Cellular phone data USB tethering via on-handset VPN app

Posted 1st Nov
Question for the Android phone boffins with greater understanding than me (probably most readers of this thread!):
is there a relatively easy way to pass cellular data from an on-handset VPN app to USB tether?
I know it can be done for wifi tethering via VPN Hotspot github.com/Myg…pot but I'm looking for a similar solution via USB tether, not wifi (or does VPN Hotspot also facilitate passing VPN to USB tether, or is similar not required for USB as it is natively supported?).
Any knowledge sharing and assistance will be gratefully accepted, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I think the network provides the IP for tethering and doesn’t work via vpn. There’s is a way if your phone is rooted but I’ve not tried it
Does that work without the VPN?
What are you trying to do, might be another solution altogether
Dannyrobbo01/11/2019 18:50

I think the network provides the IP for tethering and doesn’t work via v …I think the network provides the IP for tethering and doesn’t work via vpn. There’s is a way if your phone is rooted but I’ve not tried it

No problem to achive the required outcome via wifi tethering, but my ideal use scenario requires USB tethering.
esar01/11/2019 18:51

...What are you trying to do, might be another solution altogether

Requirement: share VPN data via USB to a separate device (an existing router) for subsequent distribution to multiple other devices (clients) without having to purchase more VPN slots nor additional kit.
AndyRoyd01/11/2019 21:37

Requirement: share VPN data via USB to a separate device (an existing …Requirement: share VPN data via USB to a separate device (an existing router) for subsequent distribution to multiple other devices (clients) without having to purchase more VPN slots nor additional kit.

if you are not going via a computer how are you going to get the drivers on the router to do this?

this is what I was talking about before but obviously requires PC Link

thinking of it could USB OTG be used otg > Ethernet > router like this Link never tried it but maybe you could match support for what phone you own? Or maybe I’m getting ahead of myself and this would work the other way
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 1st Nov
Dannyrobbo01/11/2019 22:39

if you are not going via a computer how are you going to get the drivers …if you are not going via a computer how are you going to get the drivers on the router to do this?this is what I was talking about before but obviously requires PC Linkthinking of it could USB OTG be used otg > Ethernet > router like this Link never tried it but maybe you could match support for what phone you own?

Router supports native USB tether and works flawlessly in that configuration, so just(!) need to apply VPN before the data hits USB.
Scratch the usb otg method it sounded like it would work in my head. You need a router with a built in USB modem in theory that’s how the phone communicates through usb with computers and on that note I will lay off the gin
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 1st Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants