Expired

CDkeys.com asked me to send a picture of my driving licence or passport...

Found 21st Aug 2014
I was buying two psn credit top ups from them, they took my money but when i tried to download the code it said my order was under review for security reasons.

Then they emailed asking me to send a picture of my passport or licence to verify who i was. Is this normal practice?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I wouldn't. Just tell them you don't have either
Don't forget your mothers maiden name when you send the details.
It's in their FAQ, personally I wouldn't send a copy of my ID to anyone even legit sites like CDKeys. If it was me I would ask for the money refunded and then get a friend or family member to order for you.

https://support.cdkeys.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200890562-Frequently-Asked-Questions#1c

I did not receive my CD key instantly?To protect against fraud we occasionally hold orders, if this happens you will receive the following message: “As part of our standard security measures, orders are routinely selected for review to ensure the safety of our site. Your order will be reviewed by one of our agents.” Your order will manually be checked by one of our agents and should be cleared within approximately 1 hour, if we require any further information we will contact you via email.
I have heard of them doing this and it's meant to be safe but I wouldn't fancy that either
Cheeky sods, I buy knives and swords and have never had to do that, they just check my name against the electoral roll
Send them your national insurance number, name, address, date of birth and your Internet banking details...they'll hold your details until you forgot you gave them and then when hackers hack their system you'll be sent a reminder... you'll be unidentifiable
I sent them a pic of my passport with DOB, passport number and my picture blacked out and other stuff cropped out. So it just had my name and nationality, but I still wasnt completely comfortable with the idea. They have sent me the codes now and apologised.
Edited by: "Chamaeleon" 21st Aug 2014
But I wouldnt recommend them to my friends or family now after theyve done this, and I would think twice before using them again myself. So their bad practice might have cost them something.
Edited by: "Chamaeleon" 21st Aug 2014
ThisName

But I wouldnt reccommend them to my friends or family now after theyve … But I wouldnt reccommend them to my friends or family now after theyve done this, and I would think twice before using them again myself. So their bad practice might have cost them something.

You won't need to provide ID again. They did the same to me as I bought 2 separate XBL subs in 1 transaction and their system thought it could be dodgy. At the end of the day they are only protecting themselves from fraud thus keeping prices low. No biggy.
INDUSTRYHATER

You won't need to provide ID again. They did the same to me as I bought 2 … You won't need to provide ID again. They did the same to me as I bought 2 separate XBL subs in 1 transaction and their system thought it could be dodgy. At the end of the day they are only protecting themselves from fraud thus keeping prices low. No biggy.

What kind of fraud?
How odd. For my first order, I received a phone call (I was spending a lot of money at the time) to verify it, but that's all I've been asked to do. I order one or two games from them a month without issue, so they're certainly not dodgy.
Just tell them you cant due to the data protection act.
Its what most companies quote when dealing with personal information...

After all, they wouldn't send you a copy of their licenses if you wanted to validate they are a legitimate company would they?
ThisName

What kind of fraud?

Credit/debit card fraud. Its interesting that the OP also ordered 2 items like me aswell. Lets bear in mind that CDKEYS have been around for a long time and have a superb reputation, after that Sniper elite 3 fiasco they were the only company to compensate those affected. If it was some company nobody had heard then i could understand peoples concern.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants