Changes to Tesco Direct Click & Collect

Found 6th Jan 2016
I have just received the following email:

From early February 2016, we will be introducing a £2 delivery charge for Click+Collect orders under £30 at Tesco direct. This will help ensure we can continue to offer you the convenience of picking up your order from your chosen store at a time that suits you.
As a Delivery Saver customer, however, you will not be affected by these changes and will still be able to choose Click+Collect delivery for orders under £30 as part of your plan with no additional charge. Tesco Partners will continue to be excluded from Delivery Saver.
All customers will continue to enjoy free Click+Collect delivery for orders over £30 on Tesco direct. And there’s no change to home delivery options.
We will be in touch again with more information before these changes come into effect.
Thank you for shopping with Tesco.

Your Delivery Saver Team

I don't know if non delivery saver customers have been emailed yet, but I thought this would be worth knowing.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
34 Comments

Looks like they'll be losing a lot of customers then.

tescos slowly turning into sports direct

They used to charge you to deliver to a store when they first started it up.

Was 10p rubber free del to store
Now £29,99 & you pay £2
Sublime to reeee dikki dooodulus!!!!

Like John Lewis.......

unfortunately this will become the norm for many large c&c retailers.

Are they serious, they can't deliver as it is without some sort of delay or problem, I am not paying £2.00 for the privilege of bad service,

ssc1

Not with Argos though, seems like they may get a lot more business.

Argos and Screwfix on the other hand have the right model, working efficiently!

haritori

Are they serious, they can't deliver as it is without some sort of delay … Are they serious, they can't deliver as it is without some sort of delay or problem, I am not paying £2.00 for the privilege of bad service,

Never had a problem with Tesco, had loads of orders all next day, never had to queue at the desk. Now Asda on the other hand, worst click and collect system EVAR! My local, you go to a stupid unmanned booth, type your code in, then wait 30mins watching other people shop. Great business model, get your customers to stand in the corner - NOT buying things.

splatsplatsplat

Never had a problem with Tesco, had loads of orders all next day, never … Never had a problem with Tesco, had loads of orders all next day, never had to queue at the desk. Now Asda on the other hand, worst click and collect system EVAR! My local, you go to a stupid unmanned booth, type your code in, then wait 30mins watching other people shop. Great business model, get your customers to stand in the corner - NOT buying things.

I suspect its my local tesco that is the issue, being quite rural, but 90% of my orders get delayed or sent back.. so many complaints.

splatsplatsplat

Never had a problem with Tesco, had loads of orders all next day, never … Never had a problem with Tesco, had loads of orders all next day, never had to queue at the desk. Now Asda on the other hand, worst click and collect system EVAR! My local, you go to a stupid unmanned booth, type your code in, then wait 30mins watching other people shop. Great business model, get your customers to stand in the corner - NOT buying things.

Agree with you on this splat. Also I had to return something and I was nervous as you put the item in a big box by opening the flap and placing item inside but anybody could just open the flap and take something out and then you can't prove that you've returned it, weird

im thinking maybe they have on one hand a food business and the other a online random order collection where a lot of ground is covered up by going out back whereas they should be on shop floor doing customer service at the point of contact. same applied to JL. maybe to M&S soon too.

davewave

Argos and Screwfix on the other hand have the right model, working … Argos and Screwfix on the other hand have the right model, working efficiently!

Right for who though? I have lost track of the amount of times I have ordered something into store and forgotten to pick it up. Must cost them plenty.

Still i'm unsure why stores charge for something they have in stock. There should be a difference between reserving items and ordering stuff in.

Can anyone not on prime tell me how much it is to collect from store with amazon. and if it is less with bigger order?

kicks in on Feb 2nd

splatsplatsplat

I take it you didn't order anything over black friday/xmas then. They couldn't keep track of stock at all, all over the country.

g8spur

Right for who though? I have lost track of the amount of times I have … Right for who though? I have lost track of the amount of times I have ordered something into store and forgotten to pick it up. Must cost them plenty.Still i'm unsure why stores charge for something they have in stock. There should be a difference between reserving items and ordering stuff in.

I guess that's why they have brought in fast track collection. I don't mind paying first, never forget to pick things up and I can get cashback on it, unlike normal collect.

teh arn

They used to charge you to deliver to a store when they first started it … They used to charge you to deliver to a store when they first started it up.

Yeah, I only just got my head round it being free

Not a clever move, take Now TV boxes £20 from Argos, Currys or would you buy from Tesco for £20+£2

With the recent changes I think Argos are probably the most forward thinking when it comes to e-commerce and seem to be trying to compete with Amazon's delivery

fizz

Not a clever move, take Now TV boxes £20 from Argos, Currys or would you … Not a clever move, take Now TV boxes £20 from Argos, Currys or would you buy from Tesco for £20+£2With the recent changes I think Argos are probably the most forward thinking when it comes to e-commerce and seem to be trying to compete with Amazon's delivery

Argos have turned things around so much over the last couple of years it is unreal. They were basically on their last legs a few years ago. I think they brought in a new CEO who made drastic changes and it seems to be working big time.

People are just going to buy things they don't want or need to bump up the order price then return the unwanted items for free instore. This will end up costing them more in the long run. They'll then resort to deducting a 'processing & handling fee' from refunds.
Edited by: "Niecey" 7th Jan 2016

Tesco have just lost us as customers, will be using other retailers from now on.

ssc1

The consumer is free to choose where to shop, the customer is in control, not the retailer. All these silly retailers need to understand that the consumer is in charge, the customer calls the shots, not the retailer.

Why would any consumer want to shop at a store that will charge you extra to buy and collect a product.

Many times I have visited Tesco, e.g home or clothing, only to be told they are out of stock, either certain colour, or certain size. You always get told by staff members, you can order online and get it delivered to store (its FREE). (_;)

This will now mean, Tesco are charging the customer to buy their products. If your local store doesn't carry said product, or are out of stock, you will now be charged. oO

Solution!
All Tesco stores, and other retailers that charge for 'Click & Collect' should carry high stock levels at all times, e.g all size's, all colour range, then the click & collect service would no longer be needed.

You will find prices and offers are cheaper instore anyway, click & collect online prices do not get adjusted.

Edited by: "Da11as" 8th Jan 2016

Niecey

People are just going to buy things they don't want or need to bump up … People are just going to buy things they don't want or need to bump up the order price then return the unwanted items for free instore. This will end up costing them more in the long run. They'll then resort to deducting a 'processing & handling fee' from refunds.

People return items all the time, either unwanted, doesn't fit, damaged or faulty.

Can you imagine returning an item of clothing because it doesn't fit, and you get charge a processing fee. X)

What about when item is damaged or faulty, and you get charged. This would be against your statutory rights, customers would then be damaging the item on purpose to return it.

Retailers that charge the consumer to collect an item from a store, deserve to go out of business. Collecting an item from a retail store, really should be the same as visiting the store and picking the item off the shelf. The customer has already paid their own way to travel to the store, why should they pay again to collect a product? If the store had the product instore on the shelf in the first place, there would be no need to order into store.

Just imagine if and when Argos charge for click & collect. oO At the moment you can walk in off the high street to any Argos store and buy a product, or you can click & collect online, what is the difference?

The difference is, Argos carry the stock instore in the first place. If they are out of stock, then you cant click & collect, not untill the store orders more stock.

No one gets charged, everyone knows where they stand.

Edited by: "Da11as" 8th Jan 2016

Well bang goes buying lower priced items from them. It be easier to pay online at Argos fast track and pick up,wider choice of goods at Argos instore than Tesco Extra instore so now they wanting £2 for orders collected instore under £30 value, I won't be bothering.

Mum2ConnornCerys

Well bang goes buying lower priced items from them. It be easier to pay … Well bang goes buying lower priced items from them. It be easier to pay online at Argos fast track and pick up,wider choice of goods at Argos instore than Tesco Extra instore so now they wanting £2 for orders collected instore under £30 value, I won't be bothering.

Exactly, Tesco are pricing themselves out of the market.

The consumer will no longer be able to buy low priced items, customers will be forced to look & buy elsewhere.

Banned

disgrace.

hope Asda don't so same with clothing, and same goes with matalan and rest.

I buy bargain stuff and use my points and some times stuff goes dirt cheap

was going to post a good deal from John Lewis last night but saw they charged £2 for click and collect.
Adding the extra cost, it was no bargain :(. I guess they intend to make quite a large % redundant in the coming months and so require staff on shops instead of collecting orders. Crazy decision but I guess they
must have crunched the numbers and decided this will save them money in the long term.

That's Tesco off the shopping list!

haritori

Not with Argos though, seems like they may get a lot more business.

Argos C&C is not really transfer from warehouse. It is only reserving items a particular branch has in stock. For some items, you can ask the store to order for collection which they will transfer from warehouse with other items they were transferring - so no additional cost for them.

shabbird

was going to post a good deal from John Lewis last night but saw they … was going to post a good deal from John Lewis last night but saw they charged £2 for click and collect. Adding the extra cost, it was no bargain :(. I guess they intend to make quite a large % redundant in the coming months and so require staff on shops instead of collecting orders. Crazy decision but I guess they must have crunched the numbers and decided this will save them money in the long term.

Only larger Tesco stores have dedicated counters for Tesco Direct desk and even in those cases they are manned by the person serving the Cigarette/Lottery desk during off-peak hours. Other than busy festive periods like before Christmas/Easter I rarely see the Tesco Direct desk busy anyway.

I have just learnt that Tesco F&F are not introducing a Click and Collect delivery charge for F&F website orders. This is because the F&F online store is on a different website with its own delivery options.

varunadas

Only larger Tesco stores have dedicated counters for Tesco Direct desk … Only larger Tesco stores have dedicated counters for Tesco Direct desk and even in those cases they are manned by the person serving the Cigarette/Lottery desk during off-peak hours. Other than busy festive periods like before Christmas/Easter I rarely see the Tesco Direct desk busy anyway.

My local Tesco have dedicated staff for the Direct desk. Always busy.

Niecey

People are just going to buy things they don't want or need to bump up … People are just going to buy things they don't want or need to bump up the order price then return the unwanted items for free instore. This will end up costing them more in the long run. They'll then resort to deducting a 'processing & handling fee' from refunds.

great idea - thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions