Cavity Wall Insulation

Having just moved into my first home I have noticed the hallway / stairs to go very cold. The wall has no cavity insulation and I've been told mixed things.

Is it free to get it done? I dont mind paying.

11 Comments

Is it like old big Yorkshire stone outside? our old place was an the house was freezing

there is often grants to get it free but you would have to check whats available. Is it an old house? I ask as mine is and its solid walls so insulation wasn't possible (also gets very cold in hall and stairs)

Just make sure there's no damp or water between the brick as insulation will cause serious issues

Crazy Chris

there is often grants to get it free but you would have to check whats … there is often grants to get it free but you would have to check whats available. Is it an old house? I ask as mine is and its solid walls so insulation wasn't possible (also gets very cold in hall and stairs)

Dunno if it is grant-able but there has been a rash of (probably) council houses I see on the way to work, all of which look like they are non-cavity wall construction and have had external insulation put on.

Looks like big batts of rockwool held in place with dirty great long screws and big washers, with a layer(s) of mesh and screed applied over that. They needed some work to extend the roof a few inches over the gable ends.

Edit: This sort of thing:

thegreenage.co.uk/tec…on/

Edited by: "Fluffykins" 1st Feb

ring your local council or energy supplier.

Fluffykins

Dunno if it is grant-able but there has been a rash of (probably) council … Dunno if it is grant-able but there has been a rash of (probably) council houses I see on the way to work, all of which look like they are non-cavity wall construction and have had external insulation put on. Looks like big batts of rockwool held in place with dirty great long screws and big washers, with a layer(s) of mesh and screed applied over that. They needed some work to extend the roof a few inches over the gable ends. Edit: This sort of thing:http://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/external-solid-wall-insulation/

yeah i know what you mean, i actually had a company come out and they gave me a price for that type but it was silly money, they were talking 5K +

Check out thermal wallpaper. I used this on the very cold exterior walls of a Victorian house and I think it helped.

There was an article about this on R4 You and Your's a few weeks back. Suggested that you need to be very sure of your installer and have a proper survey done. If your house is in the west of the UK, with lots of rain, it might not be suitable.
bbc.co.uk/pro…xwb

Do you actually have a cavity? (Oooerrr) I live in a 1930's house and there is none due to the way they built them.

If you have a cavity wall and not a solid wall then also keep in mind there are a couple of types of insulation available. One is a rockwool type which can get and remain damp and the other is a polystyrene type bead which doesn't retain moisture.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2238
    2. Nintendo Switch Game Cases22
    3. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    4. Electricity11

See more discussions