Groups

CEX ignorning my emails and on FB when i want a refund i7 4790k

I just bought a new (Although i thought it was) i7 4790k cpu, the advert stated "New 4th gen intel overclocking chip" and the photo was of a new CPU so as i knew they do also sell a lot of new items as well as used/second hand i paid £260 for my chip last week, the same hour i paid for it i got an email saying they have "Already shipped it" and my Tracking number was...X..Y..Z... So i waited in i had things to do and i waited and waited and waited nothing turned up..

i waited in for 3 more days and nothing turned up in the end i gave up and emailed them saying that after 6 days i want my money back as the CPU (Processor) they have sold me was in fact a USED one although they gave a strong impression that it was new? Every time i emailed them i got almost always the same reply "Please wait for the delivery to arrive" instead of cancelling it their end via the Courier basically they want you to take possession of it so you are encouraged to keep it Also they said IF i refused to sign for it and just had the courier send it back it would take much longer to get a refund as that way takes longer and what they wanted me to do was pay for it to be sent to them (I'll loose out on a tenner postage) What shockingly bad customer service and one that is almost forcing people to keep the items they dont want like in my situation?

I got sick of emailing them and getting the same reply

I received the CPU today it took much more time than i was told it would and the shocker was how they had packaged it? baring in mind at £260 it was only £40 cheaper than a new chip and with them using carefully selected wordings on their advert and a photo of a new chip i thought i was buying a new one? How wrong i was, Normally when you buy an intel chip you get it in a hardened plastic case and comes complete with a heatsink (Cooler) this didnt come with any paperwork no heatsink and no protection from Transit damage it was just thrown in a brown cex paperbag then into a tiny bit of bubblewrap the size of a packet of cigs..?? to make things matter there was fingerprints on the underneath which is a key thing you DONT do is touch the pins/connections under these?

I have noticed they are ignoring my messages on FB even thou they are posting on their wall..?

i wish i could upload some pics its terrible so i am pushing them for my money back terrible company.

53 Comments

Under distance selling regulations you can return it to any CEX store. You will get e_voucher for it.
    CEX sells only used items with 2 years warranty.

Take it to any CEX store with proof of purchase and return.

I guess you're not aware that CEX ONLY sell 2nd hand items?

Anyway, why don't you just return the item? They have a 14 day returns policy. More info here

welcome to hukd nice first post

So what's your question?

hi
    if they don't play ball, threaten small claims action and actually issue it. by law you are covered recover your cost as well. I hate companies playing customers some if them only understand this way. I have taken a number of companies to court and won

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, PhonixRising they do sell many new items like new phones (Peoples unwanted upgrades) and box sets GPU's ect hence why i thought i was buying a new CPU besides there is only £40 diff from a new CPU to their used..?

klopikxda Many thanks for that info! i am after a full refund i dont want to deal with them again tbh dont suppose i can demand a refund if i take it into a store can i as we are being ignored on FB and they have stopped returning out emails??

Mattmerch, Thanks i wasnt sure if this post was a bit OTT for first post? Cheers

Question must be why did you buy used to save a few quid -then whinge about it ? beats me

Original Poster

rogparki clearly you havent read all my post?

Original Poster

craigstephens- The question is how can i get a FULL refund as cex have ignored my emails and messages on FB..? there is NO NUMBER for them..?

New at cex? "New 4th gen etc" doesn't me new and sealed it's new as in the new chips...

Just take it to a store with some proof of purchase

I think op misunderstood the listing on Cex, the NEW refers to the latest gen. I think you realised this but after you ordered and it was on the way to you already
    Edited by: "MR1123" 5th Dec 2016

You must first decide whether you are changing your mind about your purchase OR whether there is something wrong with what you have purchased (including whether you have received something different from what you ordered).

On the second point, you seem to be realizing that they never actually said it was new - it was you who thought it was new. I agree they seem to be very clever in their adverts - that is what adverts do - and you fell for it. Trying to spot the difference in a photo between a used CPU and a new CPU is impossible.

So, I would stick with you have changed your mind. Contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who probably have details where you could write to (yes, old fashioned write - keep a copy and send "singed for").

They have a good web page here on the subject.

Ring them on 03454 04 05 06 office hours.

Original Poster

Thanks once again guys! here is the link for it and notice how they have "Carefully" worded the Chip which is what fooled me into thinking its a new one more so the 4th gen is a 2014 model? they state: New Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processor. On this link scroll down. Your text here

i ordered a cpu from cex last year, arrived as you described wrapped in bubble wrap and pins all bent, took it to local store and got a refund back to my card, same day. think your best to take to a store as your issues will be understood better face to face instead of an email, as you can see from some of the resposes youve had. good luck mate hope you get a result.

