Expired

Changing a V5 certificate without the previous owners signature.

Found 3rd Jun 2013
As above ^ I've just bought a car from a friend who is no longer in the country and I don't think I'll be able to reach them by post...

Is it possible to update the log book without having the previous signature?

Thanks, Dan.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Yes, just do the signature for them.
You sign it and you keep the new keeper supplement.

It's the responsibility of the seller to ensure the V5 is forwarded on btw.
Absolutely right. DVLA have no idea what their signature looks like....Any old scribble will do.
Ok, thanks for the feedback guys

I tried calling them before on several numbers - utter waste of time, you don't even get put through to someone!
No this ain't legal. You do a signature and they match it you will be done for fraud. Try getting car insurance cover then.......
You could call the DVLA. They'd probably know.....
DJ1

You could call the DVLA. They'd probably know.....

I've tried, it's useless - nobody answered on the five occasions I called.
You can send it without the previous owners signature. They will then issue you with a new V5 and send a letter to the previous owner asking them if they have sold the car. If they dont hear anything back (within 30 days I think) then there is no issue. If its a friend anyway and they have left the country then I cannot see any problem.

People mistakenly believe that the V5 is proof of ownership, it isnt, it merely documents the registered keeper of the vehicle.

You mention updating the log book, does that mean you have the physical V5 document in hand? If so just sign it as the new keeper. If not you can still send off for a V5 but you need a different form. A V62 from memory which can even be downloaded.

HTH
markq

You can send it without the previous owners signature. They will then … You can send it without the previous owners signature. They will then issue you with a new V5 and send a letter to the previous owner asking them if they have sold the car. If they dont hear anything back (within 30 days I think) then there is no issue. If its a friend anyway and they have left the country then I cannot see any problem.People mistakenly believe that the V5 is proof of ownership, it isnt, it merely documents the registered keeper of the vehicle.You mention updating the log book, does that mean you have the physical V5 document in hand? If so just sign it as the new keeper. If not you can still send off for a V5 but you need a different form. A V62 from memory which can even be downloaded.HTH

Thanks for your reply. I have the V5 in hand, so I'll carry on and send this back. Perhaps I should just put a covering letter in with this and see what the DVLA say.
g3legacy

Thanks for your reply. I have the V5 in hand, so I'll carry on and send … Thanks for your reply. I have the V5 in hand, so I'll carry on and send this back. Perhaps I should just put a covering letter in with this and see what the DVLA say.

There really is no need for a covering letter as long as you trust your friend not to dispute the ownership/V5 keeper. No need to falsify their signature either and best not to.

I have bought and sold loads of cars (often bought from auctions with no sellers signature) and never once had a problem.
g3legacy

I've tried, it's useless - nobody answered on the five occasions I called.

Agree call them again and again, if you get done they may take the vehicle from you.

EG, we had a car a hire car some years back and broke down and so reported it to rental company and left it in a street. Rental comp said go on your business (shopping ) and we will sort you another.
Later on, Car was missing and rental comp said oh it must be stolen so we rang Police whilst they were still sorting another.

Two years later we get a phone call from police to say hey this car was stopped (it was 250 miles away) and we have impounded it from the driver how do you wish us to proceed ? Rental comp had picked up the car after all and never informed police.
Fair enough. Better to learn from other peoples mistakes where possible! Buying from my friend is fine, she left the country and I have all the paperwork so no problem there. Sadly, this got overlooked as we only finalised the deal after she'd left (and the car stayed with another friend in the UK).
Bumpydog

No this ain't legal. You do a signature and they match it you will be … No this ain't legal. You do a signature and they match it you will be done for fraud. Try getting car insurance cover then.......

Match what? I could change my signature tomorrow if I wanted. The signature just represents that the other guy is happy to change ownership, presumably he is so it would be fine.

If the guy wasn't happy with it and subsequently complain then it would be different
sancho1983

Match what? I could change my signature tomorrow if I wanted. The … Match what? I could change my signature tomorrow if I wanted. The signature just represents that the other guy is happy to change ownership, presumably he is so it would be fine. If the guy wasn't happy with it and subsequently complain then it would be different

We had someone who's husband was carrying on , he agreed to move out , he signed over house yet she forgot to have insurance policy done. She did it as he went abroad. She copied his signature (copied), she was done for fraud....

Bumpydog

We had someone who's husband was carrying on , he agreed to move out , he … We had someone who's husband was carrying on , he agreed to move out , he signed over house yet she forgot to have insurance policy done. She did it as he went abroad. She copied his signature (copied), she was done for fraud....

I don't really understand what you've said, but it sounds like the person whose signature was forged didn't agree with whatever it went on.

Seems like op's situation is much more amicable

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants