Change money at bank?

Found 29th Sep 2017
Hi

I have about £800 in £20s and I need Fivers or Tenners or a mix.

Can I just walk in to any bank and get them exchanged or is there some other way to do it?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Usually at the bank teller, they would expect you to deposit that money into your account and allow you to withdraw straight away. At this point you can request the the denominations you require.

I believe this is to confirm this isn't a fraudulent money transaction/laundering exercise and for keeping a record of the transaction.
Edited by: "ChrisKaru" 29th Sep 2017
6 Comments
Usually at the bank teller, they would expect you to deposit that money into your account and allow you to withdraw straight away. At this point you can request the the denominations you require.

I believe this is to confirm this isn't a fraudulent money transaction/laundering exercise and for keeping a record of the transaction.
Edited by: "ChrisKaru" 29th Sep 2017
Last time I tried to do something like that I was asked to prove I banked there, which I didn't so they refused.
Pay them into your own bank and then withdraw in the denominations required.
Other banks won't do it, why would they?
you can do so at your own bank only
mutley18 h, 31 m ago

you can do so at your own bank only

Do I have to deposit it in first
WestMidlands13 h, 6 m ago

Do I have to deposit it in first

not when i have had to do so in the past. i have been to a big hsbc branch in the city in london once before and changed around £1,000 into £50 notes and they did not even asked if i was a customer. i was, but they did not ask if i were, they may have assumed that i was a customer, or that this was not a requirement.

without putting the money in first, you would be relying on the cashier's discretion. if you put the money in first, then you are entitled to withdraw the money again without discretion.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants