly in the car, foot slipped.

A fly or a bee in the car? Ha ha ha..... for seven minutes?
What does Op want to hear? "You'll be fine. They'll give you 20 minutes community service and a holiday to the Bahamas for the stress caused by the horrible police?".
He needs to accept the punishment and learn from it.

Met officer told me someone walked as there very good solicitor told them to say it, just an idea as it got them off.

If not, just make sure you plead guilty to careless driving rather than dangerous OP.

We've all gone over the speed limit at some point.

No excuse for those speeds. I hope you do get banned, maybe it'll teach you a lesson!

mart3212 h, 16 m ago

He recorded me for 7 minutes there was only one instance where I reached …He recorded me for 7 minutes there was only one instance where I reached this speed. I was generally doing 80 then a long stretch of downhill road opened up and I reached 104mph for a short period of time

Eighty is still over the limit though isn't it? Driving at speeds in excess of eighty miles an hour for a sustained period of time and in a dangerous manner is reckless and irresponsible. I would prepare for the worst and thank your lucky stars if you get off without a ban. I don't think it being your first offence will have any bearing, it's too serious. If your first offence was stealing from the pick 'n mix in woolies you might get a warning but if your first offence was robbing a bank you would expect to spend time at her majesty's pleasure. Both are stealing, but one is more serious than the other.
No one is perfect and the temptation to stick your foot down on a straight and empty stretch of road can be too much to resist. Thing is, from your description, this wasn't a straight empty stretch of road. I think they have you bang to rights.

I did 3mph over speed limit in a 30mph.. I was driving in a 30 zone - was doing 33, and thought I was in a 40... which the sign said... but sign was superseded by road markings...

I got a drivers course...

OP - you need to get fit because you will more than likely be walking. If its more than 10-15mph over then its a fine and points at over 30mph on a first offence and with every thing else you will be expecting fine and a ban. Hope you don't get a bad judge because ban length could be short or long.

I have no sympathy I lost a brother in law to some one speeding a while back.
Edited by: "StarlordUK" 5th Sep 2017

Manny506 h, 37 m ago

Op made a mistake obviously op will know future circumstances from now on, …Op made a mistake obviously op will know future circumstances from now on, lesson for everyone

33 in a 30 is a mistake. 104 in a 70 is not a mistake. If you are doing 104 you know you are breaking the law

JohnnyRoller9 h, 21 m ago

Too many people on their high horses in here. A ban will be decided on a …Too many people on their high horses in here. A ban will be decided on a number of other factors. Like if the motorway was busy, weather conditions, also what things you said at the point of being pulled over.It will be 6 points and a short ban and a fine at worst. The fine is varied on your income I think. This can take up to 6 months to even hear back from as well.Just for the record, it's more dangerous to drive slow on the motorway/dual carriageway than it is to drive fast.

just for the record if you are driving 104mph where everyone else is driving 55-70 (as they should) then everyone else is driving slow depending on relative point. why should those who drive 55-70 pay the conseuences ?
Post a comment
@
    Text