Posted 10th Jan 2022
I was in CEX this morning and someone came in with a faulty phone he’d purchased from them only a few days ago

So had me thinking do CEX go after the person who sold it to them or do they fix it themselves ?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
16 Comments
  1. Avatar
    they test the phone before purchasing it from a customer so cannot go back to the person who sold the person
  2. Avatar
    Author
    I thought they tested electrical equipment before purchasing, but why was matey asking to swap the phone he bought as the camera was faulty
  3. Avatar
    Adriatique10/01/2022 10:47

I thought they tested electrical equipment before purchasing, but why was …I thought they tested electrical equipment before purchasing, but why was matey asking to swap the phone he bought as the camera was faulty

They do test it - but who knows why the camera failed? Electrical stuff can fail (iphones with excessive vibrations anyone?) or he might have dropped it which broke the camera.

The check list is quite extensive for phones especially...
  4. Avatar
    MarzBarz10/01/2022 10:22

they test the phone before purchasing it from a customer so cannot go back …they test the phone before purchasing it from a customer so cannot go back to the person who sold the person

do you know whats involved with the testing? ie, is it just a power on?
    Edited by: "flylife" 10th Jan
  5. Avatar
    flylife10/01/2022 11:05

do you know whats involved with the testing? ie, is it just a power on?

No - it will be checks like sim card reading OK, and connecting to network, memory card reading OK, dead pixels, cracks and/or scratches, headphone socket working, water damage, charging port working, camera working, ...

From memory, when I've traded in handsets, it's a checklist of 30 or so items.
    Edited by: "deleted2686495" 10th Jan
  6. Avatar
    I bought a DJ controller from CEX a few years back and when I got it home and went to use it I found that it clearly had a faulty crossfader (it was registering phantom inputs). I took it back the next day and when I said that I was surprised that the issue wasn’t picked up in testing I was told that they don’t really test some kind of items, they just plug them in to see if they power on and that’s that. I can see where they are coming from with certain peripherals, in that to properly test it they need the appropriate software for example which they don’t have. As for the phone mentioned in the OP’s post, I’m sure that it was tested properly when it was originally bought it in to be sold or traded. But like anything a fault can be discovered during more extensive everyday use at home. Or maybe it wasn’t really “faulty” in terms of a hardware fault but the person buying it was having an issue with it and described it as faulty to the staff member (ie dropping out on calls for example).
  7. Avatar
    They tend to test phones/consoles and laptops pretty well. But like with anything, some faults can inevitably go through the testing phase.
  8. Avatar
    did you hang around long enough to see if cex took it back?
  9. Avatar
    Author
    They were going to exchange it I think as he said another store sent him here to exchange it, he was asked what was wrong and he said the camera don’t focus, he was then got the other phone and was asked if he’d backed up the faulty phone.

I was finished by this time but just made me think what if he didn’t like the colour or an odd mark on it so he wanted to exchange it as faulty does the original seller get dragged into it but from the replies don’t seem like it as they ‘test’ the items
  10. Avatar
    I guess it's just a loss built into their business model.
    I think CEX profit margins were around 12% iirc (although a large part of their business is franchising so that's not necessarily the whole picture) however as you can see their markup from buy price to sell price on any given item is closer to 40% so somewhere in there the losses are accounted for.
    They could reduce it by testing more thoroughly but that takes more man hours & therefore cost. I guess they have experimented with how thoroughly to test things and I think the actual testing is minimal as with most tech resellers tbh
  11. Avatar
    They don't test GPUs much... I had to buy four one Xmas to find one that worked for my son's present... All. From different branches. They gave me refund to be fair but so much hassle that they didn't test in first place. But for phones and tablets.. they seem to do from when I sold them.
  12. Avatar
    jameshothothot10/01/2022 13:03

They don't test GPUs much... I had to buy four one Xmas to find one that …They don't test GPUs much... I had to buy four one Xmas to find one that worked for my son's present... All. From different branches. They gave me refund to be fair but so much hassle that they didn't test in first place. But for phones and tablets.. they seem to do from when I sold them.

I had this. Bought one didn't work took it back same day and they just refunded and said they couldn't test as it wouldn't fit in the pc case they used
  13. Avatar
    Adriatique10/01/2022 10:47

I thought they tested electrical equipment before purchasing, but why was …I thought they tested electrical equipment before purchasing, but why was matey asking to swap the phone he bought as the camera was faulty

I bought a memory stick from them for a friends laptop. Was faulty, so I doubt they check everything. Returned it and got the money back with no issues.
  14. Avatar
    They test phones thoroughly and honour their warranty if any issues
  15. Avatar
    They run through a device test. I believe a lot of the newer phones have built in problem solvers. Where you can test if each signal is working, how the phone can connect to the camera etc.

I believe they just run that diagnostic tool and mark it as a pass. Even if there is a fault the diagnostics didn't find.

Regarding the camera if the phone can boot the camera app and snap a photo it will mark it as passed. It wouldn't know if it's a blurry photo, scratched lens etc.

Sometimes cex staff do a poor inspection job.

But once paid for. It's buy as seen. They have upto 3 hours to inspect your item and if they fail to spot a mistake it's on them.
  16. Avatar
    I don't believe they test stuff below a certain price. I've had a HDD that was totally dead, another full of smart errors and close to failure, and a 3DS game that couldn't even be detected. They often put them straight back on sale as well after they're returned.
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 3 m ago
Post a comment
Top Merchants