Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

CEX Issue - Stole My Airpods And Swapped For Fakes **Resolved and Refunded by CEX**

Posted 13th Aug
I traded in my AirPods online at CEX. However, today I received an email saying that they are being sent back to me as they are 'suspected counterfeit'. I am almost certain that they aren't as they were purchased from Very and the legitimacy has been confirmed by Apple. What do I do here? Can I go and trade them in at a CEX store instead?

UPDATE: Received Airpods back and they are fake and not the ones I sent to them. Therefore, someone at CEX has stolen my genuine Airpods and currently I've lost £75.

UPDATE 2: £75 payment received
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
To my surprise, received an automated email from CEX that payment has been sent and I’ve just checked and there is £75 from CEX in my bank account . Clearly they have completed their investigation and realised that they were indeed stolen by someone there, but I’m just glad I finally got my money. Thank you for everyone’s help.
Sent them a response that I will send the AirPods back to them and I’ll be expecting the £75 payment. Also said that maybe they should look a little harder, they might also find the person who stole my AirPods just ‘lying around’.
Edited by: "RamsMax" 25th Aug
71 Comments
I'd go to a cex shop instead.
Did you keep a note of the serial number of each airpod before you sent them in?
Choo_Choo13/08/2020 16:49

Did you keep a note of the serial number of each airpod before you sent …Did you keep a note of the serial number of each airpod before you sent them in?

No, but I did note down the serial number on the box.
I've just received an email back from CEX:
Unfortunately, upon testing the item we noticed that both the print of the box and on the case the print did not match with a comparison to an official product. The serial number also does not match the item and matches with a different refurbished item.

How have they matched the serial number with a different refurbished item? When I type the serial number on the Apple website, it says they are official Airpods with Wireless charging case.
RamsMax13/08/2020 17:11

I've just received an email back from CEX: Unfortunately, upon testing the …I've just received an email back from CEX: Unfortunately, upon testing the item we noticed that both the print of the box and on the case the print did not match with a comparison to an official product. The serial number also does not match the item and matches with a different refurbished item.How have they matched the serial number with a different refurbished item? When I type the serial number on the Apple website, it says they are official Airpods with Wireless charging case.

The proof will be based on what you receive back from them and if it matches what you sent.
Isobella_13/08/2020 17:20

The proof will be based on what you receive back from them and if it …The proof will be based on what you receive back from them and if it matches what you sent.

I took multiple photos including one of the serial number. What actually happens if I receive a different product back?
RamsMax13/08/2020 17:21

I took multiple photos including one of the serial number. What actually …I took multiple photos including one of the serial number. What actually happens if I receive a different product back?

Well then you will have a difficult argument with them.

This is my concern with high items going to CEX. They may downgrade your item or worse. My biggest concern is them going bust and my item being en route to them with no recourse on how to retrieve it or be paid.
Isobella_13/08/2020 17:23

Well then you will have a difficult argument with them.This is my concern …Well then you will have a difficult argument with them.This is my concern with high items going to CEX. They may downgrade your item or worse. My biggest concern is them going bust and my item being en route to them with no recourse on how to retrieve it or be paid.

I did take photos of the item and serial number with the order number written down besides it.
I also chatted with Apple who confirmed the serial number was associated with official Airpods:
41656583.jpg
Edited by: "RamsMax" 13th Aug
Isobella_13/08/2020 17:23

Well then you will have a difficult argument with them.This is my concern …Well then you will have a difficult argument with them.This is my concern with high items going to CEX. They may downgrade your item or worse. My biggest concern is them going bust and my item being en route to them with no recourse on how to retrieve it or be paid.

I’ve just received another response from CEX and apparently the testing team has been notified of the issue after I supplied them the Apple chat transcript. Hopefully somebody properly tests them this time.
I like a good cex shop
Aaah, the time old online cex vs in person cex debate rears its ugly head again
Sorry for the hassle you’ve experienced! This is precisely why I never send my stuff to Cex and only go instore. Hope it gets sorted for you
frrft13/08/2020 21:11

Sorry for the hassle you’ve experienced! This is precisely why I never s …Sorry for the hassle you’ve experienced! This is precisely why I never send my stuff to Cex and only go instore. Hope it gets sorted for you

Thank you. I've never had any issues when using CEX online. It is just frustrating when they are saying that the AirPods are fakes when I know they're not as they were purchased from Very. The reason they gave was because the serial number wasn't correct, but I had written it down before sending them off so I got Apple to confirm the serial number is genuine on live chat.
RamsMax13/08/2020 21:37

Thank you. I've never had any issues when using CEX online. It is just …Thank you. I've never had any issues when using CEX online. It is just frustrating when they are saying that the AirPods are fakes when I know they're not as they were purchased from Very. The reason they gave was because the serial number wasn't correct, but I had written it down before sending them off so I got Apple to confirm the serial number is genuine on live chat.

That it so weird! Sounds really dodgy like someone is trying to switch your item? Idk. Feel for you because all you want to do is genuinely sell something and it shouldn’t get messed up that badly
Wouldn’t be supposed if one of 17 yr old punk kids that work in there has swapped them for some fakes
Edited by: "ashmac" 13th Aug
frrft13/08/2020 21:55

That it so weird! Sounds really dodgy like someone is trying to switch …That it so weird! Sounds really dodgy like someone is trying to switch your item? Idk. Feel for you because all you want to do is genuinely sell something and it shouldn’t get messed up that badly

I should have enough proof in case that does happen. I'll keep this discussion updated.
I video the opening of high value items, ensuring I capture the opening of the package and the checking of the contents including serial numbers.
Primarily I use it to check for damage but it removes any doubt about the condition on arrival.

Maybe worth doing.

That it so weird! Sounds really dodgy like someone is trying to switch …That it so weird! Sounds really dodgy like someone is trying to switch your item? Idk. Feel for you because all you want to do is genuinely sell something and it shouldn’t get messed up that badly

ashmac13/08/2020 21:57

Wouldn’t be supposed if one of 17 yr old punk kids that work in there h …Wouldn’t be supposed if one of 17 yr old punk kids that work in there has swapped them for some fakes

They are on the way back to me. However, apparently the serial number I provided doesn’t match the AirPods so who knows what I’ll be getting back(mad)
RamsMax16/08/2020 09:13

They are on the way back to me. However, apparently the serial number I …They are on the way back to me. However, apparently the serial number I provided doesn’t match the AirPods so who knows what I’ll be getting back(mad)

Well if that’s the case there stolen so take it further
ashmac16/08/2020 10:25

Hopefully there'll be no issue. Can't be bothered with all the hassle
ashmac16/08/2020 10:25

Received the Airpods back and they are not mine. Quite obviously fakes, I recorded myself opening them as evidence.
Edited by: "RamsMax" 18th Aug

Look at my comments above. You're right, someone has switched them for fakes
RamsMax18/08/2020 21:01

Look at my comments above. You're right, someone has switched them for …Look at my comments above. You're right, someone has switched them for fakes

Omg that is absolutely appalling.
frrft18/08/2020 21:15

Omg that is absolutely appalling.

Please don’t use CEX to sell high value items (if anything at all). I have sent them an email that contains the 12 photos I took of the genuine AirPods before sending them and the video I took when opening the package containing the fake AirPods they sent back to me. With all this proof, hopefully I get the money I was originally offered or my genuine Airpods back.
Edited by: "RamsMax" 19th Aug
I understand your logic but what's stopping them from accusing you of taking photos of genuine Airpods and then sending off fake ones. It's going to be hard to prove. If you think a theft has occurred you could always get the police involved, though I suspect they won't do much.
Edited by: "MANDRIB" 18th Aug
MANDRIB18/08/2020 21:38

I understand your logic but what's stopping them from accusing you of …I understand your logic but what's stopping them from accusing you of taking photos of genuine Airpods and then sending off fake ones. It's going to be hard to prove. If you think a theft has occurred you could always get the police involved, though I suspect they won't do much.

The photos I took of the genuine AirPods I sent were next to a piece of paper with the original CEX trade in order number to show that these are the ones that will be sent for trade in. Realistically, what more could I have done?
RamsMax18/08/2020 21:39

The photos I took of the genuine AirPods I sent were next to a piece of …The photos I took of the genuine AirPods I sent were next to a piece of paper with the original CEX trade in order number to show that these are the ones that will be sent for trade in. Realistically, what more could I have done?

Not much, really. All you can do now is keep making noise, I guess. It is a bit of a crap situation. Best of luck with it, hopefully you'll get the genuine ones back eventually.
MANDRIB18/08/2020 21:42

Not much, really. All you can do now is keep making noise, I guess. It is …Not much, really. All you can do now is keep making noise, I guess. It is a bit of a crap situation. Best of luck with it, hopefully you'll get the genuine ones back eventually.

The next step will be to get a crime reference number with the police and open a complaint with Trading Standards
wow thats crazy sorry pal i hope you get your genuine ones back
jay.spearing18/08/2020 21:48

wow thats crazy sorry pal i hope you get your genuine ones back

Can't believe it myself. Will never be using CEX again for anything
Get on twitter and raise hell. make yourself a nuisance.
khirsah18/08/2020 21:50

Get on twitter and raise hell. make yourself a nuisance.

Aye good shout. Circulate this and try to get it retweeted lots they won’t like the attention and hopefully will push them to sort it out. I honestly don’t know what more this guy could have done! This is a dreadful situation. You trust these companies and some idiot does this!
Papers could be worth a shout , if they done it to you how many other people have been robbed who are less aware.

Hope you get it sorted

Email of ceo

CeX

Mr David Butler CEO

Email dbutler@webuy.com

Website webuy.com/
Personal Twitter @zylonmule
Social Media T

Advice from CEOemail.com How to write your email to a CEO

Related lists UK Companies (C)

Suggest a change to this information held on CEOemail.com
Edited by: "ashmac" 18th Aug
RamsMax18/08/2020 21:31

Please don’t use CEX to sell high value items (if anything at all). I have …Please don’t use CEX to sell high value items (if anything at all). I have sent them an email that contains the 12 photos I took of the genuine AirPods before sending them and the video I took when opening the package containing the fake AirPods they sent back to me. With all this proof, it will be hard for them to fight back.

Can’t believe this I feel really angry for you. All you did was sell something. The service they provide!! Like someone else said get it circulated on twitter make some fuss about it this is absolutely dreadful. They’re really going to have to investigate this hard and find out who was in possession of your goods. There’s a thread on reddit called r/Cex might be worth posting there as lots of ex and current employees post there and may be able to help
Since the CEX sale label was already printed on the fake Airpods I received from CEX, I know the name of the person who must have tested the item
I read this thread a few days ago but had no real input to offer. I just hoped you'd get back what you sent them. This new info is infuriating and I can just imagine how frustrated you must feel. I don't see what else you could have done and as others have already said - make a lot of fuss. Also, consider perhaps putting a video on Youtube to vent your anger/frustration at using a well-known company you trusted to trade with. It certainly helped those traders who appealed against Ebay as their PR people got to see the vid and replied to them with an apology.

It seems the only way forward sometimes is to name and shame and hit them where it hurts most - marketing.

Good luck RamsMax. Please keep us updated on your progress as I really want to read a successful resolution to your issue in the not-too-distant future.

SHAME ON YOU, CEX. SOMEONE IN YOUR COMPANY IS VERY DECEITFUL!
Phsycronix19/08/2020 11:01

I read this thread a few days ago but had no real input to offer. I just …I read this thread a few days ago but had no real input to offer. I just hoped you'd get back what you sent them. This new info is infuriating and I can just imagine how frustrated you must feel. I don't see what else you could have done and as others have already said - make a lot of fuss. Also, consider perhaps putting a video on Youtube to vent your anger/frustration at using a well-known company you trusted to trade with. It certainly helped those traders who appealed against Ebay as their PR people got to see the vid and replied to them with an apology.It seems the only way forward sometimes is to name and shame and hit them where it hurts most - marketing.Good luck RamsMax. Please keep us updated on your progress as I really want to read a successful resolution to your issue in the not-too-distant future.SHAME ON YOU, CEX. SOMEONE IN YOUR COMPANY IS VERY DECEITFUL!

Thank you very much
I'm just waiting for a reply from CEX at the moment
Pretty much standard for CEX, I used the online trade in once. Sent in a perfect item, they sent me photos of a really scratch up item that definitely wasn't mine and tried to offer me less than half. It was something like Grade A (which I did) - £22 or Grade B at the time was £20. By the time they were received and tested the prices had halved so they tried to give me the lower grade as it was then, after lots of complaints and me sending in photos we settled on Grade B at the time I did the order (although they tried to deny that price ever existed for a while). I took the small hit and cut my loses and won't use them again. Obviously your case is even worse so this isn't an option.
Post a comment
@
    Text