Groups

CD WOW in receivership

If you are wondering why your orders from CD WOW have not arrived it's probably because the company is now in receivership. The receivers are actively looking for a buyer. Since the company has been banned from selling grey import CDs to the UK and Europe, and has been given a £41 million fine by the British High Court, potential buyers may be very few and far between.

I'm attaching the article for everyone to read (in case you didn't already know). I'm not ordering anything else from CD WOW until the situation becomes clearer. If you have outstanding orders, particularly if they are overdue, my advice is cancel while you can.

Article.............
    CD Wow! goes into receivership, offered for sale
    Online retailer forced to close after £41m BPI damages
    by Amy-Mae Elliott
    2 August 2007 - MCV is reporting that online retailer CD Wow! famous for selling cut price CDs, DVDs and games has gone into receivership.

Apparently the Hong Kong-based company is currently seeking "expressions of interest" for its assets and business.

The parent company, Music Trading Online, is claiming a turnover of $500 million (Hong Kong dollars) for last year.

CD Wow! hit the headlines in the UK most recently when it was ordered to pay millions to the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) for being in "substantial breach" of a previous agreement to stop them from importing cheap CDs from Hong Kong.

The High Court in London found them in contempt of court and subsequently ordered them to pay £37 million, plus interest, to the BPI.

It is not clear if this ruling, which totaled a £41 million pay out, is the reason behind CD Wow! going into receivership, but an industry insider has assured us that this is the case.

33 Comments

I must be psychic......i only said this a couple of weeks ago that it wasn't far away. LOL

Bad for people waiting for orders but great for the consumer who is sick of their shoddy service.

End of the discount code lottery with them then lol.

I still have a £5 voucher sitting in my inbox :roll:

Will they honour?

Pfft good, I've never had a good experience with them. Got one CD, case cracked. The second CD never turned up!

Well it is a sad case as now the rest can bump up their prices again, so not so good news for the consumer, unless you rip someone else's cd's or pay through the nose for your cd.

The rest have been cheaper for quite a while now anyway. :thumbsup:

Also, there will be a few people who will not be packing and delivering the packets anymore, these people will get laid off, they won't be bringing home any wages for the missus to go shopping or pay the mortgage, they might lose their house, join the band of unemployed and take that downward spiral in the abbyss....... never nice to see large companies go to the wall, for every person complaining there must be one praising them....times are getting tough again

edi

I still have a £5 voucher sitting in my inbox :roll: Will they honour?

Same here.:roll:

Lucky I've just got my refund from them, apparently someone stole my card details and placed over £800 worth of orders with CD-WOW. Funny why they all decided to order stuff from cd-wow? You'd think they'd go with a variety of companies once they'd got my details. Makes me think it was some kind of inside job!

I have ordered loads over the years , most orders I used a code though. My last batch of orders were at xmas where I had 15 £5 codes , and paid only a couple of quid for 10 dvd's and 5 cd's
    They only had themselves to blame

This is a sad time indeed. They've been pretty poor at achieving the best deals the last few months, but I've had no problems with CDWow.

It's a shame when companies like this vanish. Reminds me of the time it became apparent that DVD Soon was on it's way out :-( . Also there was another American site that always had voucher codes circling the net. EDIT - Just remembered it. It was Reel.com great site in its day!

Good to know - thanks

Well if we didn't get ripped off over the price of things here, then we wouldn't have to get them imported from Hong Kong !!!

Time to start downloading them again......

That's a shame. I always found them very good.

I've bought some good bargains from them without any problems and with quick delivery. Hopefully, whoever buys the company will carry on the good work.

Will miss them was a brilliant company until stupid BPI came into play.

i have an outstanding order what should i do? would cancelling it give ma arefund or should i just wait and see? and hope for the best

ChrisUK

Well if we didn't get ripped off over the price of things here, then we … Well if we didn't get ripped off over the price of things here, then we wouldn't have to get them imported from Hong Kong !!!Time to start downloading them again......

I have to agree. I assume this is a result of the BPI's racketeering.

I've long been a CD-wow customer and have nothing but good service from them for over 7 years. never had a problem.

Tis indeed sad...

my order was sucessfully cnceled and refund is being refunded so thats ok

They may have been good once but they are no good now

Big shame.

I get most if not all my asian films from CDwow. Got Kungfu Hustle when it first came out for around £6. Now i'll have to use another site where they charge £15 for the same disc and ask for postage.

rip cd-wow

who would people reccomend for cds now????

I ordered a PC game off CD-WOW in the morning of the 3rd of august. They sent me an email saying that it has been delayed but should be sent out on the 17th. Should i wait or should i cancel it asap? Also how do i go about cancelling it? Anyone got a contact email address?
    Thanks

This may help, but I had put in an order for pokemon pearl the us version so it was already out in late July, but they sent out an email saying it was out of stock and should be dispacthed a week and a bit later but during that week it was expected to be despatched they sent another email to delay it further.

to cancel just go into 'my orders' and click 'contact customer services' and fill out that form.

anyone know how much debt they are in, i presume they are in debt and if they fancy selling for 50p

oh well, looks like I'm not buying CD's again.

This explains why im still waiting on 2 orders! I have used Cd WOw for years and never had a problem. Such a shame.

Bang CD are good for CD's too, though they will probably be next!

...off to cancel my orders..

Crazy1

Also, there will be a few people who will not be packing and delivering … Also, there will be a few people who will not be packing and delivering the packets anymore, these people will get laid off, they won't be bringing home any wages for the missus to go shopping or pay the mortgage, they might lose their house, join the band of unemployed and take that downward spiral in the abbyss....... never nice to see large companies go to the wall, for every person complaining there must be one praising them....times are getting tough again

I'm not knocking the people that have 'mourned' the 'passing' of CDWOW (in terms of the loss of what WAS a reliable company providing decenct prices), but it seems like Crazy1 was really the only person thinking of others rather than himself.
    I don't know how many people CDWOW employed but due to a combination of management decisions & interference from others worried about their own profits these folks will be out of a job through no fault of their own....even if they get bought out, there's still no guarantees the buyer will keep everyone on. I guess only time will tell what happens......& we'll just have to wait & see.

JaimeC

This explains why im still waiting on 2 orders! I have used Cd WOw for … This explains why im still waiting on 2 orders! I have used Cd WOw for years and never had a problem. Such a shame.Bang CD are good for CD's too, though they will probably be next!...off to cancel my orders..

I'll back JaimeC on BangCD - Delivered in a couple of days (in good, solid cardboard mailers),
    £5.99 each on a couple of 'chart' titles

I hope they can just rebrand and open under another name for DVD's (dvdwow anyone? :roll:), but I don't think this will happen. :-(

I never really bought many CD's from them but their bargain R3 dvd's are hard to beat.

You will be missed. :cry:

Hi, This is a real shame, CD-Wow going into receivership. They're probably the most longest standing internet company that I've dealt with and their customer service was always exemplary. Guess that the competition got too much for them. Was wondering why an order that I'd tried to put together kept on failing and infuriating pop-ups were appearing over and over again. Hope that they will indeed rebrand/reform as they deserve the business.

Are any orders being sent out lately?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions