Cex multiple item 25% fee ?

Posted 3rd Jan
I organised selling 2 items of the same to cex last week, on the website it showed an amount id get, receivied an email tonight saying

"Upon receiving your order we noticed you are selling multiples of the same/similar item. Due to this, your entire order is subject to a 25% discount."

Now, seems a bit of a joke.....can i ask them to honor the price? Or do i have to get send them back...then i send them one at a time to sell o.O

Pretty dumb imo.
Community Updates
From CeX: "If you want to sell multiple copies of the same/similar item then a bulk discount may be applied. You will be emailed details of any change of price and allowed 5 working days to respond. If you fail to reply, this will be seen as your agreement to the new offer and the transaction will be processed. Please make sure you reply if you do not wish to accept the new price."

Groups

Top comments
Felicitous03/01/2020 20:30

They are basically scamming the customer with such a policy and no …They are basically scamming the customer with such a policy and no reasonign behind it

Scamming? No one is forcing you to sell to them.
31 Comments
They did a similar thing with me when I was selling two PS Vitas when they first came out, they graded one as a B, I was it was brand new and sealed, they said yes but you've had two! No idea how that works but they must not let you trade in two of the same items if they have value
Ah i see, yeah both of my items are still new and sealed also.

Could understand if 4 or more but two....and 25% is a large bump.
Edited by: "cammeyz" 3rd Jan
cammeyz03/01/2020 20:15

Ah i see, yeah both of my items are still new and sealed also. Could …Ah i see, yeah both of my items are still new and sealed also. Could understand if 4 or more but two....and 25% is a large bump.

Yeah its shocking but what can you do! You could sell one of the items to them, get the other one sent back and ask somebody else to go into the shop to sell it for you under their name, or try selling private!
cammeyz03/01/2020 20:15

Ah i see, yeah both of my items are still new and sealed also. Could …Ah i see, yeah both of my items are still new and sealed also. Could understand if 4 or more but two....and 25% is a large bump.

wasnt by any chance the portal mini's?
They are basically scamming the customer with such a policy and no reasonign behind it

They are basically scamming the customer with such a policy and no …They are basically scamming the customer with such a policy and no reasonign behind it

Scamming? No one is forcing you to sell to them.

They’re not scamming anyone, it’s their policy. People selling multiple of the same item are clearly doing it to make profit... That is their way of thinking, so as such will reduce the amount payable.

Toon_army03/01/2020 20:19

Yeah its shocking but what can you do! You could sell one of the items to …Yeah its shocking but what can you do! You could sell one of the items to them, get the other one sent back and ask somebody else to go into the shop to sell it for you under their name, or try selling private!

This actually sometimes isn’t an option, as they now know you have more than 1 that you are intending to sell. In which case they will normally still only offer the figure minus the 25% for a single item. They do this as they know you will likely sell the other one at a separate time/store
I think they should have made you aware before you sent them - is this in their t& c’s? Now that they have them, who pays return postage if you decide not to sell?
JumpMan198004/01/2020 08:21

I think they should have made you aware before you sent them - is this in …I think they should have made you aware before you sent them - is this in their t& c’s? Now that they have them, who pays return postage if you decide not to sell?

Yes, the multple item policy is set out in their FAQs. They'll pay return shipping for items not accepted for sale.

uk.support.webuy.com/sup…673
Ask to honour, if they don’t get 1 sent back and resend..
Bargainhead04/01/2020 09:34

Ask to honour, if they don’t get 1 sent back and resend..

There's no chance that they'll pay the full single item price now, that's why this notification has been issued.
Asked them to honor but they won't, they said they will accept one of them and send the other back free post, told me I can't sell the other for 28 days unless I get charged the fee.

Tbh I would of maybe took 25% off one.... But they wanted 25% off whole order o well, I'll know if there's ever a next time.
cammeyz04/01/2020 09:43

Asked them to honor but they won't, they said they will accept one of them …Asked them to honor but they won't, they said they will accept one of them and send the other back free post, told me I can't sell the other for 28 days unless I get charged the fee.Tbh I would of maybe took 25% off one.... But they wanted 25% off whole order o well, I'll know if there's ever a next time.

It's not a really a 'fee' that they're charging here - it's better thought of as a discount on the price that they're willing to pay. CeX doesn't exist to support trading activity, which is what the majority of scenarios involving sales of multiple identical items will relate to.
Fee or discount, I find it just crazy they don't mention through all the selling process they take 50% off another duplicate item value.
cammeyz04/01/2020 10:47

Fee or discount, I find it just crazy they don't mention through all the …Fee or discount, I find it just crazy they don't mention through all the selling process they take 50% off another duplicate item value.

As above, it's in the FAQs. They don't always do so, depending on what and how many you're selling, but have the right to.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 4th Jan
Once I went to argos and bought 4 echo shows and then walked across the road to cex and sold them 3 of them for over £100 profit. At first they werent keen on buying so many but they let me off.
They simply don't like it when anyone else makes a few £. I try to avoid them and that's pretty easy as it's rare they pay more than you can make on ebay.
JohnnyRoller03/01/2020 20:52

...People selling multiple of the same item are clearly doing it to make …...People selling multiple of the same item are clearly doing it to make profit...

An idiotic reply; what's wrong with that ?

A random example:
39589146-abuC2.jpg
For that item they will make a maximum of £300-210=£90 profit . Of course, they have to pay taxes, people, etc. but in the end their role is to make, PROFIT.

I haven't sold anything to Cex, but I was planning buying something from them. Then I realized, if they can buy much cheaper, I can buy much cheaper too ...so I found other sources.

If A has something to sell and B is happy with that price, then there's no problem. The issue is when A has the monopoly ...like BT, Royal Mail, etc. Surprisingly no one cares.
TobyZ04/01/2020 17:59

An idiotic reply; what's wrong with that ?A random example:[Image] For …An idiotic reply; what's wrong with that ?A random example:[Image] For that item they will make a maximum of £300-210=£90 profit . Of course, they have to pay taxes, people, etc. but in the end their role is to make, PROFIT.I haven't sold anything to Cex, but I was planning buying something from them. Then I realized, if they can buy much cheaper, I can buy much cheaper too ...so I found other sources.If A has something to sell and B is happy with that price, then there's no problem. The issue is when A has the monopoly ...like BT, Royal Mail, etc. Surprisingly no one cares.

They are not offering prices for customers to make profit from them, they don’t trade under those terms. If someone walks in with 5 copies of a game and is willing to sell them all, clearly that customer got them cheap/free and is wanted a quick shift for profit. CeX are under no obligation to buy off you, so will offer a lower price if you have multiples... It really is that simple
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 4th Jan
JohnnyRoller04/01/2020 18:16

They are not offering prices for customers to make profit from them, they …They are not offering prices for customers to make profit from them, they don’t trade under those terms. If someone walks in with 5 copies of a game and is willing to sell them all, clearly that customer got them cheap/free and is wanted a quick shift for profit. CeX are under no obligation to buy off you, so will offer a lower price if you have multiples... It really is that simple

CeX is making Profit, here is a simple example

39590362-5KHGU.jpg
39590362-WcSKM.jpg
Are you saying that storing a new video card is 137-27=£110 more expensive than storing an old card ? They add at least +30% more; this is also called, profit.
Now you know that, in theory, you can find an item 30% cheaper than at CeX (expecially if you don't care about warranty).

No one said they are forced to buy from you, just to make it clear about the rules.
TobyZ04/01/2020 20:00

CeX is making Profit, here is a simple example[Image] [Image] Are you …CeX is making Profit, here is a simple example[Image] [Image] Are you saying that storing a new video card is 137-27=£110 more expensive than storing an old card ? They add at least +30% more; this is also called, profit.Now you know that, in theory, you can find an item 30% cheaper than at CeX (expecially if you don't care about warranty).No one said they are forced to buy from you, just to make it clear about the rules.

I didn’t say they weren’t making profit I said they are not going to allow customers to make profit off them... Hence why they drop their offers on multiples of the same item
TobyZ04/01/2020 20:00

CeX is making Profit, here is a simple example[Image] [Image] Are you …CeX is making Profit, here is a simple example[Image] [Image] Are you saying that storing a new video card is 137-27=£110 more expensive than storing an old card ? They add at least +30% more; this is also called, profit.Now you know that, in theory, you can find an item 30% cheaper than at CeX (expecially if you don't care about warranty).No one said they are forced to buy from you, just to make it clear about the rules.

They wouldn’t be a business if they didn’t make profit...
JohnnyRoller04/01/2020 20:19

... they are not going to allow customers to make profit off them...

Now I understand: someone's purpose in life is to feed CeX so THEY can make profit. It makes sense.
I'm pretty sure if X or Y sells to CeX a RTX 2080 for £100 (just to get rid of it), CeX will only add +30% and sells it for £130.
Illusionary04/01/2020 08:28

Yes, the multple item policy is set out in their FAQs. They'll pay return …Yes, the multple item policy is set out in their FAQs. They'll pay return shipping for items not accepted for sale.https://uk.support.webuy.com/support/solutions/folders/17000125673

This is odd. Whilst I'm fairly certain they're within their rights to send you an amended offer, and lower the amount for any reason (including because you are asking them to buy more than one of something), I'm not entirely convinced the same can be said for

". . . You will be emailed details of any change of price and allowed 5 working days to respond. If you fail to reply, this will be seen as your agreement to the new offer . . ."
TobyZ04/01/2020 17:59

An idiotic reply; what's wrong with that ?A random example:[Image] For …An idiotic reply; what's wrong with that ?A random example:[Image] For that item they will make a maximum of £300-210=£90 profit . Of course, they have to pay taxes, people, etc. but in the end their role is to make, PROFIT.I haven't sold anything to Cex, but I was planning buying something from them. Then I realized, if they can buy much cheaper, I can buy much cheaper too ...so I found other sources.If A has something to sell and B is happy with that price, then there's no problem. The issue is when A has the monopoly ...like BT, Royal Mail, etc. Surprisingly no one cares.

CEX offer a 24 month warranty (or at least last time I bought from them they did and I don't think it's changed) on products so for many buyers that warranty is worth an extra couple of quid over buying privately.
sicklysweet04/01/2020 22:01

CEX offer a 24 month warranty (or at least last time I bought from them …CEX offer a 24 month warranty (or at least last time I bought from them they did and I don't think it's changed) on products so for many buyers that warranty is worth an extra couple of quid over buying privately.

It is a little less good than that
"24 Month warranty on all items (except consumables) - Outside of the 30 day period, if your item develops a fault through no fault of your own, we will aim to repair/ replace the item. In the event that this isn't possible, we will issue a refund to the original payment method at the original sales value, provided the item is returned within 6 months from the date of purchase. If your item is returned after 6 months from the date of purchase then we will refund as per the current sales value or original sales value (whichever is the lower)."
uk.support.webuy.com/sup…cy-

and the OP's question
uk.support.webuy.com/sup…ld-
Wongy11004/01/2020 22:17

It is a little less good than that"24 Month warranty on all items (except …It is a little less good than that"24 Month warranty on all items (except consumables) - Outside of the 30 day period, if your item develops a fault through no fault of your own, we will aim to repair/ replace the item. In the event that this isn't possible, we will issue a refund to the original payment method at the original sales value, provided the item is returned within 6 months from the date of purchase. If your item is returned after 6 months from the date of purchase then we will refund as per the current sales value or original sales value (whichever is the lower)."https://uk.support.webuy.com/support/solutions/articles/17000053412-what-is-your-store-returns-policy-and the OP's questionhttps://uk.support.webuy.com/support/solutions/articles/17000052797-can-multiples-of-the-same-item-be-sold-

That's interesting but seems reasonable in all fairness. So you get a proper 6 month warranty and then market price for the additional 18 months. Still, not bad if their prices aren't much higher than private sales etc.
Illusionary04/01/2020 09:42

There's no chance that they'll pay the full single item price now, that's …There's no chance that they'll pay the full single item price now, that's why this notification has been issued.

They did accept one at full price, good job op didn’t listen to you...
Bargainhead05/01/2020 08:46

They did accept one at full price, good job op didn’t listen to you...

I was referring to them paying the full single item price for both items, which is what was being proposed - no need for the passive aggressive tone.
I think OP might be leaving something out here.

You've either sold more of the same item in the past, making it more than 2 of the same item.
Or you're selling them something that they really don't want.

They're fine receiving multiple items, unless you're taking the mick.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions