CCJ's and credit scoring enquiry

15 replies
Found 1st Nov 2007
When I was 16(years ago) I had a dodgy landlord who took me to court 2 years later claiming I never paid rent, and as it was 2 years later I no longer had the rent book so he won and I got a CCJ.

And 2 years ago I was at college and left early due to a family crisis, and moved but the student loans took me to court to recover the years loan as the college told them I never enrolled or started course, and as I had moved I didnt know I had a CCJ.

Now I cant get credit at all, and 6 years have passed since I got my first CCJ, and the loan one I sorted out by reducing my student loan for uni by the amount "overpaid"

So therefore I should have better credit.

The reason I ask, is I have been turned down for a student account with Halifax, Royal Bank of Scotland(though Natwest accepted me and its the same company!)CO OP bank, HSBC, and Abbey(just a regular basic account) etc.

Barclays accepted me(though I never opened it due to taking up Natwests offer)

I did have a time almost 5 years ago when I had my house burgled by some heroin addicts who tried to apply for credit cards in my name and stole my neighbours cheque book and made out cheques to themselves and tried to open credit cards in their name.

Im just worried someone stole my identity and got loads of credit.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
16 Comments

Banned

Check out your credit history for free here joincreditexpert.com/fre…ge1

There is a free advice page there as well

Remember to cancel the free trial in time

Hotscotsman

When I was 16(years ago) I had a dodgy landlord who took me to court 2 … When I was 16(years ago) I had a dodgy landlord who took me to court 2 years later claiming I never paid rent, and as it was 2 years later I no longer had the rent book so he won and I got a CCJ.

Your old landlord did not win because of this.:?

Its possible that the CCJ's have not been marked as satisfied, you have to contact the courts to do this (and possibly pay something).

If you look via quidco you can earn cash back for getting your credit report.

Banned

You guys seen his previous posts? I think he's a trowl....and there's a sign somewhere that says don't feed the trowls

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/images3.deviantart.com/i/2004/111/0/e/Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

Original Poster

Lol yeah I dig things from the ground lol.

Yes I only post my problems lol.

The landlord thing wasI couldnt prove I didnt pay him and I stutter and I made mistakes at court(I was only 18)

Hotscotsman

The landlord thing wasI couldnt prove I didnt pay him and I stutter and I … The landlord thing wasI couldnt prove I didnt pay him and I stutter and I made mistakes at court(I was only 18)

Why would you want to prove you didn't pay him?

Did you pay him? It seems a bit far fetched that he would take you to court making this claim.

He would've had to provide evidence that he contacted you chasing you for the money.

If you never paid up after going to court, what did you think would happen?
Not pay and it disappears? :? That's the whole point of going to court.

Original Poster

Sorry I meant I couldnt prove I did pay him.

We just had a big argument when I moved out, over friends of the other tenants who damaged things and I was blamed, plus he wanted extra for utility bills.

I never said I didnt pay it didnt I

And he sent me constant recorded delivery letters, I accepted first few until they were sent about twice weekly, him demanding cash.

Im a nervous person, so who would you rather believe in court, a nervous stuttering person who get tounge tied, or a guy in a posh suit who got character references(even though the judge said they were irrelevant)

Banned

Lesson learnt then, you sound like my brother.... Tim??? Get a job you lazy *******!!! Anyway, you should keep all records of anything you pay...if you pay in cash you should ask for a receipt if they don't offer a receipt don't pay. Keep all cheque slips so you know the cheque number so the bank can trace it. Debt doesn't hang around you forever after so many years you get a 'cleaner' record. If you suspect someone's stolen your ID go to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau who will offer you free advice citizensadvice.org.uk/ind…htm

Use these to check your credit rating
experian.co.uk
equifax.co.uk

Hotscotsman

Sorry I meant I couldnt prove I did pay him.We just had a big argument … Sorry I meant I couldnt prove I did pay him.We just had a big argument when I moved out, over friends of the other tenants who damaged things and I was blamed, plus he wanted extra for utility bills.I never said I didnt pay it didnt I

You said that you lost your case because you didn't have a rent book.
Not damage and bills.

Hotscotsman

I never said I didnt pay it didnt I

Don't understand this.:thinking:

Hotscotsman

Im a nervous person, so who would you rather believe in court, a nervous … Im a nervous person, so who would you rather believe in court, a nervous stuttering person who get tounge tied, or a guy in a posh suit who got character references(even though the judge said they were irrelevant)

I would believe the evidence.

Original Poster

thesaint

You said that you lost your case because you didn't have a rent book.Not … You said that you lost your case because you didn't have a rent book.Not damage and bills. Don't understand this.:thinking: I would believe the evidence.

Sorry you are misunderstanding me, what I meant was I had an argument with him, he claimed I damaged things and wanted money for repairs.

He decided to take me to court for "rent" which happened to be the exact same amount that he claimed was damaged.

As I had no rent book, I couldnt prove I paid.

Therefore if I couldnt prove I paid him rent and he said I owed rent how can I convince court I paid him, as I paid cash.

So no rent book = no proof of payment = court awarding landlord "rent"

As I say im a nervous person so I think that didnt help at court as I couldnt afford any support and couldnt get legal aid as it was over £500

As I say if you were a judge and you had a 18 year old who was nervous kept stuttering and didnt know what to say, and a smart guy in a suit very well prepared and well spoken who would you find more trustworthy.

Anyway lol this has nothing to do with my problem.

It was just a personal thing,we fell out over something totally stupid.

I'm sorry if I sound rude (I don't mean to!) but why did you start this thread? For advice on what to do? :thinking:

Hotscotsman

Im just worried someone stole my identity and got loads of credit.

How can other people get credit in your name if you can't even get credit in your name? :thinking:

Original Poster

Yes thats what I thought, I was just worried incase something slipped through the net.

I dont know as I dont apply for credit often. and if both debts are sorted why is my credit still bad.

Thinking about it though, I have been overdrawn at my bank quite a few times over last few years, all unauthorised, though normally only a few pounds at a time. And paid my bt or sky bill late(when I had them) sometimes.

Unless my credit is only bad with 1 company i.e it seems I can only get an account at certain banks.

I would have thought(with regards to the identity theft) that anyone who tried to get credit in your name would have been turned down due to your previous credit history ie CCJ.Also if they had got credit in your name you would have received demands for non payment before now(seeing that it was 5 years ago).

CCJs will still be earmarked on your file if they have not been satisfied,once they have been satisfied they should be noted as such and it is still 6 years before they they 'disappear'.This will be affecting your credit score.

Also you need to bear in mind that everytime you apply for credit and that includes applications for bank accounts with debit cards etc,these are also noted and will affect your score.Basically,constantly and regularly applying for credit is not seen as a good thing,especially if you have a chequered credit history.

You need to concentrate on clearing your debts,including CCJ's,stop applying for credit and make sure that you pay your debts on time.This and only this will help improve your score.

All lenders do is assess whether you are likely to pay off the amount you want to borrow,if you have a history of not doing then they won't advance you the funds.

Original Poster

I dont apply often, and mainly a bank account, I did apply for a credit card last year, and about twice year before, and tried about twice for a contract phone this year, its not a common thing, and I wait months before reapplying.

Confusing I know.

And the times I paid bills late was when I was a few pounds overdrawn.

Normally something simple like bank gave me a charge for being like £1 overdrawn for a day, then charged me £50 which made me overdrawn meaning I didnt have enough for bills making them late, then bank refunded charge meaning I paid)

And the 2 debts I had are cleared.

muckypup

I would have thought(with regards to the identity theft) that anyone who … I would have thought(with regards to the identity theft) that anyone who tried to get credit in your name would have been turned down due to your previous credit history ie CCJ.Also if they had got credit in your name you would have received demands for non payment before now(seeing that it was 5 years ago).CCJs will still be earmarked on your file if they have not been satisfied,once they have been satisfied they should be noted as such and it is still 6 years before they they 'disappear'.This will be affecting your credit score.Also you need to bear in mind that everytime you apply for credit and that includes applications for bank accounts with debit cards etc,these are also noted and will affect your score.Basically,constantly and regularly applying for credit is not seen as a good thing,especially if you have a chequered credit history.You need to concentrate on clearing your debts,including CCJ's,stop applying for credit and make sure that you pay your debts on time.This and only this will help improve your score.All lenders do is assess whether you are likely to pay off the amount you want to borrow,if you have a history of not doing then they won't advance you the funds.

^^ I think that's the best advice you're going to get Hotscotsman
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Amazon deliveries35
    2. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    3. Computer upgrades89
    4. Invisalign dental braces in London22

See more discussions