CeX advice needed

Found 25th Nov 2017
Okay bit of a long story but need some advice.

Took my Linx 8 tablet to CEX 2 weeks ago in order to sell to them for a voucher, did a factory reset and all was good. They tested it and told me that the touchscreen wasn't working. They had it overnight to investigate, and apparently when they did a factory reset during the test, it wiped the drivers for the touch screen. They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of tablet."

I left it with them for 2 weeks as one of the staff said they had a mouse they could use in order to get the drivers reinstalled.

They've now told me they couldn't do it and are basically refusing to buy the tablet from me, and want to give it back to me faulty (this was via Facebook message).

Going to go into store today, any advice before I go in?

Ideally, I would like either my working tablet returned (not likely) or the voucher I should have received 2 weeks ago.
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Uilleam174 m ago

What is a faulty good?Under the Consumer Rights Act, all products must be …What is a faulty good?Under the Consumer Rights Act, all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards: Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask yourself what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.Get a refund, repair or replacement

Thanks.

I forgot to add that it is my own tablet that I am selling to CEX.
So what is the advice you want? Do you want to know if they are accountable? Do you want to know how to fix it?
This is where consumer rights become a grey area, and hasn't really caught up with the likes of CEX.

Fundamentally, you'd have to PROVE that it was fully working when you gave it to CEX, and that they caused the issue it has now.

IMO, if this were the other way around - CEX would have your money and probably wouldn't refund it as you would have wiped the drivers.
But since they haven't yet paid you, they have nothing to lose (sucks i know).
By the way, they are correct - Linx are virtually impossible to get hold of the drivers once they are lost.
I binned one once before after a windows 10 upgrade went wrong and i couldnt get it back. Touchscreen and rotate screen function wouldn't work.
a factory reset would of put it back in default state,, like it just come from factory, if drivers where Lost, sounds more like it was wiped over the recovery state and a different one put.

i had thus trouble updating my tablet and restoring it, which i basically put new copy on, not a factory reset as it didn't use the original os, it used a generic one.

drivers should be on Internet somewhere, took me a while to find mine
"They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of tablet."

They definitely said this?

Because if they knew before hand it was a common problem and they did it anyway, it that's pretty unprofessional. It's like they wilfully damaged it.

How was your factory reset different to there's. Why didn't that wipe the drivers?
If you gave them permission to reset it then I would say it's your responsibility unless you can prove they didn't follow the correct procedure which is almost impossible unless they admit to it.
Fortunately I doubt it is worth much so not worth the hassle of the small claims court.
You could write to them threatening to take them to court as that doesn't cost you anything!
Ultimately it sounds as if its the manufacturer whose at fault so why not contact them or even the retailer!
MSK.1 h, 7 m ago

"They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of …"They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of tablet."They definitely said this?Because if they knew before hand it was a common problem and they did it anyway, it that's pretty unprofessional. It's like they wilfully damaged it.

Depends whether they found out after the problem arose or before. They might have been looking online to find a solution and then discovered it. If not then they were reckless.
MSK.1 h, 15 m ago

"They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of …"They claim this is a "common issue with this particular model of tablet."They definitely said this?Because if they knew before hand it was a common problem and they did it anyway, it that's pretty unprofessional. It's like they wilfully damaged it.How was your factory reset different to there's. Why didn't that wipe the drivers?

Pretty unprofessional? This is cex we are talkig about, have you seen people who work there.
master1034 m ago

Pretty unprofessional? This is cex we are talkig about, have you seen …Pretty unprofessional? This is cex we are talkig about, have you seen people who work there.

Yes, what's your point?
MSK.40 m ago

Yes, what's your point?

They dont know what the word professional is.
master101 m ago

They dont know what the word professional is.

So you've seen a few of them and that applies to every single memeber of staff in the country?
MSK.28 m ago

So you've seen a few of them and that applies to every single memeber of …So you've seen a few of them and that applies to every single memeber of staff in the country?

Yep. As they say you get what you pay for and CEX dont pay alot.
Well I'd obviously want some form of recompense. Start off by wanting the full value of the vouchers and then let them negotiate from there. Ask to speak to the manager so you can circumvent any wasted time negotiating with someone who has no authority to do so.
Getting something is better than nothing if the tablet is now useless.
Small update: I went in to the store earlier today and they said that they have been trying to fix it. They said they will continue, so I gave them until next weekend. If it's not sorted by next weekend then I will certainly consider some of your suggestions. Thanks all.
Unfortunately the burden of proof lies upon you to show that it was fully working before they "tested" it. If you can't reasonably prove that to be the case they're not obliged to provide you with any recompense, although may do so as a gesture of goodwill.
master101 h, 9 m ago

Yep. As they say you get what you pay for and CEX dont pay alot.

Best you not shop anywhere they pay the floor staff minimum wage then. That should leave you with a lot of options.
MSK.49 m ago

Best you not shop anywhere they pay the floor staff minimum wage then. …Best you not shop anywhere they pay the floor staff minimum wage then. That should leave you with a lot of options.

I shop where I want, but know what to expect if so. Not complain afterwards.
Had a similar driver issue with the Linx 1010 (touch/rotate), foolishly I didn't back them up as I thought the essential ones would download automatically. I eventually retrieved them from linxtablet.co.uk
master1029 m ago

I shop where I want, but know what to expect if so. Not complain …I shop where I want, but know what to expect if so. Not complain afterwards.

Well I'm glad that made sense to you.
Cex is like any retail outlet. There are good and bad stores. Along with good and bad staff members.

The fact they are trying to ‘repair’ it rather than sending it away with you. In my eyes indicates they feel an element of guilt. Once you sign it over for testing, they have a certain duty of care to up hold.

It would be worth trying to identify the drivers yourself and taking them in on a USB drive next weekend. That way they can install them assuming it’s not fixed by then.
Update: Went to CEX yesterday and the manager hid as soon as I walked in. However, a sales assistant spoke to them and gave me the voucher as agreed 3 weeks ago. Clearly my consistent weekly trips to CEX got too much for them and they had had enough of me.
Well done OP sounds like the right result in this situation given they messed it up in the first place
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions