Groups

cd/dvd rom not working in dell laptop

only got my laptop last week new and the cd/dvd isnt working. tried dvd films...dvdr's with mp3s, mpeg's etc and they just dont laod up...and when i go to my computer i cant see my dvd drive...im on vista business...any ideas?

7 Comments

Original Poster

the drive spins but doesnt whizz and load up...

If you can't even see the drive there's a good chance it's the same problem that plagued XP.

randomfix.com/200…ve/

I think she got it off eBay. It was brand new though

I'd go with Mbeeching's recommendation, it's an irritating issue which I've seen quite a few times.

If that doesn't fix it, have a look in the bios and see if it's detecting the optical drive - if so, try booting from the optical drive outside of Windows with a Windows OS CD, Linux Live CD anything which will see if the drive will boot from it. If so, it's likely to be an issue with Windows rather than a hardware issue.

John

MBeeching

If you can't even see the drive there's a good chance it's the same … If you can't even see the drive there's a good chance it's the same problem that plagued XP.http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/12/windows-vista-%E2%80%93-missing-cddvd-rom-drive/

Ok I'm gunna try not to gush here but thank you so soooo much! This problem has plagued my pc for about 6months and has been driving me mad. No-one could tell me what was wrong with it and wanted to charge me loads just to have a look which tight old hubby wouldn't allow cos we have a laptop so can use that if I need to! :x

Anyway I'm babbling I tried what that link said and it works! I am over the moon to have my cd drive back and could kiss ya :-D have had to make do with leavin rep instead lol hope thats ok!

Thanks MBeeching you're a star xx :thumbsup:

Original Poster

twinkle_n_spud

Ok I'm gunna try not to gush here but thank you so soooo much! This … Ok I'm gunna try not to gush here but thank you so soooo much! This problem has plagued my pc for about 6months and has been driving me mad. No-one could tell me what was wrong with it and wanted to charge me loads just to have a look which tight old hubby wouldn't allow cos we have a laptop so can use that if I need to! :x Anyway I'm babbling I tried what that link said and it works! I am over the moon to have my cd drive back and could kiss ya :-D have had to make do with leavin rep instead lol hope thats ok!Thanks MBeeching you're a star xx :thumbsup:

I SECOND THAT...... :thumbsup:

worked mate thanks i owe ya one :-D

u2 should pay him lol hes saved u millions
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Car park fine UKPC77
      2. Boxes for moving house?55
      3. Speccing a gaming pc36
      4. Kitchen tap replacement22

See more discussions