Groups

CCTV Camera's for our saftey or to spy on us.

What do you think about CCTV camera's do you think there is too much of them and they are abusing the use of them or do you think its a good thing we have so many.

24 Comments

or is it invading our privacy in the interest of keeping us safe?

How often have we heard the news reporting that there were no witnesses to a crime? or if there were any witnesses they are too afraid to come forward?

I think it's a good thing. I feel safer if I know there are cameras watching and I don't do anything wrong as such so have nothing to hide

hannah19790;3076763

I think it's a good thing. I feel safer if I know there are cameras … I think it's a good thing. I feel safer if I know there are cameras watching and I don't do anything wrong as such so have nothing to hide

So says the person with a gun as an avatar! :-D

Im less sure about the whole 'safety' thing. I think it was may time that there were figures saying that only 3% of street crime was using solved using CCTV in London. Considering that london has got the highest rate of CCTV you've got to ask, whats the point?

If so little criminals are being prosecuted for street crime, even in heavy CCTV areas, they won't even act as a deterrent eventually.

And if there ever was a time that they wanted to keep an eye on us, the systems already in place :whistling: ooooh conspiracy.....

]http//ww…me1

If you think thats an invasion of privacy take a look at this
    ]http//ne…ive

How do i know that you are not a member of the government my views will remain personal just in case big brother comes after me!!:p

hannah19790;3076763

I think it's a good thing. I feel safer if I know there are cameras … I think it's a good thing. I feel safer if I know there are cameras watching and I don't do anything wrong as such so have nothing to hide

i agree, nothing to hide, so welcome it :thumbsup:

I think I'd rather have a video of me rather than the hazy memory of a dubiously reliable witness. Especially if said witness SEEMED to be competent.

Original Poster

They were speaking about it on my local radio station saying they are putting more in place for our safety but im not sure where they can put them as all they main areas in my town are already covered with them.

This is what makes me wonder whether they are for our own safety or not.

Original Poster

Some_Bloke;3077063

I think I'd rather have a video of me rather than the hazy memory of a … I think I'd rather have a video of me rather than the hazy memory of a dubiously reliable witness. Especially if said witness SEEMED to be competent.

Yeah agreed but as said about the percentage of crimes caught on CCTV is pathetic considering the volume of CCTV cams there are.

Whether it's for our safety, or for to just watch you, it doesn't really matter. It's makes good television viewing on those cctv clip shows.

if they actually did more with the cctv footage it would be more useful - some **** keyed my GF's car yesterday, right outside our house too. I reckon we should have CCTV on every street then we could line up the bl00dy idiots and shoot em all.

they a good idea in theory. if u doing nothing wrong then dont see the prob;lem but they dont nessasrily get used as evidence. my ex stole 300pound from bank account at midnight. cos it was midnight they couldnt see him on the camera. i mean come on, if your gonna put cctv where cash machines are your clearly trying to prevent crime at cash machine. best time to do that would surley be at night when less people about.

rocket science

that 3% thing. not nessasarily cos cameras arent catching them tough.

"not in public intrest to prosecute" ive heard this told tom me twice. once about someone threatening to stab me (over text), he later went on to become a police officer in my local area.

and once when my ex was proven dna from blood, and finger prints, which then led to a confession about breaking into my flat.

Banned

yeah.... its no fun anymore- cant even pick your nose in privacy!!

I reckon CCTV reduces crime being commited a lot more than it helps solve it, there are so many cameras they can't all be monitored all of the time but managed well by well trained people in association with well trained security and the police, they greatly reduce crime. I've worked in Aberdeen City centre using A CCTV system and we were able to radio the majority of businesses in the city centre with a security person/team and the city centre CCTV team (police monitored civilians). After regular arrests and prevention the shoplifters were/are going further out of Aberdeen where there is less CCTV / security.

Unfortunately with the amount of people who actively commit crime at all levels we need CCTV and more police.

Some_Bloke;3077063

I think I'd rather have a video of me rather than the hazy memory of a … I think I'd rather have a video of me rather than the hazy memory of a dubiously reliable witness. Especially if said witness SEEMED to be competent.

But, conviently its never in the right place. I was attacked in on of leicester main streets, theres about 13-15 cameras on it. Around 5 of these pointing exactly at the place that it happened, however, apparently they didnt 'see' anything. I find that pretty hard to believe, I think a lot of the time there is so much red tape involved to get the information and footage that it gets put off.

I don't have anything to hide either, but doesn't mean I should be watch in everything I do.

Banned

Jonster;3081956

But, conviently its never in the right place. I was attacked in on of … But, conviently its never in the right place. I was attacked in on of leicester main streets, theres about 13-15 cameras on it. Around 5 of these pointing exactly at the place that it happened, however, apparently they didnt 'see' anything. I find that pretty hard to believe, I think a lot of the time there is so much red tape involved to get the information and footage that it gets put off.I don't have anything to hide either, but doesn't mean I should be watch in everything I do.

Sorry to hear that, i hope you are feeling better x x

mummyspam1985;3077519

that 3% thing. not nessasarily cos cameras arent catching them tough. … that 3% thing. not nessasarily cos cameras arent catching them tough. "not in public intrest to prosecute" ive heard this told tom me twice. once about someone threatening to stab me (over text), he later went on to become a police officer in my local area. and once when my ex was proven dna from blood, and finger prints, which then led to a confession about breaking into my flat.

would we not be better placing you on a street corner instead of a camera , as you seem to keep catching these people doing stuff ..:whistling:

They are fine......they can only watch you in a Public place anyway so nothing wrong with that.....people have the choice to be recluses if they don't like it. lol. They aren't allowed to use them to look in your home etc.

The irony is is that people get funny about taking photos in public places...

Im fine now DLM, it was two halloweens ago, went in Clockwork Orange gear....which was unfortunte.

Banned

Jonster;3082424

The irony is is that people get funny about taking photos in public … The irony is is that people get funny about taking photos in public places...Im fine now DLM, it was two halloweens ago, went in Clockwork Orange gear....which was unfortunte.

I have been at the receiving end of these thugs on many occasions.

I think that the government needs to get tougher on criminals.

vinnyabdn;3078082

IAfter regular arrests and prevention the shoplifters were/are going … IAfter regular arrests and prevention the shoplifters were/are going further out of Aberdeen where there is less CCTV / security.

And here lies the problem, you're not solving the problem, you're just moving i, once all the shops in the city centre are secure, they'll just moving onto houses, with no CCTV around
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3361206
      2. What is there free to do in your town?1423
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…68
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…2044

See more discussions