CCTV advice

Posted 4th Nov
After having another massive altercation with an insane neighbour I need to get some CCTV kit.

I'm looking for something along the lines of 4K/8MP, PoE and atleast 4 cameras.

I came across this one:

amazon.co.uk/dp/…SY0
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
I highly recommend Reolink. Using their kit at work and at home. Very easy to setup and Cloud service via China is reliable. Hardware also really good for the price.
Try a search on here for similar threads
Hikvision is what I have and recommend
Edited by: "snoopy18" 4th Nov
How well lit will your night time images be? 4K/8mp not the best for low light, lower MP tend to perform better.

I too second Hik kit, or Dahua for a bit better build quality, 4 camera POC kit can be purchased for less than the Amazon one you have linked, but watch out for the cheeky swines who offer a Hik kit but it's only the recorder that is atually Hik.

*edit*

5mp TVI Hik Camera £31
8 Channel DVR £165 for POC (power over coax)
£65 for 2TB HDD
£10 100m of coax

Plus VAT £79

£474 (for five cameras) hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/38755642
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 4th Nov
EBUYER...Check out their latest deals.
Good reliable company, in my humble opinion.
I personally use SWANN at my properties, but i have used Hik previously.
Be aware that you will need exceptional broadband to view 4 cameras at 4k resolution away from site.
Would recommend Hikvision system, we have this and find them great
Me.really04/11/2019 18:43

Be aware that you will need exceptional broadband to view 4 cameras at 4k …Be aware that you will need exceptional broadband to view 4 cameras at 4k resolution away from site.

True, but you just use the substream for remote viewing so no major issue.
SaltyExpert04/11/2019 18:49

Would this have any issues viewing 4 cams in quad view on mobile phone over 4g @4k
Edited by: "Me.really" 4th Nov
Me.really04/11/2019 19:39

Would this have any issues viewing 4 cams in quad view on mobile phone …Would this have any issues viewing 4 cams in quad view on mobile phone over 4g @4k

You will need a great upload speed to view that remotely, substream offers lower resolution reducing bandwidth, still perfectly viewable.
SaltyExpert04/11/2019 18:32

How well lit will your night time images be? 4K/8mp not the best for low …How well lit will your night time images be? 4K/8mp not the best for low light, lower MP tend to perform better.I too second Hik kit, or Dahua for a bit better build quality, 4 camera POE kit can be purchased for less than the Amazon one you have linked, but watch out for the cheeky swines who offer a Hik kit but it's only the recorder that is atually Hik.*edit*5mp TVI Hik Camera £31 8 Channel DVR £165 for POC (power over coax)£65 for 2TB HDD£10 100m of coaxPlus VAT £79£474 (for five cameras) https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/38755642

I'm afraid you have to pay more for a Hikvision IP camera than £31.8. That one is analogue.
You can still use a Hikvision NVR with generic IP cameras (and you should still get good results).

SaltyExpert04/11/2019 18:49

SaltyExpert04/11/2019 20:10

You will need a great upload speed to view that remotely, substream offers …You will need a great upload speed to view that remotely, substream offers lower resolution reducing bandwidth, still perfectly viewable.

When you remote the NVR (for example using HikConnect), I don't think it makes use of the substreams (as they are defined in the camera).
Edited by: "TobyZ" 4th Nov
TobyZ04/11/2019 22:00

I'm afraid you have to pay more for a Hikvision IP camera than £31.8. That …I'm afraid you have to pay more for a Hikvision IP camera than £31.8. That one is analogue.You can still use a Hikvision NVR with generic IP cameras (and you should still get good results).When you remote the NVR (for example using HikConnect), I don't think it makes use of the substreams (as they are defined in the camera).

I typo'd. Was meant to say POC not POE. As that's what OP was asking and what I've priced in the past.

I was under the impression Hik connect uses sub stream as default, then you change it to main stream in settings. (or fluent and clear as it's called in IVMS-4500)
SaltyExpert04/11/2019 22:05

I typo'd. Was meant to say POC not POE. As that's what OP was asking and …I typo'd. Was meant to say POC not POE. As that's what OP was asking and what I've priced in the past.I was under the impression Hik connect uses sub stream as default, then you change it to main stream in settings. (or fluent and clear as it's called in IVMS-4500)

Sorry misinterpreted the PoE.
Maybe you are right and it uses the substeams when using HikConnect; I have to check.
deleted2172605
honestly, you don't need 4K. It will cost you an arm and a leg, and at night it's not going to be any clearer than 1080p. We have some 4K cameras and their quality isn't any better than our 1080p hikvision cameras that cost half as much. The best thing you can do is invest in a good NVR, a decent branded 1080p camera and if you need it , some IR floodlights. I'd usually be the first person to say yay 4K but in the CCTV world, it's not that much benefit and it's a big cost increase.
Hi I have had CCTV camera for the last few years as I was broken into and all off the were wired and they were a pain tbh and also you needed a DVR to go with it so I was looking for a both one as I wanted a PAN AND TILT so instead off the bullet camera that just stays in one place the PAN AND TILT ONE I could use the app and the camera would go up and down and across as I wish this is by far the best CCTV camera I have had plus it wireless so no lead and cables to fix.
And the price was very good not hundreds of pounds a lot cheaper than you would realise.

Anyway that is my thoughts on the camera if you want me to send a video off what mine does then its on the amazon website umwere the comments on the and pictures that people have put up the URL to the page is on here. I you really can not go wrong..

Two Way Audio (Built-in MIC and speaker)50M Night Vision, Motion DetectionEmbedded with 3 powerful IR-LEDs for night vision range up to 165 feet and IP66 level weatherproof.

Wireless and Wired Cable Connection, use wifi or wired cable connect and you can see the image/live video on Phone/Windows PC/IE3

powerful IR-LEDs for night vision range up to 165 feet and IP66 level

Pan/Tilt/Zoom: Supports remote rotation control, Pan 355 degree, Tilt 120 degree, 5x optical zoom

Tracking system built in so anyone the CCTV camera sees it will track them and record at the same time and also send you a notification. CCTV camera I have
Thanks to everyone for the input, a good amount to think go away and about now
Scoliosis_Warrior05/11/2019 01:59

..PAN AND TILT ...Zoom...

OK, but what's more convenient ? one camera £128 (with PTZ) or multiple £20 cameras which can cover each other ?
If the PTZ is not triggered by some external sensors, or if it's not continuously scanning then stopping once it autotriggers or zooming out and then PTZ on the target once it gets autotriggered, it is not very useful.
You'll always need a NVR, or some other storage to save data, other than the camera itself.
Cables can be cut (if you have access to them), Wifi can be blocked to from the distance...and sometimes much easier than thought.
You can connect an external illuminator on 940nm to make it invisible for the human eye.

The best is to avoid placing all your eggs in the same basket.
I've go these Swann ones and i'm very happy with them. Mobile app not great though tbh.

laptopsdirect.co.uk/swa…asp
Personally I would go with CCTV that can record audio, not all cameras do, that way there can be little dispute about what was said at the time . Without proof about what was said its only your word against theirs unless you have an independent witness.
FireOnAWire05/11/2019 18:48

Thanks to everyone for the input, a good amount to think go away and about …Thanks to everyone for the input, a good amount to think go away and about now

I would recommend a new neighbour.
Scoliosis_Warrior05/11/2019 01:59

Hi I have had CCTV camera for the last few years as I was broken into and …Hi I have had CCTV camera for the last few years as I was broken into and all off the were wired and they were a pain tbh and also you needed a DVR to go with it so I was looking for a both one as I wanted a PAN AND TILT so instead off the bullet camera that just stays in one place the PAN AND TILT ONE I could use the app and the camera would go up and down and across as I wish this is by far the best CCTV camera I have had plus it wireless so no lead and cables to fix. And the price was very good not hundreds of pounds a lot cheaper than you would realise. Anyway that is my thoughts on the camera if you want me to send a video off what mine does then its on the amazon website umwere the comments on the and pictures that people have put up the URL to the page is on here. I you really can not go wrong.. Two Way Audio (Built-in MIC and speaker)50M Night Vision, Motion DetectionEmbedded with 3 powerful IR-LEDs for night vision range up to 165 feet and IP66 level weatherproof.Wireless and Wired Cable Connection, use wifi or wired cable connect and you can see the image/live video on Phone/Windows PC/IE3powerful IR-LEDs for night vision range up to 165 feet and IP66 level Pan/Tilt/Zoom: Supports remote rotation control, Pan 355 degree, Tilt 120 degree, 5x optical zoomTracking system built in so anyone the CCTV camera sees it will track them and record at the same time and also send you a notification. CCTV camera I have

This reads like a pathetic fake Amazon review, (and an advert) I would completely ignore all the above.
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 5th Nov
fanpages05/11/2019 21:55

I would recommend a new neighbour.

Gotta get rid of the current lunatic first.
Edited by: "FireOnAWire" 5th Nov
38913147-brI4n.jpg38913147-HX7Hz.jpg38913147-WIX7j.jpg
TobyZ05/11/2019 19:39

OK, but what's more convenient ? one camera £128 (with PTZ) or multiple …OK, but what's more convenient ? one camera £128 (with PTZ) or multiple £20 cameras which can cover each other ?If the PTZ is not triggered by some external sensors, or if it's not continuously scanning then stopping once it autotriggers or zooming out and then PTZ on the target once it gets autotriggered, it is not very useful.You'll always need a NVR, or some other storage to save data, other than the camera itself.Cables can be cut (if you have access to them), Wifi can be blocked to from the distance...and sometimes much easier than thought.You can connect an external illuminator on 940nm to make it invisible for the human eye.The best is to avoid placing all your eggs in the same basket.

Hi the camera you can insert a memory card or you can use a cloud function
For example the app has a cloud storage without the card loss or equipment damage, its has safely encrypted thus is a bank level multiple control for 100 percent guaranteed of information security, analyse alarm playback ,24 hrs around the clock, complete event recording and one key playback and real time alarm reminders that supports playback for multiple persons any time any place .
You can use alarm trigger recording and continuous recording
With regards you question about PTZ continuous recording this camera does as it has a function called "intelligence tracking " So this will not stop the camera at all what I mentioned by someone in your garden for instance it tracks that persons and will send a alarm notification to your email app and phone .were a NVR records but you have to check any recordings when you return home for instance unless the newer NVR send you a alarm to your phone .
The PTZ covers what all around your garden if you have it there but also covers 360 degrees
So the wireless system works just like normal cameras but without the need for separate NVR cables or cat5 that need to be attached to the NVR , I have had a NVR kit with a number or cameras and they are great am not dismissive them at all but when I ordered this camera I found it so much easier than I did with the cables and NVR .
People have different opinions and systems they use and swear by them . Am just offering a alternative.
185405/11/2019 20:57

Personally I would go with CCTV that can record audio, not all cameras do, …Personally I would go with CCTV that can record audio, not all cameras do, that way there can be little dispute about what was said at the time . Without proof about what was said its only your word against theirs unless you have an independent witness.

The one I have has audio plus microphone so you can talk though the app and it comes out though the camera
SaltyExpert05/11/2019 23:06

This reads like a pathetic fake Amazon review, (and an advert) I would …This reads like a pathetic fake Amazon review, (and an advert) I would completely ignore all the above.

Says the CCTV expert
Ignore all off the above you need to look at your comments and theres a few and you say mine looks like a fake amazon profile.
I must off hit a nerve never mind .
SaltyExpert04/11/2019 18:32

How well lit will your night time images be? 4K/8mp not the best for low …How well lit will your night time images be? 4K/8mp not the best for low light, lower MP tend to perform better.I too second Hik kit, or Dahua for a bit better build quality, 4 camera POC kit can be purchased for less than the Amazon one you have linked, but watch out for the cheeky swines who offer a Hik kit but it's only the recorder that is atually Hik.*edit*5mp TVI Hik Camera £31 8 Channel DVR £165 for POC (power over coax)£65 for 2TB HDD£10 100m of coaxPlus VAT £79£474 (for five cameras) hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/38755642

Sounds like a fake Ebay review ignore the above of I was you
Scoliosis_Warrior05/11/2019 23:47

Says the … Says the CCTV expert Ignore all off the above you need to look at your comments and theres a few and you say mine looks like a fake amazon profile.I must off hit a nerve never mind .

Not an expert, certainly not on the smaller domestic (and maybe newer stuff)
But currently employed maintaining high end systems, think major retail stores with 6+ NVR/DVR with cameras and awareness monitors running through a Pelco or BBV matrix. Cabled and installed town centre CCTV systems, with a little help from the fibre splitter guys. So I know a fair bit.
So, let's go back to your wireless PAN AND TILT (PTZ by the way, as it pans, tilts and zooms) that has SD card recording, wow that's proper stuff. Puts the raid drive recording we're used to to shame.
Read back through your advert, fix the immense amount typos, make it legible.
Then come back and try and sell the mickey mouse stuff.

No nerve been hit, life is too short to be offended by a DIY enthusiast.
SaltyExpert06/11/2019 00:04

Not an expert, certainly not on the smaller domestic (and maybe newer …Not an expert, certainly not on the smaller domestic (and maybe newer stuff)But currently employed maintaining high end systems, think major retail stores with 6+ NVR/DVR with cameras and awareness monitors running through a Pelco or BBV matrix. Cabled and installed town centre CCTV systems, with a little help from the fibre splitter guys. So I know a fair bit.So, let's go back to your wireless PAN AND TILT (PTZ by the way, as it pans, tilts and zooms) that has SD card recording, wow that's proper stuff. Puts the raid drive recording we're used to to shame.Read back through your advert, fix the immense amount typos, make it legible.Then come back and try and sell the mickey mouse stuff.No nerve been hit, life is too short to be offended by a DIY enthusiast.

A DIY enthusiastic, I have been using CCTV cameras for a long time ever since I had a burglary in my home.
Am sorry about the typo errors am dyslexic so I try to type words out correctly but sometimes it's difficult to spell the words accurately.
The pan and tilt cameras don't just have a memory card for recording but you if you do just use one you don't have to remove it to view. You can view the memory card on the apps itself and also if you read it again I said it has a cloud function also that records 24/7 and if it triggers anything it sends you a a email and a phone notification and also a app notification on your phone. It has two way audio and also a lot more functionality.
So yes as for the recording of events it the same as a RAID drive o sorry a hard drive
Yes wired cameras are popular with people and swear by them PoE types are great for a newbie plus they use a Cat5 or Cat5 wires to communicate with you home network router and NVR so you might get a better stable signal plus wired have no interference with WiFi signal but people need to with a wired camera has to have encryption SSL encryption plus WPA2-AES And SSL-TLS enabled so snooping eyes can not see.
I have used wired and they are great but you need to know about running the CCTV cables though walls or attics to hide the wires a great good wired system might be a RLK16-410B8 by relink.
But I brought a wirless pan and tilt ans its a easy way off monitoring your garden or were ever you have it but has all the functionality off a wired one TBH and wirless CCTV cameras are the way forward I belive but people amwho are interned on buying one need to know about the pointing a camera at ayour neighbours property as you can be in breach of the DPA.
Evey time I have put a CCTV camera up I have told my neighbours I have a CCTV and also lit a sign up as the rules are difficult to use as some say you have to some don't but pointing a camera at a neighbouring property is not such a good idea.
Anyway thanks for you CCTV guide I enjoy reading your posts as people can learn off each other without judging people and making comments that a child would make
Scoliosis_Warrior06/11/2019 01:13

A DIY enthusiastic, I have been using CCTV cameras for a long time ever …A DIY enthusiastic, I have been using CCTV cameras for a long time ever since I had a burglary in my home.Am sorry about the typo errors am dyslexic so I try to type words out correctly but sometimes it's difficult to spell the words accurately.The pan and tilt cameras don't just have a memory card for recording but you if you do just use one you don't have to remove it to view. You can view the memory card on the apps itself and also if you read it again I said it has a cloud function also that records 24/7 and if it triggers anything it sends you a a email and a phone notification and also a app notification on your phone. It has two way audio and also a lot more functionality. So yes as for the recording of events it the same as a RAID drive o sorry a hard drive Yes wired cameras are popular with people and swear by them PoE types are great for a newbie plus they use a Cat5 or Cat5 wires to communicate with you home network router and NVR so you might get a better stable signal plus wired have no interference with WiFi signal but people need to with a wired camera has to have encryption SSL encryption plus WPA2-AES And SSL-TLS enabled so snooping eyes can not see.I have used wired and they are great but you need to know about running the CCTV cables though walls or attics to hide the wires a great good wired system might be a RLK16-410B8 by relink. But I brought a wirless pan and tilt ans its a easy way off monitoring your garden or were ever you have it but has all the functionality off a wired one TBH and wirless CCTV cameras are the way forward I belive but people amwho are interned on buying one need to know about the pointing a camera at ayour neighbours property as you can be in breach of the DPA. Evey time I have put a CCTV camera up I have told my neighbours I have a CCTV and also lit a sign up as the rules are difficult to use as some say you have to some don't but pointing a camera at a neighbouring property is not such a good idea. Anyway thanks for you CCTV guide I enjoy reading your posts as people can learn off each other without judging people and making comments that a child would make

Yes, a DIY enthuiast unless I am completely wrong and it's your day job?
Why on earth would wired cameras have to have encryption?
Wireless CCTV cameras are not the way forward, if they were decent do yoyu not think us proffesionals would be using them?
Wireless links maybe between buildings.

Apologies for the typo comment then
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants