Cex - Grade A

Posted 21st Feb
Just got myself an iPad from Cex. Grade A. Ordered online and received today.

Grade A, but some scratches on the screen, dirty plug and missing SIM card pin tool. Not really a big deal, but I’m certain if I tried to sell it to them they wouldn’t be giving me grade A money for it.

Any other experience of buying online from CEX and not receiving what you paid for?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
They wouldn’t accept an iPad off me when the screen was scratched, they said “we can’t sell it”.
It could be someone’s assigned it incorrectly, or they could just be trying their luck.
I reckon they chance their arm half the time. I’ll be keeping it, just seems hypocritical of them.
If that’s meant to be grade A then send it back and demand the proper quality.
That’s C grade surely with scratches on screen?
  • A - Mint - These products must be in mint/new condition. The product must be immaculate; if it is not then it is unfortunately not deemed as an A grade. All accessories means everything that would have originally come in the box. These must be official and the same condition as the product. These items also require their original box and inserts.
  • B - Good - Product in good condition with all essential accessories. No box required.
  • C - Working - Product in poor condition and fully working with all essential accessories. No box required.

I would ask for a refund of difference or return back.
I would return it.. Grade A literally means you opened the Ipad from cellophane wrapping and sold it to them. Thats normally grade A..

Personally I would return it, if you live near a store pop in and look at the Grade A’s they are normally immaculate
It did come with the cellophane over it. It’s only a couple of months old, in warranty with apple until mid December this year.

As I said, I think I’ll keep it. Just curious to other stories of Cex chancing their arm.
Return it
I had the same thing and emailed them photos of the scratches and the bar code label and asked them to refund the difference between the Grade A and Grade B and after about a week they got back to me and sent me account credit for the difference.

Might be worth a try.
ArcadeAssassin21/02/2020 21:36

I had the same thing and emailed them photos of the scratches and the bar …I had the same thing and emailed them photos of the scratches and the bar code label and asked them to refund the difference between the Grade A and Grade B and after about a week they got back to me and sent me account credit for the difference. Might be worth a try.

I might try that, I guess all they can say is no.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Definitely return it and go in store if you can so you can inspect it yourself if you buy another one
They once sent me a unboxed console that I payed extra for to be boxed as it was a gift, the label even said discounted which in the cex console world means no box and missing something like leads or controller I contacted them and got the generic email of if you are not happy send it back or return to a store. The problem was it was a rare console and colour so as it was a gift had to accept it and quickly buy a spare box from ebay. I was out of pocket a bit and I know they definitely try it on with stuff like this it's not just genuine mistakes as you wouldn't get the same item past them in a reversed way they are so strict when checking items.
larrylightweight22/02/2020 01:06

They once sent me a unboxed console that I payed extra for to be boxed as …They once sent me a unboxed console that I payed extra for to be boxed as it was a gift, the label even said discounted which in the cex console world means no box and missing something like leads or controller I contacted them and got the generic email of if you are not happy send it back or return to a store. The problem was it was a rare console and colour so as it was a gift had to accept it and quickly buy a spare box from ebay. I was out of pocket a bit and I know they definitely try it on with stuff like this it's not just genuine mistakes as you wouldn't get the same item past them in a reversed way they are so strict when checking items.

Just what I was thinking myself...
Don't let yourself get taken advantage of. They are trying it on.
That is not grade A. Not even by their definition it isn't so I'd be taking it back. It also has a dirty plug and missing sim tool why would you think this is grade A
I haven't bought phones from CeX but other tech I've bought from CeX grade B has been basically like new
So I went to restore the iPad this evening from a back up of my old one. It wouldn’t stay connected to the laptop, turns out I have also been sent a cheapie usbc lead.

It’s going back....
DEALS4EVA22/02/2020 21:23

So I went to restore the iPad this evening from a back up of my old one. …So I went to restore the iPad this evening from a back up of my old one. It wouldn’t stay connected to the laptop, turns out I have also been sent a cheapie usbc lead.It’s going back....

CeX take any cheap USB leads with trade ins. You can just buy one from Dollar Land or Dollar Stretcher and they'll accept it
DEALS4EVA22/02/2020 21:23

So I went to restore the iPad this evening from a back up of my old one. …So I went to restore the iPad this evening from a back up of my old one. It wouldn’t stay connected to the laptop, turns out I have also been sent a cheapie usbc lead.It’s going back....

This is where it going to get tricky as I read on another post.

You walk into store with your unhappy item and they will first start trying to offer vouchers but not before they take the item back for testing once you say you tried to use it they want to test it first before any type of refund. If they find a problem after testing they claim its your fault.

Dont fall for any of these tricks
larrylightweight23/02/2020 01:21

This is where it going to get tricky as I read on another post.You walk …This is where it going to get tricky as I read on another post.You walk into store with your unhappy item and they will first start trying to offer vouchers but not before they take the item back for testing once you say you tried to use it they want to test it first before any type of refund. If they find a problem after testing they claim its your fault.Dont fall for any of these tricks

OP ordered online so will (or should) be offered a refund in the original payment method. Voucher refund if bought in-store and returned within 2 days
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 23rd Feb
larrylightweight23/02/2020 01:21

This is where it going to get tricky as I read on another post.You walk …This is where it going to get tricky as I read on another post.You walk into store with your unhappy item and they will first start trying to offer vouchers but not before they take the item back for testing once you say you tried to use it they want to test it first before any type of refund. If they find a problem after testing they claim its your fault.Dont fall for any of these tricks

I’m expecting some BS like this.
andrewworrall123/02/2020 08:53

OP ordered online so will (or should) be offered a refund in the original …OP ordered online so will (or should) be offered a refund in the original payment method. Voucher refund if bought in-store and returned within 2 days

And should insist on the postage cost being refunded too, as I've known CeX to argue that they don't need to.
Illusionary23/02/2020 10:38

And should insist on the postage cost being refunded too, as I've known …And should insist on the postage cost being refunded too, as I've known CeX to argue that they don't need to.

Well seeing as the iPad price was over $50 postage was free anyway
Well, took it back to a store, no problems with the refund. They had another iPad instore although not the coIour I originally wanted. They had it marked up as a grade A, I pointed out a mark, they sold it to me as a B grade. Now everyone is happy.

I think I would only buy I store now where I am able to inspect the goods before purchase, although as I said, the return of my iPad today was very straightforward.
Thanks for all the input everyone. Good to hear all the opinions and stories on CEX
DEALS4EVA23/02/2020 14:25

Well, took it back to a store, no problems with the refund. They had …Well, took it back to a store, no problems with the refund. They had another iPad instore although not the coIour I originally wanted. They had it marked up as a grade A, I pointed out a mark, they sold it to me as a B grade. Now everyone is happy.I think I would only buy I store now where I am able to inspect the goods before purchase, although as I said, the return of my iPad today was very straightforward.Thanks for all the input everyone. Good to hear all the opinions and stories on CEX

Good to know you got the refund sorted!

Did they sell you the other one as B grade without putting up any arguments? Just so you know, if you buy in-store you're only covered for voucher refunds unless the item is genuinely faulty
andrewworrall123/02/2020 08:53

OP ordered online so will (or should) be offered a refund in the original …OP ordered online so will (or should) be offered a refund in the original payment method. Voucher refund if bought in-store and returned within 2 days

Oh yes I know but a lot order online and return to store as its easier and that's when the games start having read other posts before.
larrylightweight23/02/2020 15:20

Oh yes I know but a lot order online and return to store as its easier and …Oh yes I know but a lot order online and return to store as its easier and that's when the games start having read other posts before.

Ah right. I've returned online orders in-store and for original payment methods refunded no problem. They did try to tell me once that I wouldn't get postage cost back but I showed them the website on my phone that said I would and they refunded it for me
DEALS4EVA23/02/2020 14:25

Well, took it back to a store, no problems with the refund. They had …Well, took it back to a store, no problems with the refund. They had another iPad instore although not the coIour I originally wanted. They had it marked up as a grade A, I pointed out a mark, they sold it to me as a B grade. Now everyone is happy.I think I would only buy I store now where I am able to inspect the goods before purchase, although as I said, the return of my iPad today was very straightforward.Thanks for all the input everyone. Good to hear all the opinions and stories on CEX

Good to hear of no problems a little bit of cex faith restored as I do like buying the retro stuff from there.
andrewworrall123/02/2020 15:03

Good to know you got the refund sorted!Did they sell you the other one as …Good to know you got the refund sorted!Did they sell you the other one as B grade without putting up any arguments? Just so you know, if you buy in-store you're only covered for voucher refunds unless the item is genuinely faulty

Initially the member of staff couldn’t do anything, I told him I would take it with me if they would sell it as a B grade. He went to the manager and told me I could have it for B grade money. That was fair to me. Now, there was “only” £20 of difference between the A & B grades but it was matter of principle for me.

Yes, read all about buying in-store returns, but was happy with the tablet after giving it a good going over.

Also as I purchased online, my refund was processed to original payment method, I see it discussed above.
Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 23rd Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants