Expired

Caustic Soda Drain Unblocker

Found 31st Aug 2011
Hi All,

I recently experienced a blocked drain in my shower, sink and bathroom. It was unblocked by a plumber using a drain blaster. He advised purchasing some caustic soda in crystal/powder form and putting down the plug holes followed by a kettle of boiling water poured in slowly.

Any advice on the best place instore or online to get caustic soda would be appreciated.

Finally, would I be able to put caustic soda into the dishwasher?

Many Thanks

No1R
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Boots sell caustic soda. It gets hot when mixed with water so be careful where you put it.
I buy this for a £1 (makes a good weed killer!!) If you buy from big stores you will be paying £3-5 for the same thing. Ive been getting them from asian kind of "pound land" stores dont know how else to describe them!!!
Caustic soda is poisonous i wouldnt put this in a dishwasher!!!!
If you want something thats good for cleaning dishwasher out, ive HEARD milton tablets are good they are used to sterilise baby utensils etc but ive never tried this.
This is what i buy for £1, same size

sinks-taps.com/def…spx?view=item&itemid=8473&r=froogle&k=Homecare+CAUSTIC+SODA+Heavy+Duty+Cleaner+(1Kg)
I get mine from poundland, use it in all my showers, sinks and toilets regularly
The usual discount shops sell it very cheap.
Word of caution after pouring the boiling water stand well back it can bubble and then spray out, very very dangerous so stand well back and don't let the kids anywhere near it. Use plenty of cold water then to flush through.
nick1austin

Boots sell caustic soda. It gets hot when mixed with water so be careful … Boots sell caustic soda. It gets hot when mixed with water so be careful where you put it.

make sure you dont put it down your trousers....
Guys,

Many thanks for your tips. Taf I got the one you suggested from a local hardware store. Job done.

Thx again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants