Expired

CEX Laptops? Good Value? Overpriced? Retail/New Equivalent?

Found 15th Apr 2014
I bought my last laptop from CEX about 2 years ago when id amassed a small fortune in credit.

It was phenomenal compared to anything Currys, PC World, Interweb had to offer.

However, that was 2 years ago… So its time to upgrade.

I've seen one in my local again… I've got my old laptop, which I might trade in – but that’s all ‘bespoke’ so wouldn’t know how much id get.

*But*

The one in the window is;

HP Windows 8
17” Screen
I7 2.4Ghz
16GB RAM
3TB HDD

I haven’t checked to see if it has a graphics card, but mine has a 1GB Dedicated… So id expect this or a 2GB minimum.

Its £825. Which in current exchange rate for a ‘cash equivalent’ is about £620-£700

Is that a good price?

What would a top of the line Dell/Alienware laptop cost along these specs?

My current one is a Dell L20X (or something like that).

Sell privately?
Community Updates
AskLaptop
3 Comments
I can get this [below] for £800/Credit // £600/Cash
amazon.co.uk/HP-…D5I

#PotentialReplacement

I haven’t checked to see if it has a graphics card, but mine has a 1GB D … I haven’t checked to see if it has a graphics card, but mine has a 1GB Dedicated… So id expect this or a 2GB minimum.

The amout of RAM the card has will have little impact on performance, the actual card you have will be the biggest influence. ie a 3gb graphics cards can perform significantly worse than a decent 1gb card.

On your machine the RAM is a cheap solution that makes little difference to the end user but in many cases is used as a selling point to make it appear better than a competitor.

My current one is a Dell L20X (or something like that).

Based on this I'd expect it's either an XPS L502x or L702x (15inch and 17 inch screens respectively). On what other bits you have said it will be the latter as the former only went up to 1.5tb of storage space. It's also got the less powerful 550m rather than the more powerful 555m. Could possibly be an older L701x just before they were discontinued but I doubt it.

As to comparisons, it's hard to compare without actual firm specifications a laptop with a first generation i7 would be wiped out by a modern one but we can't possibly know what one this HP machine runs. I appreciate that you've put a link to an Envy 17 but they have made quite a few of those with various specifications, how sure are you that the one from Amazon is the same as the one in the window?

Furthermore the HP you listed appears to be very little by way of an upgrade to your current machine, if my evaluation of your XPS is correct (I presume it's the 900px screen rather than the 1080px ones). The Graphics card is only a negligible increase in performance and the CPU depending on what one you have now could even possibly be a worse performer than the newer HP. You certainly will want to punch the service code into the dell site and paste up the full spec sheet.

What would a top of the line Dell/Alienware laptop cost along these specs?

I'll also add that the XPS series was never really a top of line model, more an upper mid class entertainment machine, never really set to blister gaming performance but could adequately give some reasonable results. It was designed to fill the void just below the entry level for Alienware machines for those who want to game but want something that actually looks like it was designed by an adult and not a 14 year old.

A top of line Alienware will set you back well into 4 digits £1300 is the starting price for a comparable one offering a decent CPU and GPU, but to specify the rest of it up to standard ie decent amount of RAM, disk drives screen etc will push you well towards £2000.
I wouldn't touch it. Large, expensive and its a hp.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions