Expired

Changing Audio track of MKV on LG TV

Found 30th Dec 2014
I've just bought the LG 42LN543V from Currys. Pretty happy with it :-)
Hoping someone else who has this TV or similar can answer my question.
The TV plays MKV's via USB perfectly but in the wrong language!
The MKV itself has multiple audio tracks, then can selected using VLC on a PC or my old WD Live box.
If the TV can't do it, do I need to somehow edit the MKV prior to viwing it on the TV?
Community Updates
AskLGLG TV
21 Comments
avidemux or something like
mkvtoolnix
mkvmerge
possibly makemkv
I have an LG Bluray player and I use a programme called MKVMerge or (MKVToolnix) that I use to to convert unplayable files or remove audio or subtitle tracks from a file that aren't needed.

Used if for years, there are newer versions, than the 3.30 I have linked too, but this is the one that works best with LG stuff I have found.

Just a straigtforward drag file into box untick what you want removed and press start muxing, depending on your laptop should take less than 2 minutes to remux a 4gb file

Edited by: "sotv" 30th Dec 2014
brilly

avidemux or something likemkvtoolnixmkvmergepossibly makemkv

he means to remove the extra track, leaving just the on you want to use. It's a common problem (Google) apparently it plays track 1 by default with no way to change it.
Edited by: "deeky" 30th Dec 2014
Original Poster
Many thanks!
Will try MKV merge
OK....Removed the unwanted audio tracks, leaving just English - DTS 5.1 (The other non english tracks were AC3 5.1)
But now get message saying unsupported Audio format

Edited by: "simbachips" 30th Dec 2014
deeky

he means to remove the extra track, leaving just the on you want to use. … he means to remove the extra track, leaving just the on you want to use. It's a common problem (Google) apparently it plays track 1 by default with no way to change it.

thats why i gave him that list

Edited by: "brilly" 30th Dec 2014
simbachips

Many thanks!Will try MKV mergeOK....Removed the unwanted audio tracks, … Many thanks!Will try MKV mergeOK....Removed the unwanted audio tracks, leaving just English - DTS 5.1 (The other non english tracks were AC3 5.1)But now get message saying unsupported Audio format

Sounds like the TV doesn't support that format then? Have you played DTS 5.1 direct through TV USB before?

I know my mates TV only supports AC3 and MP3 audio directly. Had to source a specific Samsung model a couple of years ago for someone, as that was one of the few TV's that supported DTS audio codec back then.

Things may have changed since then though?
Original Poster
sotv

Sounds like the TV doesn't support that format then? Have you played DTS … Sounds like the TV doesn't support that format then? Have you played DTS 5.1 direct through TV USB before?I know my mates TV only supports AC3 and MP3 audio directly. Had to source a specific Samsung model a couple of years ago for someone, as that was one of the few TV's that supported DTS audio codec back then.Things may have changed since then though?

Its a new TV so not tried anything on it before, but it looks like it does not support DTS 5.1
I'm trying to convert the audio track to AC3 now, but its taking ages...

Wouldn't it be easier to just use your Wdtv?
Original Poster
sancho1983

Wouldn't it be easier to just use your Wdtv?

Yes it would!

Was quite happy to have one less box & remote in the tv stand, but this lack of DTS support is quite disappointing.
simbachips

Yes it would!Was quite happy to have one less box & remote in the tv … Yes it would!Was quite happy to have one less box & remote in the tv stand, but this lack of DTS support is quite disappointing.

You need a harmony remote with activities. One button press and it turns on the Wdtv, puts the tv on the right input. Then you can set it up so you change the volume on the TV (or amp or whatever) but move the options on the Wdtv.

That's my attitude, if there's a problem throw more money at it! Seriously though, get a harmony remote.
sancho1983

You need a harmony remote with activities. One button press and it turns … You need a harmony remote with activities. One button press and it turns on the Wdtv, puts the tv on the right input. Then you can set it up so you change the volume on the TV (or amp or whatever) but move the options on the Wdtv. That's my attitude, if there's a problem throw more money at it! Seriously though, get a harmony remote.

Harmony one FTW
brilly

thats why i gave him that list

Chill brill. I was just making sure he knew what they were for.
simbachips

Yes it would!Was quite happy to have one less box & remote in the tv … Yes it would!Was quite happy to have one less box & remote in the tv stand, but this lack of DTS support is quite disappointing.

Thinking logically, why would a tv support DTS 5.1 when it doesn't have 5.1 speakers?
Original Poster
Just in case someone else out there has the same issue, after trying a few file converters the one that worked best for me was Popcorn MKV Audio Converter.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter
But being as I don't have the time nor patience I'm not going convert all my MKV's/Re-encode my BD discs. So will be plugging my good old WD Box instead.

deeky

Thinking logically, why would a tv support DTS 5.1 when it doesn't have … Thinking logically, why would a tv support DTS 5.1 when it doesn't have 5.1 speakers?

If I remember correctly DTS codec is licensed and costs manufacturers to use it with there products. Which is the reason you don't get it on many tv's
sotv

If I remember correctly DTS codec is licensed and costs manufacturers to … If I remember correctly DTS codec is licensed and costs manufacturers to use it with there products. Which is the reason you don't get it on many tv's

Maybe so but my reasoning still applies. No point in decoding a 5.1 signal to output through 2 speakers.
deeky

Maybe so but my reasoning still applies. No point in decoding a 5.1 … Maybe so but my reasoning still applies. No point in decoding a 5.1 signal to output through 2 speakers.

ofc there is a point to decoding/downmixing ... so the tv can play sound if thats the only source!
Edited by: "brilly" 30th Dec 2014
Original Poster
deeky

Maybe so but my reasoning still applies. No point in decoding a 5.1 … Maybe so but my reasoning still applies. No point in decoding a 5.1 signal to output through 2 speakers.

Bear in mind that AC3/Dolby Digital 5.1 *IS* supported, so its naught to do with 2 speakers. Its a licensing issue.
Many people also have a sound bar / AV receivers with 5.1
Also I'm not trying to decode 5.1 on 2 speakers, just trying to get some sound!
Clearly there's an issue here with NO sound being output at all on certain MKV's
But as said before, its no major issue to me as I can just continue using the WD box.

Edited by: "simbachips" 30th Dec 2014
brilly

ofc there is a point to decoding/downmixing ... so the tv can play sound … ofc there is a point to decoding/downmixing ... so the tv can play sound if thats the only source!

Yeah, downmixing to stereo to get SOME sound of course. I was just saying I wouldn't expect a tv to process a DTS 5.1 track to play as a 5.1 track.
Found this post via google. I have an LG 60LB580V and I have tried to use mkv tool nix to rip out the audio tracks that I dont need. when playing the file it says audio-track not supported.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions