CCTV Installation

Posted 11th Jul
I'm after CCTV installation and I've managed to get a couple of quotes off of trustatrader.com but one of the companies have quoted me £500+ and another has quoted £900.

The £500+ quote was very vague and just told me that it included 4 cameras, recording box linked to TV, mobile installation, Hikvision system.

The £900 quote includes 3 HD cameras, mobile installation (notifications and alerts), 4 channel DVR, 1TB hard drive, wireless extenders to eliminate internal cabling. Didn't name what system they used.

I think £900 is a bit expensive so I'm leaning more towards the £500 quote but I don't want the bare minimum if that makes sense so I'm after people's views and thoughts. I'm from Barnsley so if anyone round there can recommend then that would be great ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Ask them the system specs? It could be 720p or 500gb HDD.

I'm no expert but that's what I would ask them first.
Edited by: "D3SI" 11th Jul
Best thing to do is get 3 or 4 quotes and take it from there. The cheapest isn't always the best. Plus when you have drilling and wires involved you don't want a cowboy coming to do the work. Just like any tradesman you pay for their experience and quality not just for the items. I would rather pay more money and have somebody who cares about how their work looks after it's finished. You also say yourself the cheapest guy was very vague. That's a no from me straight away. If you're not even passionate about what you do for a living then why would he be passionate about doing a top quality job.
Where you based?
So your having IP cameras?
They are normally a bit more expensive
Do a bit more research and work out exactly what you want. Then give the tradesman the system you need a quote for. Otherwise you could end up with a £100 ebay system and quotes for more quality systems looking expensive in comparison. You need to be comparing like for like.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 11th Jul
Without receiving a full description of what they plan installing, your answer should be NO.
- what NVR ? (and not DVR via coax cables). Ideally go for an 8 ports rather than only 4.
- what HDD ?
- what type of cameras ?
I paid about £600 for a 3 camera hikvision system with 2 tb drive and that was me fitting them myself
That was 3 years ago
Depends in what quality you want I guess
Running cables from the attic where I keep the nvr is not a quick job
Edited by: "snoopy18" 11th Jul
shef007211/07/2020 19:21

So your having IP cameras?They are normally a bit more expensive

I've got no idea. I literally just want CCTV but didn't know it was a minefield when asking for quotes.
snoopy1811/07/2020 20:01

I paid £700 for a 3 camera hikvision system with 2 tb drive and that was …I paid £700 for a 3 camera hikvision system with 2 tb drive and that was me fitting them myself That was 3 years ago Depends in what quality you want I guess Running cables from the attic where I keep the nvr is not a quick job

Would you say hikvision is a good quality system? Also, what is NVR, how is that different to DVR?
snoopy1811/07/2020 20:18

Comment deleted

Presumabely, OP's next question is "why should I go for nvr then?"
3 hours from the guy I used was excellent competitive and very professional
I had 6 cameras fitted 5mp Hik-Connect 1tb storage £575 all in
MadeDixonsCry11/07/2020 20:40

Presumabely, OP's next question is "why should I go for nvr then?"

I didn't catch on to that but yeah what is the difference
shef007211/07/2020 20:45

I had 6 cameras fitted 5mp Hik-Connect 1tb storage £575 all in

That's very good. Can I ask, where are you based?
- NVR is not the same as DVR. If you go for a NVR (IP cameras and Ethernet cable) you're going to have more flexibility (now and in the future).
- Hikvision are fine, but their price range is pretty large. A bad deal will be to pay more than it should. You mentioned about a "4 cameras Hikvision". Without having too many details from you this system could as well be a HiWatch by Hikvision for example which are good for the money, but way less than your price.
Was the £500 quote from these guys by chance? barnsleysecuritysystems.co.uk/cct…tml

If not I recommend these as they have done installations for my clients. Highly recommended. Also gave advice when I needed to modify system 9 months later.
joemaries11/07/2020 21:16

Was the £500 quote from these guys by chance? …Was the £500 quote from these guys by chance? http://www.barnsleysecuritysystems.co.uk/cctv.htmlIf not I recommend these as they have done installations for my clients. Highly recommended. Also gave advice when I needed to modify system 9 months later.

Not sure. I will check but if it wasn't then I'll get in touch with them for a quote.
Definitely go NVR which is PoE (Power over ethernet) so you have 1 cable for each camera instead of the old way of 1 cable for power and 1 for data.

You should spend some time googling security camera systems and checking youtube for reviews to get an idea of what you want then you can see if you're being ripped off.
If you have access to a decent sized ladder and drill, do it yourself. CCTV systems are plug and play on purchase. I recommend buying the system yourself. Look through the manual and plug and play it without physically installing and you may be more confident after that to install it yourself.

Couple of tips...
Your gutters and down pipes are your best friends to hide cables.
Try to install your dvr in your loft, and if you do and you struggle with internet access there use a powerline adapter.
To extend cctv cables, you can buy premade ones online for very cheap OR buy double barrel cable and you can buy the bnc connectors and DC plug connectors online for very cheap.
IMO try to go with cabled cctv rather than WIFI IP cameras, unless you hardwire them with poe cables.

Worse case scenario, if all fails above and you find yourself not confident in installing the system, hire a handy man to come to install it instead.
Also when working out where you cameras should be, draw a rough sketch of your house and mark out entry points with crosses or arrows. Align camera on the sketch for maximum coverage of entry/exit points. CCTV (closed circuit tv) is more about understanding these points. You can put loads of cameras dotted around your house, but in most instances, 1-2 will suffice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants