Groups

Ceiling fan noise at low speed

Hi all, I've just installed a ceiling fan. Installation went well. Unfortunately, the fan makes a noise at low speed. Fast and medium speed is fine. I can't understand what the problem is because when I turn the fan off from high speed the noise doesn't happen when it slows down. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

7 Comments

mines the same, if you hold the fan does it help? I think it's down to the blades / ballancing

Original Poster

No unfortunately not. Makes no difference if I hold the fan.

Is it a tick tick tick? The blades sometimes have decoration front or back that moves to make a noise. Bluetac or thin card wedge will stop it. Just got to find which blade and mark it while it's spinning. I used wet finger but chalk will do it.

Have you looked on You tube ?

Original Poster

wayners

Is it a tick tick tick? The blades sometimes have decoration front or … Is it a tick tick tick? The blades sometimes have decoration front or back that moves to make a noise. Bluetac or thin card wedge will stop it. Just got to find which blade and mark it while it's spinning. I used wet finger but chalk will do it.

​Not a tick tick tick noise. It sounds more like a rubbing noise. I think it might be the motor. I'm gonna take it back today and replace it.

markpj777

​Not a tick tick tick noise. It sounds more like a rubbing noise. I t … ​Not a tick tick tick noise. It sounds more like a rubbing noise. I think it might be the motor. I'm gonna take it back today and replace it.

Back in the 80s I travelled to and from the states and I used to bring ceiling fans back, as you could not get them here. I could buy a 110 volt transformer at my local hardware/electrical shop for £30, and I fitted them for friends and family. Finding light bulbs was a big problem, but I digress. I found that on some ceilings the fan motor sound would resonate a little with plasterboard. One of the last fans I brought back had rubber bushes to fit under the the screw heads and the base plate against ceiling. I fitted them but it never said why they were needed. Could of been to stop sound or cushioning? You could make the same with rubber and metal tap washes together I guess. No idea if this will help if next fan makes the same sound.

Original Poster

Just installed the replacement in the same way. Works perfectly. So the unit was faulty. I just wish they would test them before packing.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any good deals going for skyrim on xbox one?24
      2. Does anyone have a spare code from the inside of a Kellogg's cereal box for…11
      3. mobile phone advice needed please11
      4. Sky or virgin55

See more discussions