Change your coins for notes for free/Avoid Coinstar 8.9% fee

Found 25th Apr 2013
Problem: you save 50p coins (or whatever coinage you save) and you have a whisky jar full. You know your bank won't take them and you hate paying 8.9p in the pound to use those Coinstar machines in supermarkets.

Solution: Use the supermarkets own self-service machines instead: buy a small item (e.g. Freddo the Frog chocolate at 20p) dump your coins into the self service hopper plus 20p and out comes crispy notes and 0% fee.

I tried this tonight in Morrisons with £10 in 50p's and got a £10 note. I wouldn't recommend dumping a whole whisky bottle though. I'm planning to take 20 quid in change per visit (maybe best avoiding busy times).
Community Updates
33 Comments
Why won't banks take them? Mine do?
Banned
Well considering i chucked in about £100 worth of coppers in natwest the other week im pretty sure they would take 50p's
Whilst we're on the subject of self service machines, why oh why do a lot of people decide to pack their goods AFTER they've scanned them all?!...rant over
I tried it in Tesco, it spat out the 300 2p pieces I'd put in and I felt like a tit. Don't know of any banks that take them, someone told me the post office do but I've never looked into it, and to be honest they get angry enough when you want to send letter, the might attack you if you ask to change coins.
Original Poster
wonkey

Why won't banks take them? Mine do?

Answer: I don't know. Some don't or have a limit or it has to be bagged.
donmiguelito

Whilst we're on the subject of self service machines, why oh why do a lot … Whilst we're on the subject of self service machines, why oh why do a lot of people decide to pack their goods AFTER they've scanned them all?!...rant over

Because that requires thinking 1 step ahead and consideration for others, you're asking way too much of people.
Original Poster
D_G

Well considering i chucked in about £100 worth of coppers in natwest the … Well considering i chucked in about £100 worth of coppers in natwest the other week im pretty sure they would take 50p's

I think you have to bank with them; I don't think they will change your coins if you don't.
Original Poster
spaceinvader

I tried it in Tesco, it spat out the 300 2p pieces I'd put in and I felt … I tried it in Tesco, it spat out the 300 2p pieces I'd put in and I felt like a tit. Don't know of any banks that take them, someone told me the post office do but I've never looked into it, and to be honest they get angry enough when you want to send letter, the might attack you if you ask to change coins.

I've only tried this in Morrisons so far.
Edited by: "Kayne" 25th Apr 2013
Banned
Kayne

Answer: I don't know. Some don't or have a limit or it has to be bagged.

My natwest has a coin counting deposit machine free of charge and money goes straight into your account, helpful banking
Banned
Kayne

I think you have to bank with them; I don't think they will change your … I think you have to bank with them; I don't think they will change your coins if you don't.

You don't have a bank account with anyone?
Original Poster
D_G

You don't have a bank account with anyone?

No.
Banned
Kayne

No.

Weird.
Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar and proceed early in the morning on a weekend to superglue them to the pavement outside our house and then enjoy watching people try to pick the coins up.

It's something the whole family can enjoy and we've only ever had two people get annoyed and throw a brick through our living room window when they looked up and saw us laughing at them.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 25th Apr 2013
I do it with the vending machines at work...stuff it with copper, press coin return and out comes silver...magic!
Mark2111

Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar … Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar and proceed early in the morning on a weekend to superglue them to the pavement outside our house and then enjoy watching people try to pick them up. It's something the whole family can enjoy and we've only ever had two people get annoyed and throw a brick through our living room window when they looked up and saw us laughing at them.

you should also put those fake foam bricks nearby for them to reach for.
Mark2111

Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar … Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar and proceed early in the morning on a weekend to superglue them to the pavement outside our house and then enjoy watching people try to pick the coins up. It's something the whole family can enjoy and we've only ever had two people get annoyed and throw a brick through our living room window when they looked up and saw us laughing at them.

They would have been better using that brick to work the coins loose from the pavement.

Printed out a few fake £20s (one side only) on a laser printer and sat in the car park of Asda one evening with the kids. We put the £20s in a puddle and watched as people went through all manner of ways to nonchalantly pick up the wet paper. Packing away their shopping with big grins only to see them turn to dismay when inside their car they noticed they had been duped.
Edited by: "davelfc" 25th Apr 2013
I deposited over £1000 in coins in my bank in November. ..
RossD89

You must have one great big **** off piggy bank!
Mark2111

You must have one great big **** off piggy bank!

I hollowed out the other half.
Some banks require you to bank with them to take large amounts of coins. But it's not unreasonable for them to ask you to bag them first.
Kayne

No.

I find that really hard to believe, that you don't have a bank account. How do you get any income then?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this info Kayne, might be useful sometime in the future if I have too many coins.
RossD89

I hollowed out the other half.

checking for any updates this morning i just got this comment lol.
'other half of what?' i was thinking doh.
spaceinvader

I tried it in Tesco, it spat out the 300 2p pieces I'd put in and I felt … I tried it in Tesco, it spat out the 300 2p pieces I'd put in and I felt like a tit. .

LOL
haha this is actually quite a good idea, for someone who has had to to count and sort masses of change for a school I can tell you its a pain in the butt and the banks don't want mixed coins or mixed amounts.

Why banks don't have a sorting/counting machine for customers to use I will never know. It would cut down on so much work because after people from shops etc have counted all the change the bank staff have to re-count it when you pay it in. If a machine did it and gave a receipt neither the customer or the bank staff would have to count it!
Banned
daturastorm

haha this is actually quite a good idea, for someone who has had to to … haha this is actually quite a good idea, for someone who has had to to count and sort masses of change for a school I can tell you its a pain in the butt and the banks don't want mixed coins or mixed amounts. Why banks don't have a sorting/counting machine for customers to use I will never know. It would cut down on so much work because after people from shops etc have counted all the change the bank staff have to re-count it when you pay it in. If a machine did it and gave a receipt neither the customer or the bank staff would have to count it!

Natwest do have counting machines.
Original Poster
D_G

Natwest do have counting machines.

Which is great if you are a NattyWest customer.
Banned
Kayne

Which is great if you are a NattyWest customer.

Yeah, i get you have to be a customer, my point being is people are saying banks don't have them, i am simply saying NatWest do.
Original Poster
RossD89

I think you are probably going through the change.
Original Poster
D_G

Yeah, i get you have to be a customer, my point being is people are … Yeah, i get you have to be a customer, my point being is people are saying banks don't have them, i am simply saying NatWest do.

I'll make a note of that.
Original Poster
deleted57959

open your kids an account and use that to deposit they wont refuse kids … open your kids an account and use that to deposit they wont refuse kids depositing coins, really they shouldn't refuse anyone depositing money at all, but some banks are funny. i know the Halifax is.

That's worth a punt.
Kayne

I think you are probably going through the change.

Mark2111

Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar … Every so often I help myself to a handful of loose change from our jar and proceed early in the morning on a weekend to superglue them to the pavement outside our house and then enjoy watching people try to pick the coins up. It's something the whole family can enjoy and we've only ever had two people get annoyed and throw a brick through our living room window when they looked up and saw us laughing at them.

ha ha, 'Viz' style tip, LOL
Some banks limit the number of bags you bring in to stop businesses getting around business charges. I took 5 bags into mine last week with no issue.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants