Groups

central heating question please!!!

I was just wondering what the cheapest way to use the central heating is... to keep it on all the time but with the thermastat on low or set it on the timer?? Ive heard so many different things like if you have it on the timer then the boiler is still on all the time but your not getting the heat from it all the time? and if you have the thermastat on low then as soon as the house reaches that temperature it turns it off so basically its still on but your not gettin heat? Im so confused lol its a new house so I dont want to be slapped with huge bills after the winter!!

8 Comments

i wished we had a thermostat on our boiler.. ours is numbered 1-7 .. 1 being it switched on every now and then to stop piped freezing during the winter (if you go away) and 7 being the hottest.

we have ours on a timer unless we need it on before then just switch it on ourselves

I fine the cheapest way is to just turn it on when required,

If its a combi boiler it wil only take a few minutes for the raditors to warm up..

or... put a jumper on :thumbsup:

If you have it on timer, the boiler will not be on all the time only when the thermostat clicks on, and then off again when the room reaches the desired temp HTH

use a thermostat, best way

RickT;6947779

I fine the cheapest way is to just turn it on when required, If its a … I fine the cheapest way is to just turn it on when required, If its a combi boiler it wil only take a few minutes for the raditors to warm up..or... put a jumper on :thumbsup:

+1 - especially as it's a new house - they heat up much quicker as there's less brick in their construction and retain the heat better too.

There are many arguments over these theories online - and the outcome has so many variables due to the way houses are built, what time of heating system you're running etc etc.

Bottom from reading all that guff, is that it simply doesn't make sense to have the heating on all the time - especially if you're only in the house for 40% of the day. - and that's regardless of the variables.

Of course the most obvious way to reduce heating costs is to make sure you've got top notch insulation.

I had cavity wall insulation put in (with the help of a grant from my local council) and topped up my loft insulation, and I have been able to very comfortably turn down my thermostat by at least 5 degrees this year! I'm sure I've saved a fortune, but I haven't noticed loads of spare cash lol ;-)

king261;6947978

use a thermometer, best way

bit old fashioned is it not?

mcfallg;6948766

bit old fashioned is it not?

editing, wonderful lol :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047116
      2. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…89
      3. Spotify Family Premium share513
      4. word association Game73944489

See more discussions