Original Poster

Sylviasmith944, Thanks for that link ive tried that and had no reply it would seem the board aint interested in issues and cant accept criticism?

Tardytortoise, Cheers for the input! it might come to that but thanks once again appreciated!

Original Poster

Mrcon Thanks mate i am really greatfull for that spoton!!

maybe we can can start a petiton at cex thais can not be allowed happen unacceptable behaviour

i74790k

Thanks once again guys! here is the link for it and notice how they have … Thanks once again guys! here is the link for it and notice how they have "Carefully" worded the Chip which is what fooled me into thinking its a new one more so the 4th gen is a 2014 model? they state: New Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processor. On this link scroll down. Your text here

"New Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processors deliver 4 cores of up to 4 GHz base frequency, providing blazing-fast computing performance"

They are describing the item, but its a bit outdated.
    You dont need to contact them for a refund, just pop into a store.

i74790k

Thanks for the replies guys, PhonixRising they do sell many new items … Thanks for the replies guys, PhonixRising they do sell many new items like new phones (Peoples unwanted upgrades) and box sets GPU's ect hence why i thought i was buying a new CPU besides there is only £40 diff from a new CPU to their used..?klopikxda Many thanks for that info! i am after a full refund i dont want to deal with them again tbh dont suppose i can demand a refund if i take it into a store can i as we are being ignored on FB and they have stopped returning out emails??Mattmerch, Thanks i wasnt sure if this post was a bit OTT for first post? Cheers

just take it back to a store and tell them you don't want it - blame poor packaging

they will refund via whatever method you paid

you only get a voucher if you paid with vouchers

EliTom

Original Poster

TCBx/Elitom i paid via Card guys, so you think if i went into my local store they would refund my card? the guy at cex was fine and emailed us but when it arrived and i said it was not new and the packaging was dire to say the least and that i want a refund he ignored all three replies, I cant tell you how disgusted i am on their business model and customer service,

MattMerch, Very good idea!
    Edited by: "i74790k" 5th Dec 2016

i74790k

TCBx/Elitom i paid via Card guys, so you think if i went into my local … TCBx/Elitom i paid via Card guys, so you think if i went into my local store they would refund my card? the guy at cex was fine and emailed us but when it arrived and i said it was not new and the packaging was dire to say the least and that i want a refund he ignored all three replies, I cant tell you how disgusted i am on their business model and customer service, MattMerch, Very good idea!

if you paid by card they will refund to the same card

did you photograph the dodgy packaging

normally instore CEX guys are very good

EliTom

Cex customer service is not the best, to say the least.

As others have said, just take it back to your nearest store and nicely ask for a full refund. You can do this under distance sellng regulations, and for the fact that the packaging was totally unsuitable for an electronic item that is static sensitive. It should have been properly packaged to protect the pins, and the device itself from electrostatic damage.

Original Poster

EliteTom- I still have the packaging so no issues there, il post them on here shortly Cheers

Been looking for the "Old Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processors" but never managed to find one!

i74790k

TCBx/Elitom i paid via Card guys, so you think if i went into my local … TCBx/Elitom i paid via Card guys, so you think if i went into my local store they would refund my card? the guy at cex was fine and emailed us but when it arrived and i said it was not new and the packaging was dire to say the least and that i want a refund he ignored all three replies, I cant tell you how disgusted i am on their business model and customer service, MattMerch, Very good idea!

Yes just take it to a store, no need to tell them why, if they ask why just say unwanted. They sent mine loose in a jiffy bag with no protection.. returned it asap.

Original Poster

Cheers Tcbx thanks for the info!!

There probably ignoring you as you keep spamming the same query and accusing them of misleading you. Just return it to store of your unhappy with your purchase and move on. All the listings have the same copy and paste description from the Intel website nothing says brand near or has a s for sealed next to it so clearly second hand

Original Poster

Sorry i disagree with you! they are using a stock photo of a brand new CPU they are also wording it as so:"New Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processor" they are NOT in any form stating its used but more making it look like its new, its wrong on every level and they know that! the CPU they sold me was just £40/50 less than a new one so that again made me think its new, when you stated:There probably ignoring you as you keep spamming the same query and accusing them of misleading you...Well they have misled me simple as? dont suppose you work for them do you lol

Banned

I take it that the OP didn't know CeX only sold used products but they do. If you have it in your possession you can try to visit a local CeX store and ask for a refund because it's not what you had expected.

I can also say that they're very lacking in getting a response from CeX Online which is why, I have a past email chat with a member who was super useful and got me the product I intended on purchasing.

Here's my story:

I originally bought what was described as the Official Nintendo Wii Component, then when I received, I noticed it was actually a third party cable, sent it back with a note and had to wait about a week or two. Since the CeX who received it somehow did not read the note I included (I don't get how), the middleman of CeX Online replied back to that store and then finally did they ship the actual official Wii component cable.

Jesus. It took too long but I wanted it as a collectible so was OKish with the wait.

Banned

P.S. Always pay via Paypal. In this case you're protected.

If you go to a store personally you speak to a person who is not only legally obliged to give you a refund under their terms and conditions, but they will (hopefully) feel morally obliged to help you.
    The first thing you do when introducing yourself is to politely ask their name and position within the company - then write it down. It's a great way to show you mean business without any maliciousness.(_;)

i74790k

Sorry i disagree with you! they are using a stock photo of a brand new … Sorry i disagree with you! they are using a stock photo of a brand new CPU they are also wording it as so:"New Unlocked 4th Gen Intel Core Processor" they are NOT in any form stating its used but more making it look like its new, its wrong on every level and they know that! the CPU they sold me was just £40/50 less than a new one so that again made me think its new, when you stated:There probably ignoring you as you keep spamming the same query and accusing them of misleading you...Well they have misled me simple as? dont suppose you work for them do you lol

TBF if it is was from this link thta you bought it

uk.webuy.com/pro…90K

The description is a generic copy paste and if you read the reviews it is clear it is not a guaranteed new product

EliTom

i74790k

If you paid by card - was this credit card? Credit card companies are jointly liable so you may be able to get a refund from them under section 75
    moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ses

Original Poster

Hi everyone, I paid via Debit card, PP wasnt an option or if it was i didnt see it even thou it maybe plastered on the site? Splasho- Cex do sell new items like unwanted phone upgrades and pc hardware as well as new dvd's ect and unwanted presents and i can vouch they do as i sold them my old S5 when it was new when they first came out and it went in the window as "New unused", But a huge thank you for your info ill do that cheers!

Elitetom- If i create a new advert on lets say Gumtree i put the header as "New unlocked i7 4790k Processor" and i then place a picture of a brand new CPU do you think the potential buyer would be happy if they arrived at my door and it was not only in a Used condition but thrown in a brown paperbag and put into a tiny bit of bubble wrap instead of it being in a new hardened plastic case with the heatsink in which is what i thought i was buying? I dont think they would be too happy and thats the Exact same as what has happened here to me, i get what your saying and i appreciate your time and info but i would of thought legally they are well at fault?

Suzannzan- Thanks but i paid via DD card :-(

i74790k

Hi everyone, I paid via Debit card, PP wasnt an option or if it was i … Hi everyone, I paid via Debit card, PP wasnt an option or if it was i didnt see it even thou it maybe plastered on the site? Splasho- Cex do sell new items like unwanted phone upgrades and pc hardware as well as new dvd's ect and unwanted presents and i can vouch they do as i sold them my old S5 when it was new when they first came out and it went in the window as "New unused", But a huge thank you for your info ill do that cheers!Elitetom- If i create a new advert on lets say Gumtree i put the header as "New unlocked i7 4790k Processor" and i then place a picture of a brand new CPU do you think the potential buyer would be happy if they arrived at my door and it was not only in a Used condition but thrown in a brown paperbag and put into a tiny bit of bubble wrap instead of it being in a new hardened plastic case with the heatsink in which is what i thought i was buying? I dont think they would be too happy and thats the Exact same as what has happened here to me, i get what your saying and i appreciate your time and info but i would of thought legally they are well at fault?Suzannzan- Thanks but i paid via DD card :-(

Hi. There is also something called chargeback on debit card transactions. It's lesser known but some info here in case this helps
    moneysavingexpert.com/sho…ack

Note the section..possible reasons for chargeback

Quality of item – the goods were not as described or were defective.

This seems to be your situation! If I was you I'd the gathering screen shots of your ordered item, emails etc that stated new. Pictures of what you received and how it was packed etc
    Hope this helps

Original Poster

As you can see on the bottom pic i got a brown paper bag wrapped around the CPU and thrown into the tiny bit of bubblewrap that you can see which was supposed to be protection for a £260 bit of hardware they where making £110 on...Dont you think spending a fiver and getting proper packaging would of been a nice thing?

suzannzan- Im really starting to like you! what a gem you are thank you SO much!!! :-)

i74790k

As you can see on the bottom pic i got a brown paper bag wrapped around … As you can see on the bottom pic i got a brown paper bag wrapped around the CPU and thrown into the tiny bit of bubblewrap that you can see which was supposed to be protection for a £260 bit of hardware they where making £110 on...Dont you think spending a fiver and getting proper packaging would of been a nice thing?suzannzan- Im really starting to like you! what a gem you are thank you SO much!!! :-)

No problem - happy to help!

I've thankfully never had cause do use either section 75 or chargeback but if you google them there's lots out there who have.

Let us know how you get on!!

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927376
      2. What would be HELL to you?3154
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2458
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force913

See more discussions