Changing a dogs food / diet from wet food to dry

Found 5th Jan 2012
Evening All,

I have a small dog that has trouble with skin and often is itchy and results in flaky skin.

Read up in it and have been advised to change diet from Ceaser / Pedigree Chum pouches to straight forward dry food (James Wellbeloved) hypo-allergenic stuff.

This may sound really daft but in the past he has not been too fussed for dry food only, my question is - if he refuses to eat it first time then surely dogs being dogs will ultimatly get hungry and eat it anyway ???
Has anyone else had to change their dogs diet and encountered troubles??
Dont want to starve the poor thing if he doesnt eat it, but on the same token if what hes eating currently isnt doing him any good then i want to stop feeding him it.
Community Updates
MiscDog FoodFood
12 Comments
try mixing with some water for a softer texture, see if it likes it, adding less water each time.
just ease him into it go from wet to dry slowly like a 80 - 20 wet to dry then 60 - 40 etc etc until hes on 100% dry food, dogs are picky mine is anyway she usually turns her nose up at her James wellbeloved but in the end she knows that's all she will get and I do feed her James Wellbeloved and its fantastic stuff she is never ever ill and has a beautiful coat, she eventually eats it, dry food is much better doesn't stink either
I always fed my dog dry food mixed with water. Try mixing a little of his current food with the dry and then gradually decrease the pouch food if he is still eating it.
changed my cat from wet to dry food, (granted she isn't a dog) she cried for 2 days but then she ate the dry and now does so happily.

Ok so how long would you suggest from reducing the amount of ceaser i put in, to it being totally dry food only??...

I agree about the wetfood it does stink big time!!

The James Wellbeloved has been praised to get dogs improved skin and coat so im going to be strict and get him on it - however he is fussy so im hopeful he also gets the vibe its either that or nowt !!!...........Hes a Westie so they are prone to poor skin - so my fingers are really crossed this works.

Dannysubaru

just ease him into it go from wet to dry slowly like a 80 - 20 wet to dry … just ease him into it go from wet to dry slowly like a 80 - 20 wet to dry then 60 - 40 etc etc until hes on 100% dry food, dogs are picky mine is anyway she usually turns her nose up at her James wellbeloved but in the end she knows that's all she will get and I do feed her James Wellbeloved and its fantastic stuff she is never ever ill and has a beautiful coat, she eventually eats it, dry food is much better doesn't stink either

He may have an upset tummy for a few days but don't revert back, its just him getting used to it.

James wellbelived is an excellent choice. Make sure he drinks plenty.
nick1981

Ok so how long would you suggest from reducing the amount of ceaser i put … Ok so how long would you suggest from reducing the amount of ceaser i put in, to it being totally dry food only??...I agree about the wetfood it does stink big time!!The James Wellbeloved has been praised to get dogs improved skin and coat so im going to be strict and get him on it - however he is fussy so im hopeful he also gets the vibe its either that or nowt !!!...........Hes a Westie so they are prone to poor skin - so my fingers are really crossed this works.

just do it gradually start with a half a bowl of ceaser and half of james wellbeloved and slowly decrease the wet food over a couple of weeks, if hes still turning his nose up you can buy gravy mixers into the dry food, its basically like adding bisto to a steak to dogs lol, see how he goes if all fails just keep the half ceaser half james, that way hes getting 50% of it being pure goodness
nick1981

Ok so how long would you suggest from reducing the amount of ceaser i put … Ok so how long would you suggest from reducing the amount of ceaser i put in, to it being totally dry food only??...I agree about the wetfood it does stink big time!!The James Wellbeloved has been praised to get dogs improved skin and coat so im going to be strict and get him on it - however he is fussy so im hopeful he also gets the vibe its either that or nowt !!!...........Hes a Westie so they are prone to poor skin - so my fingers are really crossed this works.

Just keep reducing the wet with each feed as long as he is eating it. it might take a week it might take two. Just persevere with it. It will benefit your dog and you.
We found that if you premix the dry food with water in an airtight tub the night before, our dog eats it as soon as its put down for her.
If it's hungry it'll eat anything, including it's owner, I'm sure hunger would kick in.

Dry food for cats can lead to kidney problems.
queenlush

Just keep reducing the wet with each feed as long as he is eating it. it … Just keep reducing the wet with each feed as long as he is eating it. it might take a week it might take two. Just persevere with it. It will benefit your dog and you.

When he was a baby......

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/Jackbaskethead.jpg

You could try Dog Gravy. There are lots of different ones to try. I feed my dog mainly dry food and add Naturediet just to add variety (which does smell but nowhere near as bad as some wet food). My friends dog had to cut out wet food and she found using gravy very useful. Her dog would never touch dry food, but when she added the gravy he wolfed it down!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants