Cex issues and windows queries

Found 6th Aug 2017
Hi

I bought a alienware pc for parts to drop my 1070 into from CEX with a 2tb hdd, windows 10 and in class B condition. I have a few gripes with what I received

Firstly I'm pretty sure the inside of it had never been cleaned in its lifespan, I don't know if they are meant to clean their pcs inside but this is truly disgusting and will cost a few quid in air and a bit of time to get it acceptable.

It came with 2 x 1tb hdd in raid, not the end of the world but I intended to fit the max number of hard drives in it so it's a bit annoying

The mechanism for the case door was broken, which IMO drops it down to a C and not B condition

Finally, it came with windows 10 on the pc, but the official recovery media was all for windows 8, and no licence key for windows 10 has been provided to me.

I emailed them asking for a windows licence to be provided (as i was going to install an ssd) and a partial refund which is fair, and they basically said we're sorry , return for a replacement or full refund. I replied pointing out its OOS and I do want the item, so given the issues feel a partial refund is fair, again reiterating I want a W10 key provided.

I feel I'm going to get nowhere with this and was wondering A) is there anywhere I can go higher up within cex that will actually get a response and B) what is the legality surrounding providing a W10 system without a valid key and/or media, when the OEM system was W8 (they, or someone have removed the original w8 licence key sticker as far as I can see) and if this isn't legal where can I report them for this bad business practice

Any help is appreciated!

Here's some pics of skanky not yet cleaned PC -_-

2758279.jpg2758279.jpg2758279.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
The PC could have had windows 10 installed whilst the free incentive was available.

some light reading.

Reinstalling windows 10 upgrade after format.

Their was a list of company directors website contact details, with email addresses. It posted a few years back, I've looked cannot find it . edit i think its this but I cannot access it or its shut down ceo email

but this maybe of some use, I feel it would probably only lead to the full refund again but you could get some better advice.

resolver
Edited by: "antony4462" 6th Aug 2017
Sometimes raising the issue on twitter and Facebook has a better response.
Class B implies it starts and runs ok, that being the case there is plenty of available free software to find windows keys

I would use Belarc Advisor as it will tell you a lot more about your system.

You can save or print the results for use when needed
Edited by: "Kamisuma" 6th Aug 2017
Thanks for the help guys, I'll have a proper read through these when I'm home and hopefully get somewhere!
[quote]Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either a digital licenseor a 25-character product key.
Digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10, Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key. [/quote]

source: support.microsoft.com/en-…ion

You can make a Windows 10 installation USB stick/DVD via the media creation tool available here: https//www.microsoft.com/en-…s10
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 6th Aug 2017
I would be interested to know what you paid and the full spec, if it were me I would be inclined to take it back for a full refund and look elsewhere. Perhaps build yourself or look used, unless you were trading against this CEXs prices are never that keen.
You have a nice 1070, probably an open Air one, dont suffocate it inside the case or you could lose out on some performance due to how nvidia turbo boost works.(Temps)
Gowlande30 m ago

I would be interested to know what you paid and the full spec, if it were …I would be interested to know what you paid and the full spec, if it were me I would be inclined to take it back for a full refund and look elsewhere. Perhaps build yourself or look used, unless you were trading against this CEXs prices are never that keen.You have a nice 1070, probably an open Air one, dont suffocate it inside the case or you could lose out on some performance due to how nvidia turbo boost works.(Temps)

I paid 320 for it with this spec:

Item: SDESALIAURR40810B - Alienware Aurora R4/i7-4820K/8GB Ram/2TB HDD/GTX760 1.5GB/DVD-RW/Win 10/B
Category: Desktops - Windows
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: £320 / Total Price: £320

I'm currently running a i5 4570, so the 4820k is a improvement on my current CPU.

My plan was to sell my PSU (Seasonic 520w MII bronze), Mobo (MSI z87i, i think) and current I5 to recoup some costs, and just drop my 1070 (correct with the open air, gigabyte G1), 16gb ram and evo ssd in there. Was going to keep my current case for a future build as I love it, mini ITX Cooltek W1, now discontinued I believe.

Obviously then I'd get rid of the 760 and the 8gb ram from the Aurora (4x2gb unfortunately) so it should be close to getting a couple of free upgrades in the form of a couple of extra hdd and a psu/cpu upgrade, made all the better by the fact I used about £270 of CEX vouchers I had in a drawer that were gathering dust! I feel it was good value in parts for the price I paid, but despite that shouldn't have had the issues I've encountered!
Edited by: "bryngreen" 6th Aug 2017
bryngreen21 m ago

I paid 320 for it with this spec:Item: SDESALIAURR40810B - Alienware …I paid 320 for it with this spec:Item: SDESALIAURR40810B - Alienware Aurora R4/i7-4820K/8GB Ram/2TB HDD/GTX760 1.5GB/DVD-RW/Win 10/BCategory: Desktops - WindowsQuantity: 1Unit Price: £320 / Total Price: £320I'm currently running a i5 4570, so the 4820k is a improvement on my current CPU. My plan was to sell my PSU (Seasonic 520w MII bronze), Mobo (MSI z87i, i think) and current I5 to recoup some costs, and just drop my 1070 (correct with the open air, gigabyte G1), 16gb ram and evo ssd in there. Was going to keep my current case for a future build as I love it, mini ITX Cooltek W1, now discontinued I believe. Obviously then I'd get rid of the 760 and the 8gb ram from the Aurora (4x2gb unfortunately) so it should be close to getting a couple of free upgrades in the form of a couple of extra hdd and a psu/cpu upgrade, made all the better by the fact I used about £270 of CEX vouchers I had in a drawer that were gathering dust! I feel it was good value in parts for the price I paid, but despite that shouldn't have had the issues I've encountered!

That was well executed then, not to much Damage.
The price paid was good for the spec, I have seen older i7 3930K models go for a bit cheaper and on the rare ocassion the 60x but that is on gumtree. So at least with CEX they give you a warranty.
Given the price paid and how you managed to do it, I take back what I initially said, I think I would keep it.
From past experince I tried to get a partial refund from CEX but did not have any luck, just return offer.

With the bits you have left, I would buy a cheap case perhaps the Bit Fenix one for circa £30, get a cheap drive or ssd. Sell your old bits as a whole system with the 760, you could probably get shy of £300 on Gumtree. Keeping your old mini itx case you like for the future.

With regards to CEX, I dont feel you will get any where with them, just try complete a complaint process and you may get something out of it.
But nevertheless, the system you got was good value and you managed to get a good deal with your trade in credit.
Get that case as clean as possible and try enjoy the computer.

One cool thing to mention, is if in the future you want to go further with the cpu is the X79 board on those alienware R4s have had luck with xeon chips, so you could potentially get something like a ES 2670v1/2 in there. Cool to know, but do realise this comes with risk and would only recommend after a lot of research.
Gowlande38 m ago

That was well executed then, not to much Damage. The price paid was good …That was well executed then, not to much Damage. The price paid was good for the spec, I have seen older i7 3930K models go for a bit cheaper and on the rare ocassion the 60x but that is on gumtree. So at least with CEX they give you a warranty. Given the price paid and how you managed to do it, I take back what I initially said, I think I would keep it. From past experince I tried to get a partial refund from CEX but did not have any luck, just return offer. With the bits you have left, I would buy a cheap case perhaps the Bit Fenix one for circa £30, get a cheap drive or ssd. Sell your old bits as a whole system with the 760, you could probably get shy of £300 on Gumtree. Keeping your old mini itx case you like for the future. With regards to CEX, I dont feel you will get any where with them, just try complete a complaint process and you may get something out of it. But nevertheless, the system you got was good value and you managed to get a good deal with your trade in credit. Get that case as clean as possible and try enjoy the computer. One cool thing to mention, is if in the future you want to go further with the cpu is the X79 board on those alienware R4s have had luck with xeon chips, so you could potentially get something like a ES 2670v1/2 in there. Cool to know, but do realise this comes with risk and would only recommend after a lot of research.

I think that's a pretty good idea for selling the system, I will have a spare drive aswell due to them giving me 2x1tb. That's quite interesting regarding the Xeon chips and could well be worth a look somewhere down the line . I'll keep at it with CEX but I recently had a issue with a phone I had blacklisted, about a month after purchase, they fully refunded but I had already bought accessories by this point. They offered me a fiver, and after back and forth saying this isn't good enough I got £17.50, which just about covered the phone specific accessories I had bought, not taking into account the hassle of not having a phone until I took out a new contract!
Windows 8 OEM tended to use an embedded key. You can retrieve it with a suitable finder - intowindows.com/how…os/

If it was upgraded in the qualifying period, Activation will say "digital licence" - and if you have to re-install, download media using the Microsoft media creation tool and skip the key when installing, once the digital licence is activated, it will be automatic and tied to certain parts of the system, most likely the motherboard is what it's linked to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants