Central Heating and heating water

8 replies
Found 10th Oct 2009
Hi,

I have an old Potterton Netaheta which is working fine.

I was wondering when I run the central heating should I have the hot water on at the same time? Is there going to be an additional cost to do this? I was wondering when the boiler is on there is only one flame so I might as well have the water on at the same time as the boiler is on for the central heating.

I hope what I'm asking makes sense!?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

Sloth/Mod

Yes..........there would be an additional cost as your consumption would be higher if doing both at the same time.

But if you do them seperately it will be the same case so just do what's easiest.

It depends what type of central heating system the boiler is on, some don't give you the option of having the heating on without the hot water.

It might be an s plan, y plan, fully pumped or gravity hot water.

Obviously if you have the water on with the heating it's going to use more gas to heat both than if you only had one on

From what I've read, this boiler has had it's problems - ]including safety warnings from the HSE about it's performance, it's also ancient.

To save money on the long run, I'd give serious consideration to getting a new combi condensing boiler.

i thought that if you have both on the water takes priority over the heating, when you put my heating on and then run the shower the shower is hot but the heating doesn't warm up till the shower is turned off, i think my heating engineer mate also confirmed this as i thought i had a problem last year, my boiler is about 3 years old:)

If you run the hot water it will stop the heating coming on untill the water is switched off again, you won't be able to use both at the same time on the combi boiler

nadss;6533817

If you run the hot water it will stop the heating coming on untill the … If you run the hot water it will stop the heating coming on untill the water is switched off again, you won't be able to use both at the same time on the combi boiler

This isn't a combi boiler though.

Original Poster

Thanks all for the input and the HSE warning!

we had a prob with our potterton, it was dangerous so got a carbon monoxide alarm and then changed to a combi. cheaper bills already noticed:)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition61631
    2. Chat magazine issue 4312
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers22
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 41 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions