Groups

cctv for the elderly

My nan took a fall this week and I was wanting to put cctv in her living room and kitchen. Any recommendations ? She has no wifi so I will get some installed on a cheap monthly contract

14 Comments

I was told by social services that you can get a fall mat for the floor, which alerts you when someone has fallen. Not seen one, but may be worth googling.

Assume she has a pendant alarm already. very reassuring to have. We were uncomfortable "spying" on Dad so we have Canary Care which monitors movement and messages me if he doesn't move in custom pre-set timescales etc. I can tell which room he is in at any given time and for how long he has been there.....
    canarycare.co.uk/

If a 'live' feed is what you are after, one you can check on your mobile, then I can recommend
    ucam247 They have night vision too. Recordings are a mixed experience, but live feed is good.

mackey24680

...She has no wifi so I will get some installed on a cheap monthly … ...She has no wifi so I will get some installed on a cheap monthly contract

Does she have a landline, and if so: who is the provider? There may be a few solutions available depending on provider.

going on the amount of data my dlink cam can get through you may have to go for an unlimited plan
    Edited by: "mattmerch" 8th Jun

IMO, getting Internet and installing 2 cheap IP cameras with alerts based on events would be cheaper than going for subscription based services. You don't have to use WiFi, but wired ethernet connection which is stable and less maintenance.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Does she have a landline, and if so: who is the provider? There may be a … Does she have a landline, and if so: who is the provider? There may be a few solutions available depending on provider.

Yes bt

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Does she have a landline, and if so: who is the provider? There may be a … Does she have a landline, and if so: who is the provider? There may be a few solutions available depending on provider.

Yes bt

suniil

IMO, getting Internet and installing 2 cheap IP cameras with alerts based … IMO, getting Internet and installing 2 cheap IP cameras with alerts based on events would be cheaper than going for subscription based services. You don't have to use WiFi, but wired ethernet connection which is stable and less maintenance.

​Agree completely with this. Avoid WiFi for a hassle free setup especially given the intended use

Yes, get cheap broadband & a wireless camera for each room. They will send alerts to your phone as well as video footage when there is movement on your camera. You can of course check remotely whenever you want to see your mother without her knowing the frequency.

73greystoke

Yes, get cheap broadband & a wireless camera for each room. They will … Yes, get cheap broadband & a wireless camera for each room. They will send alerts to your phone as well as video footage when there is movement on your camera. You can of course check remotely whenever you want to see your mother without her knowing the frequency.

Not much point in knowing when the person has moved, unless you want email alerts of granny going to the toilet or making cups of tea. More interested in when the person has stopped moving, but equally, images of granny happily watching TV are kinda intrusive with no benefit.

mackey24680

Yes bt

Apologies, I thought BT offered a special rate to pensioners, but seems I was confusing this with the discounted BT Basic product aimed at customers claiming certain benefits, and the price is also not as attractive as I thought I recalled btplc.com/inc…htm

I recommend Arlo Q, has 2 way audio as well. Easy to setup, has phone app and cloud storage. It is mains not batteries as some of the reviewers suggest.

amazon.co.uk/Arl…o+q

Edited by: "mrbjolly" 9th Jun

I Had the same problem a few years ago and brought two of These from Amazon .
    They are Full HD , and the night vision is Cristal clear , the Camera spins around from the app on your phone and zooms in and also two way sound so you had talk to you parent and they can talk back ....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. seller asked for IMEI1010
      2. parquet floor sanded57
      3. Decent hoover66
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…22

See more discussions