CCTV

Posted 17th Apr
Could anybody recommend a reasonably priced, good quality CCTV system. I only need 2 cameras and would prefer wired.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Internal or external cams, or one of each?
esar18/04/2020 04:37

Being wired will severely limit the choices, but I did find this, but …Being wired will severely limit the choices, but I did find this, but you'll need to buy a hard drive and a monitor (has hdmi & VGA output) for itamazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Camera-System-Weatherproof-Security/dp/B07WZHNXNS/ref=pd_aw_sbs_60_2/259-6441595-0732913?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WZHNXNS&pd_rd_r=d3c56b82-870c-4337-9051-6c4c545b89a4&pd_rd_w=f7E8L&pd_rd_wg=PYBfN&pf_rd_p=3b1b46cf-a74f-4b68-ab88-d58da183f7e5&pf_rd_r=SK7V0N9YMYN0GXA1690E&psc=1&refRID=SK7V0N9YMYN0GXA1690E

Why would being wired limit my choices? I don't mind spending a bit more, probably around £200 for a good set up
Look at the Hikvision range. Everyone raves about them, and I think they’ve been around a good while too, yet reasonably priced. Might be best to purchase a package, but have a good search around. Just decide if you want bullet cams or the dome type, and what resolution you want too, then get everything that suits your exact needs.
£200 may need to be stretched a little. It’s probably doable, but you’d likely need to compromise somewhere.

To give you an idea of cost, Amazon currently have a 4 cam Hikvision package for £274

Can also get similar on eBay - 254568584043 being one example, it can be configured with 2 cams for just over £200. Less with a smaller hdd.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 18th Apr
Check out Swann or Anker ranges. If you can stretch then hilook/Hiwatch by Hikvision. Big cost will be hard drive-the bigger the more days you can save. If you
can push to 4mp it’ll last you longer. Difference in quality is noticeable in night picture quality and detail when zooming. IP systems also better than analogue as gives more options in swapping cameras in future
SWANN SWDVK-445802V 4-Channel Full HD 1080p Smart Security System & Google Chalk Nest Mini (2nd Gen) Bundle 1TB, 2 Cameras £149.99 @ Currys40452418-SBzRR.jpg
The thing I hate about these CCTV's is that you have to drill through your main wall with a SDS drill and you also have to do some electrical wiring.
For that reason, I have paired an old laptop with a FullHD webcam and use the ispy software. There is no night vision and I am trying to figure this out atm.
I would go for a POE kit. One Ethernet cable to each camera that supplies both data and power meaning one smaller hole and not a huge gaping chasm big enough to accommodate power jacks and BNC connectors if you go down the analogue AHD route. Plus you can cut cables to length and terminate your own ends easily making your holes even smaller.

Loads of sellers selling kits on Amazon and Ebay plus POE cameras are cheap as chips in a variety of flavours, resolutions, styles and assuming the NVR supports it (most do) you can go down the Pan/Tilt/Zoom route.

Item 223954007937 on ebay, 4x 5MP cameras, 8 channel POE NVR, 2TB hard drive plus cables for £239 - as an example, you could probabaly do better if you search around or dont need a hard drive.
steadyeddie18/04/2020 09:32

Why would being wired limit my choices? I don't mind spending a bit more, …Why would being wired limit my choices? I don't mind spending a bit more, probably around £200 for a good set up

External cams really need PIR movement detection to avoid all the drama otherwise associated with false movement triggers such as rain / snow / waving tree brances / etc.
If you can't be bothered with faff of NVR you could consider some self-contained solutions and one such PIR-based external wired (& wifi) s/c solution is on Amazon "Lightning Deal" as I type at under £34 each amazon.co.uk/dp/…RT/
AndyRoyd18/04/2020 16:17

External cams really need PIR movement detection to avoid all the drama …External cams really need PIR movement detection to avoid all the drama otherwise associated with false movement triggers such as rain / snow / waving tree brances / etc. If you can't be bothered with faff of NVR you could consider some self-contained solutions and one such PIR-based external wired (& wifi) s/c solution is on Amazon "Lightning Deal" as I type at under £34 each https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VRT1VRT/

Think I'd rather go wired, wifi at the back of the house is very weak and also no power socket nearby (above bathroom).

Probably a silly question but if I get an NVR without a HDD can I just use a portable HDD over USB?
I would probably have alerts switched off so false movement alarms wouldn't be a problem, getting some door contact alarms too
steadyeddie18/04/2020 16:34

Think I'd rather go wired, wifi at the back of the house is very weak and …Think I'd rather go wired, wifi at the back of the house is very weak and also no power socket nearby (above bathroom).Probably a silly question but if I get an NVR without a HDD can I just use a portable HDD over USB?

The suggested Amazon option is wired. Also has wifi. Your choice of connectivity. Not sure of the advantage of NVR / USB / HDD if the suggested device has option for integral storage via microSD accessible remotely, and/or sub-based cloud.
zworld18/04/2020 12:36

The thing I hate about these CCTV's is that you have to drill through your …The thing I hate about these CCTV's is that you have to drill through your main wall with a SDS drill and you also have to do some electrical wiring.For that reason, I have paired an old laptop with a FullHD webcam and use the ispy software. There is no night vision and I am trying to figure this out atm.

Inside or outside?
AndyRoyd18/04/2020 16:40

The suggested Amazon option is wired. Also has wifi. Your choice of …The suggested Amazon option is wired. Also has wifi. Your choice of connectivity. Not sure of the advantage of NVR / USB / HDD if the suggested device has option for integral storage via microSD accessible remotely, and/or sub-based cloud.

Is it PoE?
esar18/04/2020 16:41

Inside or outside?

Is that to me?? Outside if it is
steadyeddie18/04/2020 16:34

Think I'd rather go wired, wifi at the back of the house is very weak and …Think I'd rather go wired, wifi at the back of the house is very weak and also no power socket nearby (above bathroom).Probably a silly question but if I get an NVR without a HDD can I just use a portable HDD over USB?

youll need a specific CCTV HD like WD purple
zworld18/04/2020 12:36

The thing I hate about these CCTV's is that you have to drill through your …The thing I hate about these CCTV's is that you have to drill through your main wall with a SDS drill and you also have to do some electrical wiring.For that reason, I have paired an old laptop with a FullHD webcam and use the ispy software. There is no night vision and I am trying to figure this out atm.

An external led floodlight with PIR would sort the night vision
esar18/04/2020 16:41

Inside or outside?

Inside. So, it's a webcam by the window pointing towards the drive.
zworld18/04/2020 17:50

Inside. So, it's a webcam by the window pointing towards the drive.

You can actually buy a floodlight that works off microwaves, so goes through a window, ideal if you are renting and are not allowed to put up external fixings
cpc.farnell.com/pro…944
comes with a remote for setting sensitivity, duration etc too!
£6 hdd cex uk.webuy.com/pro…ata
made for cont. use ~ a week with 2 x hd cams
Won't get much better image than 49 quid deal - all have carpy little sensors under few grand budget
Found this on ebay ebay.co.uk/itm…106
Add a couple of 5mp cameras around £50 each and a HDD comes to well under £200
Any thoughts?
steadyeddie18/04/2020 22:49

Found this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192878030106Add a couple of …Found this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192878030106Add a couple of 5mp cameras around £50 each and a HDD comes to well under £200Any thoughts?

I have one of these, its about the best value NVR you can buy and its better built than most. User interface is very user friendly and very hikvision like. Works with Onvif cameras and also cameras that put out a basic RTSP stream. I haven't used mine a lot, its waiting to go in when I upgrade all my cameras to 5MP versions but like most NVR's and different brand cameras, getting motion detection to work is near impossible. If you want motion activated recording so you can go back to specific events you would be best off buying a kit that comes with cameras.
freakstyler18/04/2020 23:10

I have one of these, its about the best value NVR you can buy and its …I have one of these, its about the best value NVR you can buy and its better built than most. User interface is very user friendly and very hikvision like. Works with Onvif cameras and also cameras that put out a basic RTSP stream. I haven't used mine a lot, its waiting to go in when I upgrade all my cameras to 5MP versions but like most NVR's and different brand cameras, getting motion detection to work is near impossible. If you want motion activated recording so you can go back to specific events you would be best off buying a kit that comes with cameras.

What's the app/software like? Was everything reasonably easy to set up?
steadyeddie19/04/2020 16:47

What's the app/software like? Was everything reasonably easy to set up?

I've not used the App yet, like I said I've yet to replace my current setup and have only briefly tested it. The user interface on the box itself is good, its, for the most part in proper english and not at all complicated to set up or use. The mouse function actually works fine and is not stuttery like on most boxes, it also takes security seriously forcing you to set a proper password and back up a config recovery file on a USB stick just in case you forget your credentials. Its very much like a Hikvision NVR to use and they're pretty good. Its also accessible through a web browser.

Only criticisms, the mouse is junk and should be binned, any normal USB mouse works fine and I don't personally trust the power supply. Its feather light for 12v at 2 amps so I used my own, probably me just being over cautious though. I've used a few different brands of NVR over the past couple of years, a couple of no name Chinese boxes an Ezviz (Hikvision) box with WiFi and this. This is on par with the Eziviz when it comes to performance and easy to use and it cost less than half the price - it also does 5 more cameras can can go upto 5MP 2560x1440 resolution.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions