Changing broadband providers

Found 13th Dec 2017
I'm looking to switch my broadband I'm with virgin media at the moment and paying £35p/m just for broadband .
I rang them yesterday to ask about getting it reduced which they offered me it for £28 p/m
I said sky could do it for £20 odd to which she replied I wouldn't be able to stream Netflix etc as there speed isn't as good as virgin (I get upto 50mb) I think and sky is 17 mb
Am I being told rubbish ? There's only me and my daughter in our house so 2 mobiles ,2now tv boxes and her laptop only used more in evening
Just unsure if to move don't want broadband I can't use as daughters at uni so needs it the most any ideas thanks .

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

I never had issues with sky when I was getting around 15 mbps from them, that's with a laptop two mobiles,ps4 and sometimes casting from phone, I'd say Virgin are chatting nonsense.
I only have issues since moving but that's because I only get 2.7mbps and even then I have the sky q boxes, phones and ps4 connected and can just about do what I need to do id say speak to sky and see what there best offer is.

Think you need a minimum of about 5mbps for HD streaming, I would have thought 17mbps would be fine.

Original Poster

Yea I was thinking that she even tried to tell me sky would add on phone line rental so I told her the price was inclusive of that as I've looked into it that's when she went on to say sky's speed wouldn't be enough

But sky can't offer you 50mb at £20 could they? £28 isn't that bad at all but ask if they can add some phone calls free for the weekend etc. I have moved to EE last week to standard broadband for £21.50

They're telling you a load of twaddle, we live out in the sticks with just about 8mbps and use NOW TV & Amazon firestick and Netflix works just fine!

Upto 17mb surely will be ADSL ? Sky was doing fibre upto 38mb for £25. Might be worth a look, unless you don’t have fibre available where you live? Either way I’m sure you will be fine with your usage.

Original Poster

Misslovely36 m ago

But sky can't offer you 50mb at £20 could they? £28 isn't that bad at all b …But sky can't offer you 50mb at £20 could they? £28 isn't that bad at all but ask if they can add some phone calls free for the weekend etc. I have moved to EE last week to standard broadband for £21.50

They wouldn’t budge 🙄

we had sky and it was fine on the sky fibre £20 a month deal for streaming netflix etc.

janey7043 m ago

They wouldn’t budge 🙄

Read the "Question" above yours titled "VM VIP retention deal" ... You'll see Virgin have changed their policy!

Check out BT. I get 54mbps and line rental. £8.50 per month after £125 reward card and £90 topcashback is trajan into account (12 month contract )

Just phone virgin and cancel say you can no longer afford to pay their costs, i guarantee some one will ring you and offer you a good deal, you want line rental with 24/7 free calls and broadband for £25 a month, stick to your guns and they will give you the deal, always haggle with all bills.

i think the point they are trying to make is that you are not comparing 'like for like'. you are comparing Sky ADSL to Virgin Fibre which are different products.

by what you say, yes, 17mb would probably suffice. why not ask Virgin for their lowest price, basic broadband package and compare? i've never been with Virgin so i'm not sure if they even do ADSL

Original Poster

coolcasey13 h, 53 m ago

Just phone virgin and cancel say you can no longer afford to pay their …Just phone virgin and cancel say you can no longer afford to pay their costs, i guarantee some one will ring you and offer you a good deal, you want line rental with 24/7 free calls and broadband for £25 a month, stick to your guns and they will give you the deal, always haggle with all bills.

What I’m receiving is there lowest package

So was i, i cancelled my contract on the phone and someone phoned me up four days later and i got broadband speed 100 and phone line also free calls for £25 a month, also just had a sim from them for £4 a month free texts and 1000 minute free calls.

A deal with talk talk talktalk.co.uk/sho…mk/ £85 paid through topcashback

Worth a look..Before anyone mentions talk talk are not great, my daughter never had any problems with them.

Original Poster

coolcasey5 h, 5 m ago

A deal with talk talk https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/mk/ £85 …A deal with talk talk https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/mk/ £85 paid through topcashbackWorth a look..Before anyone mentions talk talk are not great, my daughter never had any problems with them.

Thanks but tried these years ago were awful couldn’t even get the broadband working was to far from exchange or something
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions