CeX advice

Found 1st May
I bought an iPad Pro from cex for £890 on o2 6 1/2 moths ago. I paid £25 to have it unlocked. It developed a fault and would not always recognise touch. So I contacted cex and they said take it back to store.

It was taken into the local CeX this weekend and I showed them the fault & asked for the refund they agreed after some discussion to refund the full £890 I paid for it. I paid in vouchers and covers the rest vi PayPal. They issued me a £755 voucher & said I would receive the other £137.50 via PayPal in a few days as it was over 30 days so they couldn’t issue the money strait away. They printed something off showing the message sent to cex head office requesting the £ refund & showing the voucher number they issued. I went online to order a new iPad from cex after getting a message from PayPal saying the £137.50 had been refunded. I imputed the voucher and received a message saying the voucher had been cancelled. So I went back into my emails to check the details I had written down from the email voucher were correct. I found I had received a new email from cex with a new voucher attachment. When I opened this one it was for £535. So they have cancelled my original refund for £890 and re issued a refund for £215 less.

My question is , is this legal ?
Surely if they have agreed to refund me the original £890 they have to honour that and can’t just change there mind and cancel it. Had they told me they were only going to refund that much I may have decided not to get a refund and instead to have a like for like replacement as I mentioned before I had paid for it unlocked so the refund they have issued would not cover a like for like replacement.

I have emailed them (as I find they have no customer service number) and asked they re issue the £755 that they cancelled.

If anyone has any advice on what action I should take I would really appreciate it thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
Are you happy to copy the text of the email and paste it here (hiding any personal info)
Hi .......,

Please find attached an eReceipt Voucher as payment for your refund of order .............

Please note, if you have refunded multiple items, this voucher may not equal the full total due, and other vouchers will be received separately.

Thank you for trading with us!

I received this on Saturday with the voucher for £755 attached as an image.

And hey printed me something off instore referring to this voucher they had supplied me in-store and it’s is number. Also in regards to what order it was a refund for and saying the PayPal refund had been referred to cex to process.
Then today I got an email saying
Hi,

Hope you are well,

Please find attached your refund for order

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Have a nice day!

Kindest ​Regards,

Stefan

With the email having the same original order number in the email subject bar
Cex offer a 2 year warranty on the 2nd hand tech they sell.

If your item becomes faulty within the first 30 days, you can return it to a cex shop (!) they will check/test it and refund if found to be faulty.

If your item develops a fault after 30 days contact cex and they will either repair or replace your item, if for some reason they can’t do that then they will instead offer a refund of the original price within the first 6 months of purchase. After 6 months the refund will be whatever is the current sales price or indeed even the original price if that happens to be lower.

They will probably want the product back in its original state of was sold though, no alterations or repairs carried out by third parties, to qualify for the 24 months warranty
Edited by: "androidavis" 1st May
Yep I had that discussion with them but they agreed to the full £890 back I paid even though 15 days past the 6 month mark. They even issued the voucher for £755 ( original voucher payment ) and printed something showing the other £137.50 would follow. I don’t get how they can agree to it refund it then void the voucher days later and issue another for £215 less with contacting me surely and agreement and a refund cant be renamed days later. As I say had they done so I may have decided to keep it or get a replace my rather then the refund that
From past experience, maybe 4 years ago, dealing with cex online ie via email because they don’t take phone calls, was as bad if not worse than dealing with banggood or gearbest on a bad day. If they haven’t cleaned up their act with regards to service, I would go back to the shop you made the ‘settlement’ with. Be really nice but obviously very unhappy because something has gone wrong. Hopefully they can untangle this for you. If financially they can’t, and you’d be better off with a replacement or repair say you would rather take that option up if they are now telling you they are reneging on the agreement you both came to before.

I understand how you feel and hope my head scratching thoughts help. Hopefully others will chime in with good ideas
Edited by: "androidavis" 1st May
Thanks yep, I honestly dident realise this was a legal or possible thing a company would do
if if it doesn’t get sorted by Thursday I will pop in after work and see if they can sort it. Iv never had a company cancel and lower an agreed upon refund amoint
I think you invalidated the warranty by having it unlocked and they have given you the trade-in value.
I can see what your saying but surely they can’t take the goods say where refunding x amount and then not refund x amount
I would say when they took item back and refunded you full costs an contractual agreement was made and their for wouldn't have a leg to stand on as they also excepted the goods back at this time.

They can't decide days weeks later to cancel the voucher and reissue a lower voucher without both party's agreeing to this.
Agreed dealing with CEX online is an absolute nightmare. Ordered a £600 speaker which turned up dented and was told I had to return it myself via ups and that I could not return it into a store. This is against there own policy and upon taking it to a store received the refund straight away. Manager said the guy who emailed me was talking rubbish..
debdrfc10 h, 56 m ago

Thanks yep, I honestly dident realise this was a legal or possible thing a …Thanks yep, I honestly dident realise this was a legal or possible thing a company would do if if it doesn’t get sorted by Thursday I will pop in after work and see if they can sort it. Iv never had a company cancel and lower an agreed upon refund amoint

I think that because your passed the six months mark that they reduced the voucher to cover the current market value of the item in line with their policy and that the store made an error stating that you would get a full refund. In terms challenging this I’m not sure you can, because most agreements have clauses in around errors which do not mean you get extra compensation only what your entitled to as per their stated terms which you would have agreed to by making the original purchase there. It’s worth trying to talk to the shop to see if they can do something in respect of good will but I wouldn’t hold out much hope. CEX aren’t that great to deal with and I wouldn’t buy any tech from them at all personally, they aren’t very cheap these days, you open yourself up to lots of problems and often you can buy something new online for the same or even cheaper price!
Thanks for the advice everyone
androidavis1st May

Are you happy to copy the text of the email and paste it here (hiding any …Are you happy to copy the text of the email and paste it here (hiding any personal info)

33736420.jpg

I found this going back to store today. It defiantly states the refund is for £892.50
Edited by: "debdrfc" 3rd May
I wouldn't buy off them, 2nd eBay is better. CEX are joke, in this instance someone has been paid £445. They are making double markup selling it for £890. Poor person has been ripped off tbh
Iv contacted citizens advice they took back some of what hey refunded me (£215 taken back) after agreeing £890 and leaving my iPad with them 3 days later they cancel the issued voucher and refunded me again but a voucher for £215 less. I’m gutted as it won’t even replace it like for like. I’m hoping citizens advice or trading standards can help should hear back from citizens advice on Wednesday. I wouldn’t recommend cex to anyone in future. Totally unethically company.
For clarity. What size, generation, memory and colour did you initially buy?
IPad Pro 12.9” 256gb 2nd gen o2 graphite grey A grade
So one of these that they are now selling for £675?
How much did they refund you again? £890 less £215 correction. So ignoring the unlock price, that depending on who did it, doesn’t factor in here. You can replace like for like.
Yes they made an error giving £890 initially. However that was a mistake their T&Cs back up was wrong.

I’m all for fighting retailers that get it wrong. Here it looks like they did everything right, though mislead you and got your hopes up.

As for the unlock cost. If they did it, you could argue that back. If not then you altered the item you bought and can’t expect them to cover that cost.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 5th May
Oneday771 h, 30 m ago

So one of these that they are now selling for £675?How much did they …So one of these that they are now selling for £675?How much did they refund you again? £890 less £215 correction. So ignoring the unlock price, that depending on who did it, doesn’t factor in here. You can replace like for like. Yes they made an error giving £890 initially. However that was a mistake their T&Cs back up was wrong. I’m all for fighting retailers that get it wrong. Here it looks like they did everything right, though mislead you and got your hopes up. As for the unlock cost. If they did it, you could argue that back. If not then you altered the item you bought and can’t expect them to cover that cost.

This sounds right oneday77.

Op, Cex messed up and corrected their mistake to what it should be. We don’t like the way they did that, sure. You can only try and sort that complain out but don’t assume to get the full result. For me your case is another example of their online customer service team. In my experience, when dealing with a real person in front of them, the shop staff behave as you would expect.
Oneday772 h, 29 m ago

So one of these that they are now selling for £675?How much did they …So one of these that they are now selling for £675?How much did they refund you again? £890 less £215 correction. So ignoring the unlock price, that depending on who did it, doesn’t factor in here. You can replace like for like. Yes they made an error giving £890 initially. However that was a mistake their T&Cs back up was wrong. I’m all for fighting retailers that get it wrong. Here it looks like they did everything right, though mislead you and got your hopes up. As for the unlock cost. If they did it, you could argue that back. If not then you altered the item you bought and can’t expect them to cover that cost.

I can see your point here but I also know they put the item instore and sold it for £710 as it was put up as an unlocked model and has now gone from the store.
I emailed asking them to retrain there store staff and inform them they were misleading people in store they never answered about that or about even offering a middle ground of good will. I may be viewing it wrong but they way I see it is.
If I went instore and paid via check an agreed amount for goods and then 3 days later cancelled that check before they could cash it & sent them a new check for £215 less I would have the police knocking at my door & be charged with theft
Edited by: "debdrfc" 5th May
Contact trading standards and provide them a copy of that email. They will fine CeX and get you your money back. They can’t change their mind after they’ve agreed to refunding you in full.
redcantona1st May

I think you invalidated the warranty by having it unlocked and they have …I think you invalidated the warranty by having it unlocked and they have given you the trade-in value.

The OP paid £25 to unlock it so I can believe they paid O2 to do it so that doesnt void the warranty. Unlocking a tablet or phone actually increases the value of the device.
zcgby0356 m ago

The OP paid £25 to unlock it so I can believe they paid O2 to do it so …The OP paid £25 to unlock it so I can believe they paid O2 to do it so that doesnt void the warranty. Unlocking a tablet or phone actually increases the value of the device.

That’s correct I did pay o2 to do it
I would add I don’t think unlocking the laptop involves opening the case, so that rules out their worry that poking around inside making a modification contributed to the fault developing
Edited by: "androidavis" 5th May
androidavis48 m ago

I would add I don’t think unlocking the laptop involves opening the case, s …I would add I don’t think unlocking the laptop involves opening the case, so that rules out their worry that poking around inside making a modification contributed to the fault developing

Nope you just fill a form in on the o2 website with imei ect & pay the fee and they unlock it after about 10days. I had it done as I ended up with a second sim from a deal I found on here =P
debdrfc5 h, 2 m ago

I can see your point here but I also know they put the item instore and …I can see your point here but I also know they put the item instore and sold it for £710 as it was put up as an unlocked model and has now gone from the store. I emailed asking them to retrain there store staff and inform them they were misleading people in store they never answered about that or about even offering a middle ground of good will. I may be viewing it wrong but they way I see it is. If I went instore and paid via check an agreed amount for goods and then 3 days later cancelled that check before they could cash it & sent them a new check for £215 less I would have the police knocking at my door & be charged with theft

You shouldn't have emailed CeX to tell them to retrain their staff as you are then buying into them changing your refund afterwards.

Stick to the facts of that day, you were refunded by fully trained staff who knew the rules and acted in good faith by *accepting* a warranty return that couldnt be replaced that day and with a refund in full, partly in vouchers. You are going to have to explain to trading standards that your email to CeX was sarcastic because no shop should have any untrained staff dealing with returns. You need to make clear how many staff dealt with your refund. Email trading standards with your complaint.
So did you go back in to store and demand the rest back? If not, why not
benjammin3168 h, 11 m ago

So did you go back in to store and demand the rest back? If not, why not

Yes I did, they went on there online system as apparently cex head office won’t do phone calls as online chat is the way of the future or something( there words not mine)
The online system ppl said they lowered to standard amount and to inform me to email them directly. The staff in store said had I bought it from there store they could override the online department but as I order it online originally they don’t have the authority to override the lower payment. I sent them another email and a tweet & emailed there ceo and contacted citizens advice ( who now contact trading standards on your behalf if deemed relevant) iv had one back after informing them of this saying there going to look into everything and get back to me.
zcgby0310 h, 15 m ago

You shouldn't have emailed CeX to tell them to retrain their staff as you …You shouldn't have emailed CeX to tell them to retrain their staff as you are then buying into them changing your refund afterwards.Stick to the facts of that day, you were refunded by fully trained staff who knew the rules and acted in good faith by *accepting* a warranty return that couldnt be replaced that day and with a refund in full, partly in vouchers. You are going to have to explain to trading standards that your email to CeX was sarcastic because no shop should have any untrained staff dealing with returns. You need to make clear how many staff dealt with your refund. Email trading standards with your complaint.

Yep I just meant if that was not there policy they should retrain there staff as there staff in store are still Very much of the opinion that what they did was correct procedure.
debdrfc6th May

Yes I did, they went on there online system as apparently cex head office …Yes I did, they went on there online system as apparently cex head office won’t do phone calls as online chat is the way of the future or something( there words not mine) The online system ppl said they lowered to standard amount and to inform me to email them directly. The staff in store said had I bought it from there store they could override the online department but as I order it online originally they don’t have the authority to override the lower payment. I sent them another email and a tweet & emailed there ceo and contacted citizens advice ( who now contact trading standards on your behalf if deemed relevant) iv had one back after informing them of this saying there going to look into everything and get back to me.

Did they get back to you? What happened in the end?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants