CCTV Recommendation

Posted 23rd Jul
Hi,

I’m looking to purchase and install a decent cctv 4 camera system that’s 4K at my home address and have come across the below package on eBay.

Can anyone recommend a better system for the same money or a cheaper alternative that’s the same spec?

ebay.co.uk/itm…491
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Thats not 4K is it? Missing some pixels bud
It stated in the description it was/is?!
As I say I’m quite new and ignorant to the best quality as I’ve never had to purchase previously so any guidance or advice would be gladly welcomed.

The main purpose of the system is for security against intruders onto the property or potential burglars etc to ensure day and night there is a clear image of anyone or their registration number
You won’t get 4K at £250 for the full kit. You’re looking more around £800 for a proper 4K system. Hikvision NVR and 4 x 8MP network cameras.
Ok it probably sounds quite overkill at that price for the purpose of what I am intending to use it for. Have you a recommendation for a suitable kit around the £250 mark? Or do you think the one I have put a link for would suffice?
£471.59 for a 4K system from Reolink
reolink.com/pro…d4/

You can see how good the Reolink is at showing text clearly in this review video
ebay.co.uk/itm…850

What’s people’s thoughts with this system for the money
I have upgraded to this system and am very happy with it. The piture quality is great too.

amazon.co.uk/Ver…TF8
2020Essex23/07/2020 15:29

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283756433850What’s people’s thoughts with this s …https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283756433850What’s people’s thoughts with this system for the money

Utter garbage

What's your budget and what's your technical skills like?
I’ve fitted a few Swann wired kits to a couple of offices for a friend of mine so competent enough to wire and set them up. As for budget, I’m looking Upto £450 ish
markvirgo23/07/2020 19:17

I have upgraded to this system and am very happy with it. The piture …I have upgraded to this system and am very happy with it. The piture quality is great too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Version-SANNCE-Security-Ethernet-Instant/dp/B07HHXFP4S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

While the system looks reasonable, I’m after something with a clearer picture to be fair and with better night vision which is why I’ve been looking at some of the 5mp and 4K sets. Appreciate your recommendation tho thanks 😁 🏻
And how many cameras do you need?
When you say you have wired Swann kits, these the oher DIY ones with pre made cables etc, or are you savvy enough to make your own RJ45 connections or BNC (or use a balun)
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 20:19

And how many cameras do you need? When you say you have wired Swann kits, …And how many cameras do you need? When you say you have wired Swann kits, these the oher DIY ones with pre made cables etc, or are you savvy enough to make your own RJ45 connections or BNC (or use a balun)

If only I was savvy enough ... No they were premade cables and your typical diy kits (their 5mp ones), but for the money I didn’t rate them personally. I was just asked to fit what had been supplied by a friend.

As for cameras I need 4.
Edited by: "2020Essex" 23rd Jul
2020Essex23/07/2020 20:13

While the system looks reasonable, I’m after something with a clearer p …While the system looks reasonable, I’m after something with a clearer picture to be fair and with better night vision which is why I’ve been looking at some of the 5mp and 4K sets. Appreciate your recommendation tho thanks 😁 🏻

2mp generally better for night images so don't get too hooked on the higher the MP the better the image, scrap 4K too, for true 4K you need more budget, HDD space etc etc.
Also dependent on other factors like ambient lighting, IR bleed...
Another thing to add is the cheaper kit is just as good as an expensive one if a criminal has a mask on.

They are more of a deterant etc then anything else.
2020Essex23/07/2020 20:13

While the system looks reasonable, I’m after something with a clearer p …While the system looks reasonable, I’m after something with a clearer picture to be fair and with better night vision which is why I’ve been looking at some of the 5mp and 4K sets. Appreciate your recommendation tho thanks 😁 🏻

4K resolution is only delivered by 8MP cameras. As the first poster says, 5MP doesn’t have the pixels to make a 4K image. I think it just means the DVR is capable of recording 4K and/or outputting it via HDMI.

Resolution isn’t everything. Rather have a quality 4/6MP camera than a cheap 4K/8MP. Quality means being able to record higher frame rates at max resolution, how long it stays in colour approaching dusk, a metal body rather than plastic and how good the night image is. It can also means features such as reliable and adjustable motion detection areas/alerts and recording in H.265+ to reduce space used on hard drive.

In daytime viewing, any cheap system will look good but checking the above, the differences become stark.

Industry standard is a minimum of 4MP cameras with an NVR (for professional installers). DVR tech is old and therefore cheaper and means you have to run 2 cables instead of 1 to each cam and they often lack on smart features and inter compatibility of camera makes. Unless you have a long front drive/garden, do you need 4K resolution?

Check out Cctvkits.co.uk for a decent system then compare against a Swann or Anker system you’ve seen. Not saying those are bad, just depends on budget and what you need. Youtube vids are helpful for comparisons.
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 20:22

2mp generally better for night images so don't get too hooked on the …2mp generally better for night images so don't get too hooked on the higher the MP the better the image, scrap 4K too, for true 4K you need more budget, HDD space etc etc.Also dependent on other factors like ambient lighting, IR bleed...

What makes a 2mp kit better for night vision over a 5mp?
OK, my advice is get looking for four Hikvision DS-2CE16D8T-IT3E 3.6mm POC (power over co-ax bullet camera) dynamic-cctv.com/dtv…tml 8 of these
A DVR
A drum of cat5
Then a 2TB hdd

Easy peasy set up, plug and play really. Running the cat5 also gives you scope to change in the future without running new cables.

Yes, it's not as simple as the pre made leads, but far far better.

Also, get asking for quotes froom local companies, they need the work at the moment and is very competative
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 23rd Jul
2020Essex23/07/2020 20:40

What makes a 2mp kit better for night vision over a 5mp?

Copes better in low light.
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 20:40

OK, my advice is get looking for four Hikvision DS-2CE16D8T-IT3E 3.6mm POC …OK, my advice is get looking for four Hikvision DS-2CE16D8T-IT3E 3.6mm POC (power over co-ax bullet camera) https://www.dynamic-cctv.com/dtv-balun-lead-hd-poc.html 8 of theseA DVR A drum of cat5Then a 2TB hddEasy peasy set up, plug and play really. Running the cat5 also gives you scope to change in the future without running new cables.Yes, it's not as simple as the pre made leads, but far far better. Also, get asking for quotes froom local companies, they need the work at the moment and is very competatvive

Can get premade cables at any length which is what i’d recommend rather than having to crimp for a first timer as it’s another job having to sort it out.
Sam22323/07/2020 20:39

Industry standard is a minimum of 4MP cameras with an NVR (for …Industry standard is a minimum of 4MP cameras with an NVR (for professional installers). DVR tech is old and therefore cheaper and means you have to run 2 cables instead of 1 to each cam and they often lack on smart features and inter compatibility of camera makes.

Good info there apart from this bit, DVR's still being installed and you can run just the one cable, older tech is not dead yet.
I am in the trade and don't see the need for daft fancy all singing all dancing NVR etc on my house, I can stlll alter camera settings up the co-ax when the need arises.
Sam22323/07/2020 20:44

Can get premade cables at any length which is what i’d recommend rather t …Can get premade cables at any length which is what i’d recommend rather than having to crimp for a first timer as it’s another job having to sort it out.

Which is why I suggested a balun instead of crimping BNC/RJ45, I would not recommend pre made for the fact you go to the effort of running a cable, then to find the pre made end was not exactly that well pre made.
markvirgo23/07/2020 20:31

Another thing to add is the cheaper kit is just as good as an expensive …Another thing to add is the cheaper kit is just as good as an expensive one if a criminal has a mask on. They are more of a deterant etc then anything else.

You're not wrong there about the mask (or hood up)
But when you buy a cheaper kit you run the risk of early failing of cheaper components, as with most things that though.
Sam22323/07/2020 20:39

4K resolution is only delivered by 8MP cameras. As the first poster says, …4K resolution is only delivered by 8MP cameras. As the first poster says, 5MP doesn’t have the pixels to make a 4K image. I think it just means the DVR is capable of recording 4K and/or outputting it via HDMI.Resolution isn’t everything. Rather have a quality 4/6MP camera than a cheap 4K/8MP. Quality means being able to record higher frame rates at max resolution, how long it stays in colour approaching dusk, a metal body rather than plastic and how good the night image is. It can also means features such as reliable and adjustable motion detection areas/alerts and recording in H.265+ to reduce space used on hard drive. In daytime viewing, any cheap system will look good but checking the above, the differences become stark. Industry standard is a minimum of 4MP cameras with an NVR (for professional installers). DVR tech is old and therefore cheaper and means you have to run 2 cables instead of 1 to each cam and they often lack on smart features and inter compatibility of camera makes. Unless you have a long front drive/garden, do you need 4K resolution?Check out Cctvkits.co.uk for a decent system then compare against a Swann or Anker system you’ve seen. Not saying those are bad, just depends on budget and what you need. Youtube vids are helpful for comparisons.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a detailed bit of advice, I shall look in to those points and try and find a more suitable system.

I had read about the H.265+ as it compresses the video etc and picked up on that being something I was looking for 🏻

I didn’t realise about NVR and it the difference between the single/twin cables and their lack of smart features so again something else you’ve taught me thanks
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 20:40

OK, my advice is get looking for four Hikvision DS-2CE16D8T-IT3E 3.6mm POC …OK, my advice is get looking for four Hikvision DS-2CE16D8T-IT3E 3.6mm POC (power over co-ax bullet camera) https://www.dynamic-cctv.com/dtv-balun-lead-hd-poc.html 8 of theseA DVR A drum of cat5Then a 2TB hddEasy peasy set up, plug and play really. Running the cat5 also gives you scope to change in the future without running new cables.Yes, it's not as simple as the pre made leads, but far far better. Also, get asking for quotes froom local companies, they need the work at the moment and is very competative

As for a local fitter, luckily a friend of mine is an electrician by trade who I do work for and has offered the help with supplying the cable and wiring the connectors so that’s a bonus as he also said he’ll show me for future reference the best way to do it 😁 🏻

I shall look into these cameras and the DVR mentioned.

I had been looking at min of 2 TB HDD to be fair
2020Essex23/07/2020 20:59

As for a local fitter, luckily a friend of mine is an electrician by trade …As for a local fitter, luckily a friend of mine is an electrician by trade who I do work for and has offered the help with supplying the cable and wiring the connectors so that’s a bonus as he also said he’ll show me for future reference the best way to do it 😁 🏻 I shall look into these cameras and the DVR mentioned.I had been looking at min of 2 TB HDD to be fair

Bonus that then for sure, I only have 1TB and it does 16 days of 24/7 recording, so 2TB for a month is plenty IMO.

Those cameras I linked I have one on the back, I will upload a night image let you decide for yourself, does me fine though.
Also, if your mate is in the trade , maybe he can get you decent prices on none DIY kit?
Edited by: "SaltyExpert" 23rd Jul
41473804-2XnGo.jpgZero ambient light out there, goes instant colour when floodlight comes on.
41473825-FvSvj.jpg

Do not even think about fitting this type outside though
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 21:04

Bonus that then for sure, I only have 1TB and it does 16 days of 24/7 …Bonus that then for sure, I only have 1TB and it does 16 days of 24/7 recording, so 2TB for a month is plenty IMO.Those cameras I linked I have one on the back, I will upload a night image let you decide for yourself, does me fine though. Also, if your mate is in the trade , maybe he can get you decent prices on none DIY kit?

Yeah I had read that the 1TB was around that time frame for recording which is why I looked for minimum of 2 as we are often away for Upto 3 weeks at a time so I’d rather have footage of the entire time the property may be vacant should the need arise to search for an incident.

We quite often use each other’s trade accounts for things we need so I’ll give him the details of the recommended cameras/DVR and see how it compares on trade through local wholesalers.

That would be great if you are able to upload an image as it’s quite difficult to rely on reviews on a lot of systems and pictures that people post as you never can be sure the reviews are legit.

Luckily as well the property is extremely well lit with led pir security lights around the majority of it which will assist in the clearer recording I would imagine
SaltyExpert23/07/2020 21:11

[Image] Do not even think about fitting this type outside though

Again, any particular reason behind this?

I really appreciate you taking the time here to answer the questions and educate me 🏻
2020Essex23/07/2020 21:18

Again, any particular reason behind this? I really appreciate you taking …Again, any particular reason behind this? I really appreciate you taking the time here to answer the questions and educate me 🏻

They suffer from IR bleed massively, if the seal isn't quite 100% they suffer from condensation.

41473928-UgUZ9.jpgor
41473928-9qgL2.jpg Type for outside
Make sure it’s a surveillance drive like WD purple
or seagate skywolf.
I have brought cheap CCTV kits previously and they fail. Hikvision are a decent brand that aren't too pricey and they have been pretty decent so far. The most expensive part of the system is the storage (don't buy cheap) and 4K video takes up a lot of space so better off getting a decent HD system, IMO. Cat5 cables are easy to make up, just get a cheap crimper pack and a roll of solid copper outdoor cable from Kenable, and you have the flexibility to run your cables anywhere. The baluns are cheap and easy to use.

CPC sell Hikvision stuff at a reasonable price, you could put together a 4 camera system for under £200 before storage. A 4Tb CCTV HD for under £100, make sure you get a new CCTV hard drive with warranty. I have used a warranty on one of these drives.

With the Baluns and cable you should have a decent system for under £350.
Make sure you look at the night time performance specs for the cams.

Also the larger the CCD on the cam and the lower the focal length the more likely it will be better at night in low light.

Both Dahua and Hikvision do 4Mp cams that are able to run in colour mode in low light conditions but they are not cheap.

I installed Dahua 2Mp starlight cams, when I put the system together these were the best but since Dahua have released 4Mp versions which I’m thinking of getting a few.
IAmATeaf24/07/2020 20:53

Make sure you look at the night time performance specs for the cams.Also …Make sure you look at the night time performance specs for the cams.Also the larger the CCD on the cam and the lower the focal length the more likely it will be better at night in low light.Both Dahua and Hikvision do 4Mp cams that are able to run in colour mode in low light conditions but they are not cheap.I installed Dahua 2Mp starlight cams, when I put the system together these were the best but since Dahua have released 4Mp versions which I’m thinking of getting a few.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have a look in more detail at the camera spec in relation to the CCD and the lower focal length as I wasn’t aware of this 😁 🏻
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants