Posted 5 January 2014

CEX - whats the quality like?

Hey folks, never ordered online from CEX, few questions.
What are they like with quality?

Do they do ex-rentals?

Also if I saw a special studio edition of a blu-ray, i.e.. a digibook with a loose book inside it, can I expect the book the be missing?

Do they differentiate on their site between ex-rental and regular stuff or is it just hope for the best / get what your given (i.e. Blockbuster)?

Ta...
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Everything you buy will reek of B.O.
    Better of going in store to look at quality, have ordered online before and the items where not poor by any means but you do get what you are given.
    I've found them to be much better than Blockbuster but it's just your luck really. Ex-rentals are normally listed separately on the website and will be called 'Budget Version' or something similar so you should be ok there.
    how long is a piece of string
    drom experience on here online can be touch and go

and yes they do ex-rentals just like instore
    KM4353

how long is a piece of string

as long as you cut it
    Author
    There's not a store too close to me though. That's cool they differentiate between the ex-rentals. Can I expect a missing booklet though?
    On-line is terrible. I ordered 40 cds and 20 had to be returned they were so badly scratched. They did refund my money and the £12 postage costs so in the end it cost them dearly. I do not understand the staff member that firstly accepts such poor quality items when they are traded in or the staff member that picks the orders. Obviously they do not care.

Buy in-store and then at least before you leave you can check the quality.
    You are better of buying from Zoverstocks on Amazon or estocks (same company) on Ebay. Excellent customer service and rare an item is damaged or wrong.
    Alot of the time theyre alright but they often send me the wrong thing. eg. Ive bought assassin's creed 2 black edition & recieved a bog standard copy of the game and last week I bought dexter 1-8 limited edition dvd and they sent me the standard edition
    Going be pot luck what the condition is or if manual missing. As already said Zoverstocks are good to buy from preowned.
    Ordered a few times from cex online and found some of the film/game boxes were a bit minty compared to when buying in the shop as you can see the quality before you buy and check the disc condition if you want. I purchased a blu ray also and when it arrived it said display only not for sale all over the box and disc so I had to do a paypal claim to sort as their cs wasnt interested

Hey folks, never ordered online from CEX, few questions.What are they … Hey folks, never ordered online from CEX, few questions.What are they like with quality?[/quote[It differs. If you buy an ex-rental copy you know what to expect and it all depends on how it arrives on transit, but they package the goods adequately enough. Most stuff I've ordered from them has ranged from great to barely acceptable. You can contact them if a problem was to arise.[quote]Do they do ex-rentals?

If you check out the site you'll see for example "The Dark Knight Rises BR" and "The Dark Knight Rises BR BV". If you see "BV" at the end that indicates a budget version aka rental copy.

Also if I saw a special studio edition of a blu-ray, i.e.. a digibook … Also if I saw a special studio edition of a blu-ray, i.e.. a digibook with a loose book inside it, can I expect the book the be missing?

I've never purchased either a steelbook or digibook via CeX. I once ordered a boxset from them, which arrived very tatty and after returning it for a better copy they sent out a copy in just as worse condition. So to play it safe I'd stick with bog-standard editions that they're unlikely to mess up.

Lastly, I've ordered around 10+ Blu-rays before Christmas, they arrived very quickly. However as usual, one had the official disc but a photocopied paper inlay. These antics are the reason why I don't normally use them, unless there's something you really want and far cheaper than any other retailers, I say take the punt, but for a few quid off, forget it. You'll end spending more money and time re-packaging and returning the goods. They did however refund my postage costs last time. Just don't rely on them for Christmas/birthday presents and you'll be good

Author
    Ok no further replies needed lol... I think I'll skip 'em!
's avatar