CEX would not buy my games and DS from me

Happy Christmas everybody!

36 Comments

Get over it and sell on eBay/gumtree....

Thy're under no obligation to accept *any* trade in at all, I'm afraid, so there's nothing that you can do here. This is especially the case with hardware (where faults are more likely that with software) and bulk sales (which have increased risk of being profitable to them if they can't sell the stock).

On the multiple games point specifically, yes, you can expect to have a bulk purchase reduction applied if you want to sell several copies. This is in their help pages in the case of online trades and will apply similarly in-store. There's also the overriding point that any trades are subject to refusal at the store manager's discretion.

Wat games r they

i used to work for CEX. Unfortunately most is correct. if it's a corporate store they have to do everything by the book. if it's a franchise you can bend the rules. Unfortunately in CEX there are many shoplifters/thieves trying to sell multiple copys of games and also the serial of the DS has to go onto the database. Has to come with an official charger also. What i would have done is take 10% off the total bulk buy and take them in.9not the DS though) You also have a receipt which helps.
Hope this helps.

Edited by: "skidderbrown" 21st Dec 2016

Not sure what you expect as an answer but:

1. No company is under any obligation to buy anything from anyone, it is always "discretionary".
2. Missing serial numbers mean they cannot check for it being stolen and if it was later found to be stolen they would be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods and not taking "reasonable" precautions.
3. All companies have a legal duty to take "reasonable" steps to avoid aiding the sale or purchase of stolen goods
4. Not wanting to buy multiple copies of the same item (even with a receipt) is at their discretion.

In short you have no redress at all. Another branch may take a different view, but its discretionary.

Did you try Game? They beat CEX prices as well

So you walked into a shop with 9 sealed copies of a game and wonder why they think it might be dodgy?

Seriously mate you did it all wrong.

Original Poster

catbeans

So you walked into a shop with 9 sealed copies of a game and wonder why … So you walked into a shop with 9 sealed copies of a game and wonder why they think it might be dodgy?

I had my order receipt made out to me with my name and address details on, confirmation of delivery to me, and I also showed them my driving licence, so there was no question about them not belonging to me. I could understand them thinking it was dodgy if I never had these items though.

Why have you got 9 of the same game?

@saddako to make money probably that's why they do it!

Banned

I'd have tried CeX Online if I had 9 games of the same because that obviously wouldn't pass as it's too many at once. The website allows to trade in 9 copies in maximum (I just checked).

Am I to assume you own 9 copies of a game due to getting more store credit for less? I suppose so.

Original Poster

skidderbrown

i used to work for CEX. Unfortunately most is correct. if it's a … i used to work for CEX. Unfortunately most is correct. if it's a corporate store they have to do everything by the book. if it's a franchise you can bend the rules. Unfortunately in CEX there are many shoplifters/thieves trying to sell multiple copys of games and also the serial of the DS has to go onto the database. Has to come with an official charger also. What i would have done is take 10% off the total bulk buy and take them in.9not the DS though) You also have a receipt which helps.Hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. Some people have suggested that it looked dodgy what with me walking in with 9 sealed copies - however, I explained below, that I had my order receipt (from Amazon) and confirmation of delivery all in my name and to my address, along with my driving licence, so after showing them this, I don't actually think that they thought that I was a shoplifter. I think that I will just post them off to CEX and hope they don't knock too much money off of the voucher value. As regards the DS Lite and official charger, I'll put them up for sale on eBay. It might take a few weeks or so to sort out, but hopefully, with the vouchers and sale of the DS, etc, I'll have enough cash and a voucher to purchase a 3DS XL for my son.

I've traded multiples in, at multiple stores, without much of an issue.

I was buying the EE Black Friday Alcatel phones with £20 credit. Kept the credit to use for PSN, sold the phones back to them for £21 each.

My first transaction was 4 phones, they knocked 20% off the cash price as it was classed as 'bulk'. However I subsequently did 3 more transactions of 3 phones each, all in different stores, and these were fine - not classed as bulk, got the full cash price in each store. Nothing flagged up to say I'd done more in other locations.

Not sure if that helps you at all though!

So did you buy 9 copies of a game on amazon hoping to flog them to CEX for more money?

If so, you'll need to be a bit smart and spread them around a bit. This really shouldn't need explaining though, everything already said is written clearly on the CEX website unfortunately.

Can you return some to amazon, sell privately, trade to Game, CEX or other local stores?

Edited by: "EstorilBlue" 22nd Dec 2016

Forgive me if I'm wrong but sounds like karma tbh

Sophiasky

Thank you for your advice. Some people have suggested that it looked … Thank you for your advice. Some people have suggested that it looked dodgy what with me walking in with 9 sealed copies - however, I explained below, that I had my order receipt (from Amazon) and confirmation of delivery all in my name and to my address, along with my driving licence, so after showing them this, I don't actually think that they thought that I was a shoplifter. I think that I will just post them off to CEX and hope they don't knock too much money off of the voucher value. As regards the DS Lite and official charger, I'll put them up for sale on eBay. It might take a few weeks or so to sort out, but hopefully, with the vouchers and sale of the DS, etc, I'll have enough cash and a voucher to purchase a 3DS XL for my son.

Why didn't you just buy your son a 3DS XL in the first place with the money you've wasted trying to profit from these 9 games?

Haha, unlucky

carley_lawson

Why didn't you just buy your son a 3DS XL in the first place with the … Why didn't you just buy your son a 3DS XL in the first place with the money you've wasted trying to profit from these 9 games?

Greed.

Take a punt and go back in today they can only say no

So none of you on here have ever brought something to make a profit? How do you know they don't have a job just because they were trying to save, if I could have a way to save some money then I would look after the penny's an they look after the pounds stop being so judgemental.

Have you tried selling on here or as somelse said gumtree or shpock are good. Hope you get your little boy his ds for Christmas.

Should have gone to game and stood in the queue a few times.

Out of interest what game was it?

sexyshelk135

So none of you on here have ever brought something to make a profit? How … So none of you on here have ever brought something to make a profit? How do you know they don't have a job just because they were trying to save, if I could have a way to save some money then I would look after the penny's an they look after the pounds stop being so judgemental. Have you tried selling on here or as somelse said gumtree or shpock are good. Hope you get your little boy his ds for Christmas.

Well said.

Westwoodo

Should have gone to game and stood in the queue a few times.Out of … Should have gone to game and stood in the queue a few times.Out of interest what game was it?

I imagine a few people are wondering that

I think you were just unlucky as I've opened 8 games at the desk in cex and had the Tesco direct delivery note and they took them no hassle and just told me they take up to 9 copies.

What they said is true, but you could have done one game. They usually knock off 10% after the first game. And it could be more depends if your trade to them alot.

foxy4777

Forgive me if I'm wrong but sounds like karma tbh

Whats wrong with that. Ive got a good job making good money and i regularly buy things cheap online and from gumtree with the sole purpose being to sell it on at a profit. Ive made a fortune over the years whats the issue

123batman321

Whats wrong with that. Ive got a good job making good money and i … Whats wrong with that. Ive got a good job making good money and i regularly buy things cheap online and from gumtree with the sole purpose being to sell it on at a profit. Ive made a fortune over the years whats the issue

I agree, what's wrong with that? Clearly some people have a different mindset.

At the end of day almost everything is this world is made or bought and resold for more to consumers, yet when the average Joe tries to buy something and make a profit it is suddenly becomes morally wrong....?

Some people even make a living out of buying and selling items. It's work at the end of the day. They're not forcing anyone to buy the item they sell and often take risks that they may end up losing money or being stuck with said items.

Edited by: "joshp" 22nd Dec 2016

Also depends on how many copies of the game they have, if I was cex I wouldn't be buying bulk copies off anyone and about the DS yes they need the white sticker before they buy.

For me those 9 copies you bought at the bargain price means that's 8 other people that couldn't get a copy due to your greed. Granted you should always look out for yourself but I can't have sympathy for you because cex aren't giving you as much profit as you'd hoped for. Stop moaning about it online to strangers and sell it in private

123batman321

Whats wrong with that. Ive got a good job making good money and i … Whats wrong with that. Ive got a good job making good money and i regularly buy things cheap online and from gumtree with the sole purpose being to sell it on at a profit. Ive made a fortune over the years whats the issue

Bet you haven't told the taxman!

santino1581

For me those 9 copies you bought at the bargain price means that's 8 … For me those 9 copies you bought at the bargain price means that's 8 other people that couldn't get a copy due to your greed. Granted you should always look out for yourself but I can't have sympathy for you because cex aren't giving you as much profit as you'd hoped for. Stop moaning about it online to strangers and sell it in private

​gotta agree with this guy, your plan didnt pan out so find an alternative.

carley_lawson

Bet you haven't told the taxman!

Who says im not the taxman lol

Original Poster

adamspencer95

gotta agree with this guy, your plan didnt pan out so find an alternative.

These games were actually bought for presents for some page boys and bridesmaids for a Christmas wedding and it is no longer happening due to a tragic bereavement. You've just jumped the gun and assumed that I bought them out of sheer greed - I didn't think I had to divulge to all the reason why I had 9 games when I first made the post asking for advice. I was going to see about returning them, but it was my older son who suggested selling them on to CEX as, yes, the voucher price was more than what I paid for the game, so I didn't see any harm in trying that (and using the voucher to purchase another item from CEX - I've never sold to or bought anything from this store before either). I didn't buy up all of the remaining copies - I've just looked and it is still available to purchase at the price that I paid. I'm not going to divulge what game it is, but I will give you a clue - most probably geared at the younger generation (7-21) - Happy Hunting!

Well if that's true, I'm sorry to hear, but I've been online long enough to not take everything at face value.

Seems a strange scenario, buying boys and girls all 1 computer game. Either way, I don't understand the vagueness of some answers. Not that I care, but if you come online looking for sympathy and answers, as to why you haven't got all the money you wanted for buying 9 games (regardless of why you bought them) you've probably come to the wrong place, as usually it's frowned upon 1 person buying bulk, as it stops others from having a bargain aswell.

But each to their own.
Edited by: "saddako" 23rd Dec 2016

well, if there's a "cex will give you x in trade so basically free money" fail of the year trophy. Winner.
Edited by: "otterboxer" 23rd Dec 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
    2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
    3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
    4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions