CEX Warranty Isnt Worth A Sausage (Or Am I Getting Screwed?)

Found 15th Jan 2016
Afternoon All,

I thought CEX extending their warranty to 2 years was a nice touch – but until today, ive never had to return anything under warranty.

I bought a laptop (£190) just under a year ago and the network card has failed as well as the hard drive (multiple times). So returned it under the warranty.

I received a refund of “Current Value” £110. So its cost me £80?

Surely that’s not a warranty then!? Ive effectively just traded in a broken laptop (that they sold me) and got a slightly better trade in rate!?

Can this be right – or am I being bent over?

Would their ‘WeBuy’ email address even bother to replying to a question like this?
Community Updates
AskScrewsSausage
9 Comments
They are correct unfortunately.

You have used the laptop for a year and the seller can by law take this into consideration when negotiating a refund price.

Would you say that £80 for a years use of a laptop is reasonable? I would say so.
Edited by: "NEtech" 15th Jan 2016
NEtech

They are correct unfortunately.You have used the laptop for a year and … They are correct unfortunately.You have used the laptop for a year and the seller can by law take this into consideration when negotiating a refund price.Would you say that £80 for a years use of a laptop is reasonable? I would say so.

exactly - this all set out in CEX T&Cs

they will offer a repair / replacement if available or refund you the current selling price of the item

if you had sold the laptop today as working how much would it have been worth?

I guess this rule is to stop exploitation of CEX by unscrupulous buyers of electronics !! i.e. buy a phone today and "claim" / "make sure" it is broken then claim full original vaule back from CEX ...

EliTom
Original Poster
elitom

I guess this rule is to stop exploitation of CEX by unscrupulous buyers … I guess this rule is to stop exploitation of CEX by unscrupulous buyers of electronics !! i.e. buy a phone today and "claim" / "make sure" it is broken then claim full original vaule back from CEX ...

But thats not a warranty... How would you break a phone without causing damage/breaking a seal?

If you drown it - the Water Dot will show up... If its smashed, thats accidental damage. But if the phone just stopped turning on one day and 11 months later they gave you half your money back... that sucks.

I just dont know any other warranty like it.

Ive had a TV die on me after 2.5 years into a 3 year warranty and they just replaced it. They offered me the cash equivalent of the TV they were giving me - but the stats were the same so it was perfect.

Yes, some might say £80 for a year of laptop use is good - but seeing as in that time it was probably only used 20 times - plus the fact its more the representation of price paid. Its nearly half.

If I sold the laptop today - I would get £220+ for it according to eBay selling price. Its a nice laptop, hence why I got it when I saw it for £190.

But, to get that £220, id have to fix it - which shouldnt be my job to do.

Makes me really not want to buy my goods from them now. Its not a warranty - its more like a Extended Refund Policy.
Original Poster
NEtech

They are correct unfortunately.

But are they correct in terms of a warranty - or are they correct in terms of their own random-worded-warranty?

This is just them who do 'Current Value/Sale Price' refund right?

The only time ive had that before is when I returned something to HMV years (and years) ago where I didnt have a receipt.

But I had the receipt and everything.

I would have happily accepted a replacement!
Silhouette

But are they correct in terms of a warranty - or are they correct in … But are they correct in terms of a warranty - or are they correct in terms of their own random-worded-warranty?This is just them who do 'Current Value/Sale Price' refund right?The only time ive had that before is when I returned something to HMV years (and years) ago where I didnt have a receipt.But I had the receipt and everything.I would have happily accepted a replacement!

As I posted, it is the law. A lot of companies will give you the full lot because they value their customers but there are quite a few who will mark it down and only offer so much.
Other companies do this I worked for one that had the same system. They aren't breaking the law. You might not like it but it's within their rights sadly.
I am bit confused, you say the hard drive failed multiple times (how many?), what did you do? Apparently you didn't send it back under warranty as you say this is the first time you have done so. On the other hand, if you have sent it back before they may have considered this when calculating your refund.
Edited by: "emiliaserv" 15th Jan 2016
Sounds iffy as it's pretty hard to frag a network card. Normally its a bridge that fails. Did you try swapping parts yourself and have you been rough with it ?
The two year warranty was put in plase as of December 2015, anything purchased prior to this would still only has the valid 12 months.

What NEtech has said is also correct.

As it was within the year warranty, why didn't you get it repaired/replaced?

Edited by: "Con_G" 15th Jan 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants