CCTV recomendation

Posted 2nd AprEdited by:"PeteW"
Hi,

I am looking for a CCTV system, but am confused by all the different options, and I'm not sure what it is I need.

I want videos to be stored locally on my network, not just on the cloud. I've no interest in paying for a monthly subscription. Ideally, would be stored on my existing NAS but if I need a separate DVR, that's fine. Videos should be viewable by a decent app and if I can also view them on my TV somehow, that's a bonus.

Must support Power Over Ethernet cameras, connecting to the existing network, rather than plugging something directly into a DVR. Wifi support a bonus.

Ideally no limit on the number of cameras and will work with a variety of cameras.

Any recommendations? Most things I see either store in the cloud (for a fee), or an SD card, or to a DVR via a BNC connector.

Thanks

Pete
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Hikvision ticks all your requirements, though you'll need a nvr to power over ethernet, you can connect as many as your heart desires (limited by the nvr). You can view the recorded video either on a monitor/pc/app (app is half decent)/tv (depending on the nvr, but most have hdmi).
They offer a sort of dyndns (free) option so you can always connect no matter if your ip is dynamic or static.
I'm pretty sure there are more brands that will do the same thing but I'm happy with that one and highly recommend it
I am looking into using an old phone as a CCTV camera. I haven't looked into the nitty-gritty side of things but will be looking into using Box to do cloud backups via WIFI.
zworld02/04/2020 11:26

I am looking into using an old phone as a CCTV camera. I haven't looked …I am looking into using an old phone as a CCTV camera. I haven't looked into the nitty-gritty side of things but will be looking into using Box to do cloud backups via WIFI.

Why would you want to use an old phone as a CCTV camera when you can buy a purpose-made Yi Home or Outdoor camera cheap enough?
Haircut_10002/04/2020 11:41

Why would you want to use an old phone as a CCTV camera when you can buy a …Why would you want to use an old phone as a CCTV camera when you can buy a purpose-made Yi Home or Outdoor camera cheap enough?

Because I have a few lying about.
zworld02/04/2020 12:00

Because I have a few lying about.

Yeah, but they aren't designed for that job. But hey, if that's what you want to try and do then good luck.
zombic02/04/2020 11:06

Hikvision ticks all your requirements, though you'll need a nvr to power …Hikvision ticks all your requirements, though you'll need a nvr to power over ethernet, you can connect as many as your heart desires (limited by the nvr). You can view the recorded video either on a monitor/pc/app (app is half decent)/tv (depending on the nvr, but most have hdmi). They offer a sort of dyndns (free) option so you can always connect no matter if your ip is dynamic or static. I'm pretty sure there are more brands that will do the same thing but I'm happy with that one and highly recommend it

Thanks! Though looking at the Hikvision ones they all seem to have a set number of channel/ports on the back of the NVR. Is that the only way to connect a camera, or if the camera is connected to an existing switch/router, will that still work?

I've already got ethernet run around my home and have various switches conveniently located ready to plug camera into, so don't want to wire all cameras directly to the NVR.
Netatmo presence - awesome device...
PeteW02/04/2020 12:14

Thanks! Though looking at the Hikvision ones they all seem to have a set …Thanks! Though looking at the Hikvision ones they all seem to have a set number of channel/ports on the back of the NVR. Is that the only way to connect a camera, or if the camera is connected to an existing switch/router, will that still work?I've already got ethernet run around my home and have various switches conveniently located ready to plug camera into, so don't want to wire all cameras directly to the NVR.

I belive you can set separate ip for every camera with the use of simple software (there's lots of tutorials/videos available online showing how to do that) but then I'm not entirely sure what would you use to store the recorded video with (nas or a server maybe) but from my point of view the hassle of doing it that way may not be worth the saving of the dedicated nvr.

Nvr operates its own dhcp and all is done by the ethernet and I'm only limited by the number of devices I can connect, but saying that 64 channel nvrs are available (should be more than enough for a house or business)

... if you use anything else then the nvr how will you power up the cameras through the router in a safely manner (did not look that much into it - no doubt there's some little gizmo made for it).

For me personally I could not justify a small saving (as the cost will be quite significant for decent cameras setup) and skip on the nvr to mess about with 3rd party options that could but not necessarily work
Edited by: "zombic" 2nd Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions