Expired

Challenge council Tax Band Free Online Have backdated Refund if successful potentially Thousands

Found 2nd Jan
Simple process just had mine adjusted band down.

Steps
Click appeal.band a few paragraphs down page
Enter postcode.
Click on your property
Chose qualification criteria
Follow prompts to make a challenge
Remember to use a space in postcode

I did on basis of a neighbour's property being in C and me in D. I paid less for my house than them and they have more ground floor space

Find examples of.comparible.properties in lower band that you to evidence

Free to try appparantly thousands of people in incorrect band as in 1991 was an admin nightmare when began and many mistakes made

gov.uk/cou…als

Good luck everybody

Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

This COULD be like getting a tax check......you might find they think your band should go up!

bharak3 m ago

Just dont pay as its illegal. Its not law to allow the council to rob you …Just dont pay as its illegal. Its not law to allow the council to rob you for services not required. Awt to be pay as you go. Just refuse to pay...many have for years.

Your talking freeman of the land nonsense. YOU will lose your home by following your advice.

Lots of informed experts above. The ones saying it could also go up are correct though. It could also mean your whole street's council tax went up not just yours, which may possibly not make you popular.
49 Comments

I tried with my local council and failed though they were a bunch of ****holes!!
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 2nd Jan

This COULD be like getting a tax check......you might find they think your band should go up!

Original Poster

jona772 m ago

I tried with my local council and failed though they were a bunch of …I tried with my local council and failed though they were a bunch of a***holes!!

Sorry to hear. Did you supply evidence of properties in lower bands similar to yours ?

Just dont pay as its illegal. Its not law to allow the council to rob you for services not required. Awt to be pay as you go. Just refuse to pay...many have for years.

I would be wary as it can go up too....I was promised (in writing) by my local authority that my band would not change when I made some improvements and extended.
I have been hit with a whopping increase and both the valuation office and local council have deemed that due to "others" being charged the law has now changed and I have to pay

Keep your house looking scruffy & everyone including yourselves will be placed in a lower council tax band. It's why councils try to make everyone improve the look of where they live....Once they do they increase the band...You can live in luxury & your house & garden look rubbish & that's how they band your home.

Cold - doesn't recognise my postcode

Also if your property has been modified for a disabled person.
A ramp for access, wet room, low entry shower.
Have just done this for a friend in december.
Filled out a change of circumstances form on her councils website.
They sent a man round to check on modifications.
He said no probs will get the banding lowered fom B to A.
Very easy.

wendyak2 m ago

I would be wary as it can go up too....I was promised (in writing) by my …I would be wary as it can go up too....I was promised (in writing) by my local authority that my band would not change when I made some improvements and extended.I have been hit with a whopping increase and both the valuation office and local council have deemed that due to "others" being charged the law has now changed and I have to pay

Yep.....That's how it works. It's what they DONT like people to know.

Original Poster

wendyak2 m ago

I would be wary as it can go up too....I was promised (in writing) by my …I would be wary as it can go up too....I was promised (in writing) by my local authority that my band would not change when I made some improvements and extended.I have been hit with a whopping increase and both the valuation office and local council have deemed that due to "others" being charged the law has now changed and I have to pay

I was under impression the band is only looked at when sell after renovations. Might be worth a Google

Original Poster

Stevie.Badman2 m ago

Cold - doesn't recognise my postcode

Put a space in

bharak3 m ago

Just dont pay as its illegal. Its not law to allow the council to rob you …Just dont pay as its illegal. Its not law to allow the council to rob you for services not required. Awt to be pay as you go. Just refuse to pay...many have for years.

Your talking freeman of the land nonsense. YOU will lose your home by following your advice.

When they came and reassesed, my extension took me up a band and they backdated that to when it was added.
Had to pay thousands extra.
Gutted.

Lots of informed experts above. The ones saying it could also go up are correct though. It could also mean your whole street's council tax went up not just yours, which may possibly not make you popular.

Like it...thanks

wendyak6 m ago

Also I've heard cases where the applicants band has remained the same but the houses they compared against all went up . There was a case in Hull where 17 of the applicant's neighbours properties were upbanded to match his ! Not a good way to get on with the neighbours methinks

bharak49 m ago

Yeh it's great not paying and getting a CCJ, and I'm speaking from experience after that Tory Bi*ch introduced the poll tax.
Edited by: "paulandpam1" 2nd Jan

This is not a deal! Done this 10 years ago. But be careful if you complain and the council think you should be in a higher band it will mve you. Happened in carlisle someone complained everyone is lower. They looked at it and agreed. Put all neighbours up a band! Didn't back charge though lol.

FlahertyDeals13 m ago

Sorry to hear. Did you supply evidence of properties in lower bands …Sorry to hear. Did you supply evidence of properties in lower bands similar to yours ?

yeah I did but the council didn’t budge. Personally I think most of the properties around me are in the incorrect Bandung as it’s only a small bungalow.
Edited by: "jona77" 2nd Jan

paulandpam14 m ago

Yeh it's great not paying and getting a CCJ, and I'm speaking from …Yeh it's great not paying and getting a CCJ, and I'm speaking from experience after that bitch introduced the poll tax.

Sadly it seems every person who claims to be freeman on the land owns absolutely nothing of value & have never owned any property.

Hi, can anyone help me or advise? I live in an apartment. We are currently paying band D. I have just checked, most neighbours are band B. Is band B lower or higher and how are the apartments assessed?

If it ain't broke dont fix it, Leave well alone as another op said it could go up.

i appealed mine last year and it got approved, it move from band E to band D.
but i thought you could only appeal within the first 6 months of buying the property?
it is a risk though and i thought whether to do it for 5 months and 3 weeks before i thought sod it, luckily it worked out

They downgraded our entire street a few years ago. We went down from d to c and got a nice cheque. Can go the other way though.

As long as you do this correctly, with lots of research and have a cast iron case you should be successful. I did this a few years back as my house was band B when all but one other house (which was much improved at the time of valuation) was band A. You will always get rejected at the first hurdle, this seems to be standard procedure for councils, but you must persevere if you are confident and it will happen. I eventually won and got back over £1000 in over paid tax. Always do your research, gather evidence (I went as far as finding property pages in my local archive from the valuation period to prove my house should have been in the lower bracket) and look on the internet for advice before deciding - if its not clear cut and may affect your neighbours then its probably best left as it is.

Scrap it.

Original Poster

Asia_Begum1 h, 4 m ago

Hi, can anyone help me or advise? I live in an apartment. We are currently …Hi, can anyone help me or advise? I live in an apartment. We are currently paying band D. I have just checked, most neighbours are band B. Is band B lower or higher and how are the apartments assessed?

Band d is generally 4 bed house

Would just like to add to this especially where they there have said it increased.

Few years ago we lived on new estate (built early 2000s). We decided to apply for council band reduction as next doors were band lower yet had 2 extra rooms due to garage conversion. We were paying almost 2k a year and they were nearly 400 less than us.
It backfired somewhat, as 95% were 4 bed detached they reassessed them all and all who had converted their integral garage into new rooms went up to band D. As it was such small private estate everyone knew each other, it didn't take long before people knew there extra tax bills were because of us. Moved few months later.

House we have now is one of 4 identical houses built 100 years ago completely different to every house on street, we are 1 band higher in C than most but because of modifications throughout years I can guarantee it would increase band for all 4 of the houses. Thing is we really like all our neighbours so will carry on paying £1500 a year

FlahertyDeals37 m ago

Not always though, our 4 bed Victorian terrace near Northampton was band B. Our new one is in reality a 5 bed and only band C.

When scouring property for sale a few crappy cheap terraces that had 4 bedrooms albeit 1 was tiny were band A, given they were only market for £70k was no surprise.

Area makes a huge difference aswell banding

FlahertyDeals1 h, 29 m ago

Mine is G (and no I don’t live in a mansion!!)

what if they raise you band then you have to back pay

As someone who works in Council Tax, don't bother. The risk of going up a band is too great in most cases. And once decision is made that you're going up, there ain't room to maneuver.

And as for the prats saying don't pay, that eventually leads to a charging order on your property if owned or a potential 90 day sentence if you don't. Yes, non payment can lead to committal.
Edited by: "Drooler" 2nd Jan

Lots of people talking about appealing to the council/council turning down appeals etc - to be clear, it's the VO who decide banding issues...the council simply apply the charge as directed.

I'm not sure if the method outlined is new, but when I sucessfully challenged my banding, it could only be done at certain times, and one of those times was within 6 months of purchasing the property. I knew there was a problem when I was purchasing it, and so challenged it as soon as I moved in. The previous owner had been paying the higher amount for 20 years or so !

I'd love to know what percentage of incorrectly banded properties were under-banded.

deeky2 h, 16 m ago

I'd love to know what percentage of incorrectly banded properties were …I'd love to know what percentage of incorrectly banded properties were under-banded.

You could put in a Freedom of Information request to the VOA. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been done before, but I can't find anything on Whatdotheyknow.

FlahertyDeals8 h, 47 m ago

Not really. All that you can say with certainty is that a band D property should have been worth £68-£88k in 1991.

cmdr_elito7 h, 34 m ago

Mine is G (and no I don’t live in a mansion!!)

Mines GG and I only live in a stable.

From my point of view it is definitely worth looking into. However do your homework first as it appears there maybe different rules depending on where you live. In our area the banding was based on the original deed footprint and I'm sure some other criteria..
Our neighbour was contacted by a company who appealed it on their behalf and won. They then told us and we did it directly. Initially they declined us as they said our house was bigger based on deed information. We appealed this as both are the same size and won. We were refunded approximately £5500 based on 17 years of overpayment.
Edited by: "hubcms" 3rd Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions