CCTV camera systems

Posted 2nd Nov
I was thinking about getting CCTV cameras don't really now too much about them seen a few flouren ones one sale for a fair price , don't really want too spend too much but want cameras that actually work in day and night time . want the cameras too have a half decent picture incase anything happens to identify culprit's . I was looking at something like this or will this just be a waste of money.

rover.ebay.com/rov…834
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Cameras don’t deter people these days. Think of it like this; if you have nothing worth stealing you won’t have an alarm system or cameras.
Jelly.Bean02/11/2019 22:37

Cameras don’t deter people these days. Think of it like this; if you have n …Cameras don’t deter people these days. Think of it like this; if you have nothing worth stealing you won’t have an alarm system or cameras.

Peeps install cameras to play that popular game of "guess whose hoody that is".
Get 2mp or above I would recommend at least these days. 1500 tvl is old stock now. Think it's double that now. But cameras work well if placed in the correct location. You probably need a spy camera at eye level height to get good facial recognition. And a mic to record any voices etc. Then hope the police can actually follow up a report to actually make use of the footage.. Sorry any disrespect to the police but the 50 or so above thefts and burglary I have reported in my time not one has lead to an arrest.
If you want to put in security you need to buy a good brand set because the one on eBay will do nothing. Look in B&Q for something like swaan or Yale they are pretty good budget systems
3MP cams offering res of 2048x1536 are £20 each with comfort of Amazon fulfillment amazon.co.uk/Sec…MY/ . Alternatively consider multiple self-contained cams complete with integral floodlight feature for colour nighttime images (rather than the usual IR monochrome), all controlled by one app; possibly cheaper than an NVR-based system even when factoring the on-cam microSD storage costs, random example 1080p £23 each FBA amazon.co.uk/Wir…KS/
Alarms are more of a deterrent than cameras as they make a lot of noise. Always make sure you have multiple sounder boxes as one can easily be disabled, multiple units means more effort.

I put an alarm in and then about 4 years later added cameras after we had people in our garden at night with a torch, neighbour disturbed them. I never had locks on the gates as our garden is quite a way off the road but do now.

Basically in order of priority:
Make sure windows and doors are secure (locks are of good quality and strong) - replace barrels etc if needed
Make sure garage is secure (fit extra locks and secure things of value inside with chains and anchors if needed)
Make sure you are insured appropriately
Secure gates and ensure fences can’t easily be climbed jumped over
Add lighting with sensors which turn on when people approach (front and back)
Add an alarm
Add cctv
Add a dog
Hire a security guard

If they are determined to get in nothing will stop them, but if your security is higher than most of your neighbours they will go for the neighbours generally as it’s a softer target.

Criminals don’t look out for houses with cctv and alarms to rob but if you leave stuff out like iPads on the window sill or it looks like to you have good gear because you have a flash car on the drive then you’ll still be a target.

If you have a flash car park it in the garage so criminals don’t see it when they are scoping for places to rob.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 3rd Nov
Outdoor Security Camera, Wansview... amazon.co.uk/dp/…are

this is the camera we have, fantastic! Quality of pic is second to none, run off WiFi and sends alerts via app on your phone. I can watch it live and you can change the sensitivity as it picks up every rain drop think we paid £25
Lindos1503/11/2019 10:33

Outdoor Security Camera, Wansview... …Outdoor Security Camera, Wansview... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4CLWVT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_sharethis is the camera we have, fantastic! Quality of pic is second to none, run off WiFi and sends alerts via app on your phone. I can watch it live and you can change the sensitivity as it picks up every rain drop think we paid £25

Until they cut your phone line and you see nothing then. Easily done.
cmdr_elito03/11/2019 10:51

Luckily it’s hidden

Unlimited cellular data is under £10/m. The thief may be able to do a runner with my carefully protected 4G router and alarm system protected by 6hr-rated independant power supply but by that time the cloud will have the record of the hoody. Worst case scenario considering the "phone line" enters the property underground is that the would-be theif demolishes the streetbox via ramraid and simultaneously utilises a cellular blocker whilst using an attack drone to take out the high wall-mounted alarm bellbox and alerts the neighbours to an issue having fruitlessly nuked the local electrical substation.
At that that stage I may acknowledge respect for the thief's bizarre determination to steal some bargainous low quality tat obtained from HUKD deal threads.
AndyRoyd03/11/2019 04:51

3MP cams offering res of 2048x1536 are £20 each with comfort of Amazon …3MP cams offering res of 2048x1536 are £20 each with comfort of Amazon fulfillment https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Camera-Detection-Weatherproof-Reduction/dp/B07PNPRNMY/ . Alternatively consider multiple self-contained cams complete with integral floodlight feature for colour nighttime images (rather than the usual IR monochrome), all controlled by one app; possibly cheaper than an NVR-based system even when factoring the on-cam microSD storage costs, random example 1080p £23 each FBA https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection-CTVISON-Bullet-Camera/dp/B07MD755KS/

I'm suspecting the so called 3MPx to be in reality a 2MP/15fps; I have one which looks identical to the one advertised. I think I paid £5 for it.

Based on OP's request: "want the cameras ...to identify culprit's" it's a matter of gathering evidence rather than stopping them. Of course, an audio alarm could make a difference.
Lindos1503/11/2019 10:33

Outdoor Security Camera, Wansview... …Outdoor Security Camera, Wansview... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4CLWVT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_sharethis is the camera we have, fantastic! Quality of pic is second to none, run off WiFi and sends alerts via app on your phone. I can watch it live and you can change the sensitivity as it picks up every rain drop think we paid £25

Do I need buy a Alexa thing too make this work or does it just connect too a phone via a mobile app.

That's the other thing most cameras I have seen don't mention they have a backup battery fitted in them so anyone can just cut the wire or trip the electric off for other camera's aswell so I suppose doesnt make much differenceor do they all have built in battery backup.
TobyZ03/11/2019 17:18

I'm suspecting the so called 3MPx to be in reality a 2MP/15fps; I have one …I'm suspecting the so called 3MPx to be in reality a 2MP/15fps; I have one which looks identical to the one advertised. I think I paid £5 for it.Based on OP's request: "want the cameras ...to identify culprit's" it's a matter of gathering evidence rather than stopping them. Of course, an audio alarm could make a difference.

The noted 3MP item has the more-desirable x265 stream rather than the typical x264 stream, but if you bagged even a 2MP x265 item for a fiver you have a great bargain
MynameisM03/11/2019 19:28

Do I need buy a Alexa thing too make this work or does it just connect too …Do I need buy a Alexa thing too make this work or does it just connect too a phone via a mobile app.

No it just connects to your WiFi and install the app on your phone really easy to use
MynameisM03/11/2019 19:30

That's the other thing most cameras I have seen don't mention they have a …That's the other thing most cameras I have seen don't mention they have a backup battery fitted in them so anyone can just cut the wire or trip the electric off for other camera's aswell so I suppose doesnt make much differenceor do they all have built in battery backup.

No they don’t, but there are some battery powered cameras.
AndyRoyd03/11/2019 20:47

The noted 3MP item has the more-desirable x265 stream rather than the …The noted 3MP item has the more-desirable x265 stream rather than the typical x264 stream, but if you bagged even a 2MP x265 item for a fiver you have a great bargain

I ordered a 5MP camera (which in general should support h265/+ encoding) but I received something else; here some old pictures with the camera:
38895346-jnkf7.jpg
38895346-s68MA.jpg
38895346-CSCC1.jpg

As it can be seen from the pictures the camera looks pretty similar as the one from Amazon.
Mine is based on Hi3518E which is at max 2MP/15fps. Surprisingly, the firmware was properly built, not buggy, and it was showing a max resolution of 2MP. I opened a dispute because I ordered a 5MP camera, I brought evidence and I've got back all the money less £5 (something like that).
Other than being only 2MP (but quite good video quality) and having a pretty weak illuminator, I can't complain for £5.
@MynameisM
The cameras in your link are not IP cameras; personally I'll go with IP as you'll have more flexibility in the future.
2MP (also named FHD, 1080p) are, for the beginning, good enough (and don't rely only on resolution as the lenses and the sensitivity of the sensor are as well very important).
I understand that an important factor is the price, so it's up to you how much you want to pay for such a system. Make sure it's suits your needs and not the general trend. If you want to lower the cost you have to be inventive.
A good 2MP should be under £20. You find 5MP/15fps (and good firmware) at around £30.

IN GENERAL, these are common on the market:
=> cameras:
-analog type which connect via a BNC connector and coaxial cable to a DVR, powered from 12V (in general) via a second pair of wires
-digital (IP) connected either via Ethernet or 2.4GHz Wifi or 2.4GHz (proprietary protocols).
Again, they are powered from 12V or 5V. If you connect them via Ethernet you can use a pair of wires for powering (either from a PoE NVR, PoE injector, PoE switch or a power supply).
If the camera uses a generic protocol (ONVIF, RTP, etc.) you can connect them to whatever storage you want.

=> storage (backup were to save the video footage)
-local HDD (on a NVR, a computer, your own media server),
-local SD card,
-your personal cloud,
-paid cloud (which logically it requires monthly payment).

=> detection alarms (to know when someone got into your house):
- some are better, some are worse. If you use PIR movement, vibration, open window/door sensors then you make use of this information.

You want to install them in a very inaccessible place. In generally they are installed to have overlapping areas, but for the beginning, one-two are good enough.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 3rd Nov
MynameisM03/11/2019 19:30

That's the other thing most cameras I have seen don't mention they have a …That's the other thing most cameras I have seen don't mention they have a backup battery fitted in them so anyone can just cut the wire or trip the electric off for other camera's aswell so I suppose doesnt make much differenceor do they all have built in battery backup.

Most NVR-based systems & cams don't have battery backup. A variation on earlier referenced self-contained external cam with floodlight and 8hr back-up battery is £32 fulfilled Amazon, or currently £18 used amazon.co.uk/dp/…NM/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants