Expired

Chances of getting an Amex Gold Charge Card?

Found 18th Nov 2014
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in getting accepted for the Amex Gold charge card.

I'm only 22 so don't have much of a credit history but have a full time job and a pretty good income - more than the minimum £20,000 income requirement.

I do have a Halifax credit card which I got about 4 months ago and have always paid it off in full and on time.

Since the Amex is charge card, it must be paid off in full every month so I would have thought it would be easy enough to get.

I have however just checked the pre eligibility checker on MSE and it says I have a 0% chance of getting it. Doesn't make much sense as I easily meet all the minimum requirements.

What are my chances of being accepted for this?

66 Comments

Banned

Somewhere between zero and none.

Original Poster

toshapetriji

Somewhere between zero and none.

Why though? Their minimum requirement is only £20,000 HOUSEHOLD income. My personal income is easily more than that so surely it should be possible.

Banned

cron7

Why though? Their minimum requirement is only £20,000 HOUSEHOLD income. … Why though? Their minimum requirement is only £20,000 HOUSEHOLD income. My personal income is easily more than that so surely it should be possible.

Because Amex is a charge card.

Why do you want one anyway? You have a Halifax card.

Banned

get amex platinium cashback card

I think Amex cards tend to be (the higher end ones) for the 'elite' basically if you want to out a 50k item on it, you can with no questions, and that is the type of person they are looking for really...

don't take it personally, as it is a charge card they want 100% confidence they are going to get their cash

Original Poster

toshapetriji

Because Amex is a charge card.Why do you want one anyway? You have a … Because Amex is a charge card.Why do you want one anyway? You have a Halifax card.

A charge card is normally easier as it has to be paid off in full every month. I've researched online and everywhere I've checked says the Amex charge card is easier to get than an Amex credit card

The Halifax one is good for foreign transactions as there is no fee. Amex is of course miles better for collecting air miles and so on which is what I'll be doing.

Another vote here for the Amex Platinum Cashback Card.

No issues with mine and I've got about £150 in cashback over the past 3 months.

Banned

cron7

A charge card is normally easier as it has to be paid off in full every … A charge card is normally easier as it has to be paid off in full every month. I've researched online and everywhere I've checked says the Amex charge card is easier to get than an Amex credit cardThe Halifax one is good for foreign transactions as there is no fee. Amex is of course miles better for collecting air miles and so on which is what I'll be doing.

you're making out like you're some millionaire or something

reality: you're earning £20,000 a year

wake up matey

Original Poster

hukdealz

you're making out like you're some millionaire or somethingreality: … you're making out like you're some millionaire or somethingreality: you're earning £20,000 a yearwake up matey

Firstly, I never said that and secondly I said more than £20,000. How do you know how much more? I work full time for a big company and run a part time business so earn a decent living.

Also, I get reimbursed by my company for paying for business flights and so on. Lastly, there is a thing called manufacturing spend.

Original Poster

Aeschylus

I think Amex cards tend to be (the higher end ones) for the 'elite' … I think Amex cards tend to be (the higher end ones) for the 'elite' basically if you want to out a 50k item on it, you can with no questions, and that is the type of person they are looking for really...don't take it personally, as it is a charge card they want 100% confidence they are going to get their cash

Yeah I see your point, although I would think they have some sort of limit on there.

Ah well, might as well build up the credit history for a while.

Original Poster

teh arn

Another vote here for the Amex Platinum Cashback Card.No issues with mine … Another vote here for the Amex Platinum Cashback Card.No issues with mine and I've got about £150 in cashback over the past 3 months.

Yeah my dad has this one and although it's good (especially for the £100 bonus), you can't be part of the membership rewards scheme which is what I wanted it for.

I do love the extra offers they put on quite often.

I'm 22 and have one, but have used credit cards (properly) since I was 18, and have a decent salary. Have a look at noddle for an indication on a rating....

Just get a gold chain & be done with it.

Don't OG though.

Banned

teh arn

Another vote here for the Amex Platinum Cashback Card.No issues with mine … Another vote here for the Amex Platinum Cashback Card.No issues with mine and I've got about £150 in cashback over the past 3 months.

blimey, how much are you spending on it?!

I'm turning 18 in a few months time and hoping my dad will get me one (joint credit card) to stop him having to give me his card every time he wants me to do the shopping!

Original Poster

missleading

Go for the black card. It's invite only, but if your dad has one you can … Go for the black card. It's invite only, but if your dad has one you can have one too.

Thanks, will look into this one as it's the first time I've heard of the black one.

Just build up your credit history like someone above said. Pay off all your debts on time - never miss a payment.

It's always good to have cash in your bank account as well.

In the end, they'll be begging you to take their cards (happened to me - I had too many cards, so cancelled most of them.)
Edited by: "feifei" 18th Nov 2014

cron7

Firstly, I never said that and secondly I said more than £20,000. How do … Firstly, I never said that and secondly I said more than £20,000. How do you know how much more? I work full time for a big company and run a part time business so earn a decent living.Also, I get reimbursed by my company for paying for business flights and so on. Lastly, there is a thing called manufacturing spend.

Cant be much more or you would of said more than £25,000 or more than £30,000 etc..

haritori

Cant be much more or you would of said more than £25,000 or more than … Cant be much more or you would of said more than £25,000 or more than £30,000 etc..

He said more than £20k because that was the minimum needed for the account.

If he'd have said 'More than £35k' etc you'd just complain anyway.

Original Poster

feifei

Just build up your credit history like someone above said. Pay off all … Just build up your credit history like someone above said. Pay off all your debts on time - never miss a payment.It's always good to have cash in your bank account as well.In the end, they'll be begging you to take their cards (happened to me - I had too many cards, so cancelled most of them.)

Yep, that's probably the best way to go about doing it.

Thanks

haritori

Cant be much more or you would of said more than £25,000 or more than … Cant be much more or you would of said more than £25,000 or more than £30,000 etc..

Numpty

Original Poster

haritori

Or, maybe I wanted to compare it to the minimum requirement? Please think properly before answering. Why would I feel the need to tell everyone how much I earn?

cron7

Or, maybe I wanted to compare it to the minimum requirement? Please think … Or, maybe I wanted to compare it to the minimum requirement? Please think properly before answering. Why would I feel the need to tell everyone how much I earn?

the same reason you want to tell everyone about you desire to get a AMEX card.

Original Poster

haritori

the same reason you want to tell everyone about you desire to get a AMEX … the same reason you want to tell everyone about you desire to get a AMEX card.

Wow, the dumbest comeback I've ever heard.

What's the big deal about an Amex gold card anyway? The fee is free for the first year and as long as you have decent credit rating and over £20K annual income, you can get one. If that's a big deal in your eyes, I genuinely feel sorry for you. Would anyone really gloat about that?

The reason I posted on here (because clearly you can't read properly) was because I don't have must credit history and wanted to get everyone's opinion on how hard it is to get a charge card since you will have to pay it off in full every month. I would have thought that if you meet the minimum requirements by a decent margin, you would have been able to get one.

You wont know until you try, why do you want it so bad is the question?

Original Poster

deanyouk

You wont know until you try, why do you want it so bad is the question?

I wouldn't want to hurt my credit rating by applying and then getting rejected.

I don't want it that badly but it brings a lot of benefits you wouldn't get with a normal Mastercard. It's fee free in the first year as well.

Because my work involves a lot of travelling, I get reimbursed for my flights so having an Amex can get you a lot of airmiles and you also get lounge passes. That's the main reason I want one as a Mastercard doesn't really bring any benefits.

cron7

Thanks, will look into this one as it's the first time I've heard of the … Thanks, will look into this one as it's the first time I've heard of the black one.

You have no chance of getting a black card.

Original Poster

Peegy

Yep, after doing a bit of research, definitely not.

Banned

cron7

Wow, the dumbest comeback I've ever heard.What's the big deal about an … Wow, the dumbest comeback I've ever heard.What's the big deal about an Amex gold card anyway? The fee is free for the first year and as long as you have decent credit rating and over £20K annual income, you can get one. If that's a big deal in your eyes, I genuinely feel sorry for you. Would anyone really gloat about that?The reason I posted on here (because clearly you can't read properly) was because I don't have must credit history and wanted to get everyone's opinion on how hard it is to get a charge card since you will have to pay it off in full every month. I would have thought that if you meet the minimum requirements by a decent margin, you would have been able to get one.

Surely you have answered your own question

Wow, the dumbest comeback I've ever heard.

What's the big deal about an Amex gold card anyway? The fee is free for the first year and as long as you have decent credit rating and over £20K annual income, you can get one. If that's a big deal in your eyes, I genuinely feel sorry for you. Would anyone really gloat about that?

The reason I posted on here (because clearly you can't read properly) was because I don't have must credit history and wanted to get everyone's opinion on how hard it is to get a charge card since you will have to pay it off in full every month. I would have thought that if you meet the minimum requirements by a decent margin, you would have been able to get one

Peegy

I agree. Black cards are very difficult to obtain. I think the banks invite you to have one; you can't apply for it.

The best I could get was platinum cards, and the HSBC premier card.

Original Poster

bazzamone

Surely you have answered your own questionWow, the dumbest comeback I've … Surely you have answered your own questionWow, the dumbest comeback I've ever heard.What's the big deal about an Amex gold card anyway? The fee is free for the first year and as long as you have decent credit rating and over £20K annual income, you can get one. If that's a big deal in your eyes, I genuinely feel sorry for you. Would anyone really gloat about that?The reason I posted on here (because clearly you can't read properly) was because I don't have must credit history and wanted to get everyone's opinion on how hard it is to get a charge card since you will have to pay it off in full every month. I would have thought that if you meet the minimum requirements by a decent margin, you would have been able to get one

Yes, but that's the thing. I did some research online and a lot of people say it is easier to get an Amex charge card than an Amex credit card as there is no interest since it must be paid in full every month. I've only had a credit card for 4-5 months so wasn't sure if meeting the minimum requirements was enough.

The only reason I posted this here is because I thought there might be people with a gold Amex card who roughly knew how strict Amex are in applications. I still don't understand why some people have made such a big deal out of it.

Banned

cron7

Yes, but that's the thing. I did some research online and a lot of people … Yes, but that's the thing. I did some research online and a lot of people say it is easier to get an Amex charge card than an Amex credit card as there is no interest since it must be paid in full every month. I've only had a credit card for 4-5 months so wasn't sure if meeting the minimum requirements was enough.The only reason I posted this here is because I thought there might be people with a gold Amex card who roughly knew how strict Amex are in applications. I still don't understand why some people have made such a big deal out of it.

You got a Credit card from halifax not an amex credit card though.

Original Poster

feifei

I agree. Black cards are very difficult to obtain. I think the banks … I agree. Black cards are very difficult to obtain. I think the banks invite you to have one; you can't apply for it.The best I could get was platinum cards, and the HSBC premier card.

Yep, I've got a HSBC premier debit card but looking at the rewards don't see the point in getting a premier cc.

The platinum is obviously the best card available "to the public" but not sure if the £450 fee would be worth since apart from the initial bonus reward and lounge access, it doesn't bring too many extra benefits to justify the benefit especially in terms of earning membership points.

I read that the average person to be invited for a black card has an annual income of $1m+ so yeah incredibly difficult to get.

Original Poster

bazzamone

You got a Credit card from halifax not an amex credit card though.

Well if I already had a normal Amex one, I wouldn't have bothered with the gold. Even though it's from halifax, it would still add to the credit rating so was hoping this would be enough but clearly not.

Credit ratings are funny things. People don't like to apply for stuff in case they get rejected. But if your not applying for anything it doesn't matter if you did.

I have had one for a number of years and the benefits are great. If you can spend on it for work and expense it then it's a real winner q's you get the money you spend back and the cash back on top!

I would say apply for it. Sounds like it would be great for what you intend on using it for.

MrsWarren

Credit ratings are funny things. People don't like to apply for stuff in … Credit ratings are funny things. People don't like to apply for stuff in case they get rejected. But if your not applying for anything it doesn't matter if you did.I have had one for a number of years and the benefits are great. If you can spend on it for work and expense it then it's a real winner q's you get the money you spend back and the cash back on top!I would say apply for it. Sounds like it would be great for what you intend on using it for.

People don't like applying because of rejection because those applications are marked on your credit file, too many searches can have negative impact. but making one or two applications won't be a major issue. and the outcome isnt recorded either way.

Original Poster

MrsWarren

Credit ratings are funny things. People don't like to apply for stuff in … Credit ratings are funny things. People don't like to apply for stuff in case they get rejected. But if your not applying for anything it doesn't matter if you did.I have had one for a number of years and the benefits are great. If you can spend on it for work and expense it then it's a real winner q's you get the money you spend back and the cash back on top!I would say apply for it. Sounds like it would be great for what you intend on using it for.

Very good point, I suppose it's the idea of waiting for a while and getting accepted first time or getting rejected and having to wait for longer.

Finally, someone who actually has the card and knows that it's a steal especially for expensing work travel. With no fee in the first year, there's potential to make a decent amount of money on it.

I am tempted to apply for it but will probably look at my credit report first.

It's called a Centurion Card for AMEX not Black Card. It was a fabled card until 1000 UK Amex Platinum Card Holders were sent them in 1998. I don't know how many people in the UK have them now. As one of those original 1000, I can say the current £1000 per annum fee is no longer worth it, apart from massaging your ego.

cron7

Yep, I've got a HSBC premier debit card but looking at the rewards don't … Yep, I've got a HSBC premier debit card but looking at the rewards don't see the point in getting a premier cc.The platinum is obviously the best card available "to the public" but not sure if the £450 fee would be worth since apart from the initial bonus reward and lounge access, it doesn't bring too many extra benefits to justify the benefit especially in terms of earning membership points.I read that the average person to be invited for a black card has an annual income of $1m+ so yeah incredibly difficult to get.

I don't have to pay any fees on my cards.

I used to have an Amex card but at the time found that a lot of places didn't accept Amex.

If you apply and are refused then check your consumer credit bureau score from Experian as you may have a low score and not be aware of it.

If you do get a gold card be aware that they will pester you to get their gold credit card which is only available to gold charge card holders. The credit card doesn't have an annual fee and if you spend £500 in the first few months you get several thousand points which can be used for Virgin flying miles. Each £1 spent equals 1 membership point.

Personally, I wouldn't get an Amex again.

Edited by: "Mark2111" 18th Nov 2014

Original Poster

Mark2111

I used to have an Amex card but at the time found that a lot of places … I used to have an Amex card but at the time found that a lot of places didn't accept Amex.If you apply and are refused then check your consumer credit bureau score from Experian as you may have a low score and not be aware of it.If you do get a good card be aware that they will pester you to get their gold credit card which is only available to gold charge card holders. The credit card doesn't have an annual fee and if you spend £500 in the first few months you get several thousand points which can be used for Virgin flying miles. Each £1 spent equals 1 membership point.Personally, I wouldn't get an Amex again.

Really....I've noticed that a lot of places are now accepting Amex, certainly the big supermarkets and most online places anyway.

Yeah, will definitely look at my credit report to get a better idea, possibly before I even apply for the card. That gold cc actually sounds decent, especially with the bonus.

I think with the membership rewards points, there's a huge potential to get airmiles and hotel rewards, especially if you're booking plenty of flights and doing manufacturing spend. The guys over on Flyertalk are raking in hundreds of thousands of airmiles and starwood hotel points so can be amazing.

Add to that, the free airport lounge passes, excellent customer service and the offers they regularly run, it looks to be a pretty good card in my opinion, which is why I really want one.
Post a comment
@
    Text