CCTV Set Up

Found 10th Apr
Right, please excuse my lack of knowledge but I feel like spending £150/200 is rather a lot for my needs. I’m buying a new car and don’t trust one of my jealous neighbours. I want a CCTV camera to cover my driveway which will record the drive while my car is there. I can point one down from the top bedroom or would need to put one underneath the garage roof. I’ve seen the latest deals on here for the YI cams.

I don’t want to get camera which will require a hard drive and monitor/tv. But I believe ones with SD cards will not even record more than a day at 720p?!

What would you suggest as a good set up, I need one camera which I can record. I wouldn’t mind paying a little amount for cloud storage but I would need an easy set up and install. Either that or buy a dummy cam. I need as cheap as possible!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. CCTV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. CCTV
Top comments
Buying a new car, but £150 is a lot for security?
14 Comments
I have a wireless 1080p monitoring the drive which is 41£ on eBay. Link to your wireless router and then use cameraftp to store triggered imsges from movement.

Works well and you can set sensitivity of camera. I got a Szsinocam.

Also can receive alerts on your mobile plus see live stream wherever you are.
Edited by: "numb3r9" 10th Apr
benjammin31634 m ago

This sample, people who buy £800 phones and use a £1 phone case.
Spend cheap spend twice when stuff like this involves a new car
Original Poster
benjammin3161 h, 16 m ago

Yeah I don’t want to be spending a lot on a camera. But thanks for your input.
Edited by: "jonnytnufc" 10th Apr
Original Poster
googleboogle43 m ago

This sample, people who buy £800 phones and use a £1 phone case.Spend c …This sample, people who buy £800 phones and use a £1 phone case.Spend cheap spend twice when stuff like this involves a new car

However there will be perfectly good ‘cheaper’ alternatives available which people may have experience with rather than forking out for needless features etc. But thanks anyway
Original Poster
artnada1 h, 12 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/yi-dome-camera-pantiltzoom-wireless-ip-security-surveillance-system-720p-hd-night-vision-cloud-service-available-2399-delivered-sold-by-yi-official-store-uk-and-fulfilled-by-amazon-2923331?page=1

Thanks that’s what I was referring too, have you bought this? Do you know whether it would be good through a window? Do you need to use the YI cloud service?
jonnytnufc10 m ago

Thanks that’s what I was referring too, have you bought this? Do you know w …Thanks that’s what I was referring too, have you bought this? Do you know whether it would be good through a window? Do you need to use the YI cloud service?

I have 5 of them! I subscribe to the cloud service for around £55 per year. It allows up to 5 cams for that price.

It will be OK through a window but you will have to switch off the IR filter because it will just reflect against the window.

So if there is a fairly good light by the front door you should be OK.
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also about to buy a new car and want CCTV to cover the drive. I have my eye on this one amazon.co.uk/dp/…_it at £110 with 1tb storage and the ability to live stream with app it would suit my needs. There is also the same thing without a hard drive for £55.99 in which you could purchase a separate hard drive and install it yourself which might be cheaper, although I didn't find it to be much cheaper. For me, I would rather not have the hassle for the little I would be saving.
A camera will make no difference if he really doesn’t like you.
Good luck
I've got a cheap 1080p outdoors IP camera monitoring the front, it is also a sneezsocam Szsinocam (bought in black friday event for £16), I currently get one and a half days continuous recording on a 16GB card (I believe it will support at least 64gb and possibly larger), due to its bit rate being pretty miserable though, averaging a bit under 1 Mb/s, about half the rate one of my 720p cameras.
Edited by: "melted" 10th Apr
thenormalone8 h, 23 m ago

I'd advise getting a 4MP CCTV system instead for crystal clear and …I'd advise getting a 4MP CCTV system instead for crystal clear and continuous recordings.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132360938483 £80 4ch NVRhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132405882287 £73 4MP PoE camerahttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382107664413 £49 1TB WD purple HDDhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121646392178 £9 20m outdoor CAT5e leadTotal cost = £211 with the option to add up to 3 more cameras.

This looks like a good setup. Sorry to thread hijack here but those things you listed, is that everything you would need to set up a simple 2 camera setup?

Also could you explain to me (cctv noob but good with computers etx) how you would set up a system like this from start to finish?

We had a professional cctv guy round but he wanted like £500 to install 2x 2mp cameras and put the recording box in the loft?
bbfb12314 h, 40 m ago

This looks like a good setup. Sorry to thread hijack here but those things …This looks like a good setup. Sorry to thread hijack here but those things you listed, is that everything you would need to set up a simple 2 camera setup?Also could you explain to me (cctv noob but good with computers etx) how you would set up a system like this from start to finish?We had a professional cctv guy round but he wanted like £500 to install 2x 2mp cameras and put the recording box in the loft?

Other than getting an additional ethernet cable for the second camera. The NVR powers the camera over PoE, so there is no need to run a separate power cable. The Hikvision recorders start with a prompt and take you through date/time setup when they are booted for the first time. It's also best to assign the NVR a static IP on your home network and do the port forwarding yourself instead of using the cloud setup which is limited to a single device iirc

£500 sounds a bit steep for 2x 1080p cameras installed. It's all dependant on brand however a cheapy no-brand 2 camera 1080p system would set you back approx £150~. Looks like you're being charged £350 for a couple of hours of labour if that. If you shop around, even at 1080p you can get much better bang for your buck e.g. Maplin are selling an 8ch kit with 4x 1080p cameras for £343.99: maplin.co.uk/p/l…6xt
Edited by: "thenormalone" 11th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants