Changing cars on an insurance policy

Found 29th Jan
Hi, I'm looking at possibly buying a new used car to replace my current one and was wondering if enquiring with my current insurance providers about getting a quote on this new vehicle would in any way impact on my current insurance policy.

The quotes I'm getting on comparison sites quote more than what I'm currently paying so in an ideal world sticking with my current insurers would save me a bit of money (admin fees and whatnot), also would my ncb carry on unaffected as I'm a few months shy of 2 years?

I'm quite inexperienced in these things so thanks in advance.
Community Updates
10 Comments
I never had an increase from just asking for a quote for a vehicle. I once rang up with 4 or 5 reg numbers and asked for a quote for each as they were right on the limit of the groups I could afford.

Check if there is any insurance administration fee as well
Edited by: "darlodge" 29th Jan
You really need to try and stay with your existing insurer in order to get credit for another years NCD - if you change now you would still only have 1 year and the additional year is likely to be worth more than the potential saving if you were able to find a cheaper policy with another insurer now.

Do as darlodge suggests - getting a quote from your insurer won't affect anything - but do ask about admin charges - some of the cheaper insurers do sting you for any changes to the policy!
Getting a quote won't affect your current insurance , a car change on your current policy should only cost you £15 - £20 admin fees for the 2 months you have to go (unless its a much higher insurance group ) .

Change insurers now and you won't get the current years extra NCB as you haven't completed the full year .

Pay the admin fee for change of vehicle then in 2 months time do the Compare/ Cashback merrygoround to get the best deal for next years insurance with your extra NCB.
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. So if I understand correctly, if I were to change car now the policy would end in a couple of months (as per the original car) and not start a new 12 month policy?

And I've tweeted the insurers about any admin fees as I couldn't find the info on their site and I'll ring them tomorrow for the quote.
LilHammerette9 m ago

Thanks for the advice guys. So if I understand correctly, if I were to …Thanks for the advice guys. So if I understand correctly, if I were to change car now the policy would end in a couple of months (as per the original car) and not start a new 12 month policy? And I've tweeted the insurers about any admin fees as I couldn't find the info on their site and I'll ring them tomorrow for the quote.

Yes. You will only pay any additional premium for the remaining couple of months.
LilHammerette9 m ago

Thanks for the advice guys. So if I understand correctly, if I were to …Thanks for the advice guys. So if I understand correctly, if I were to change car now the policy would end in a couple of months (as per the original car) and not start a new 12 month policy? And I've tweeted the insurers about any admin fees as I couldn't find the info on their site and I'll ring them tomorrow for the quote.

Yes it will just continue till the end of your current policy . But don't forget to compare for next year , You can always beat your current insurers renewal quotation in my experience.
Van19731 h, 26 m ago

Yes. You will only pay any additional premium for the remaining couple of …Yes. You will only pay any additional premium for the remaining couple of months.

This is not always the case, it depends on the underwriter rather than the insurance company/broker, as some underwriters won't cover certain people on some cars (such as young people on higher insurance group cars).
So you may find that your existing insurer may say that you will have to take out a new policy with a different underwriter, thus loosing the full 12 months no claim period.
who is your current insurer?

I changed car last year with 2 months left on my cover, cost me £6 extra for the remaining 2 months (bigger car), no admin fees as I'm with quotemehappy which is online only (you just login to your account and make the changes yourself)
Original Poster
To change mid-policy will cost me £25. The car isn't too dissimilar to my current and I'm 26 so hopefully the underwriter will be the same.
Thanks for the replies
Buy the new car in a few months, by which time you'll have your 2 years no claims and you wont have to pay any fees.

Then just start the usual compare site search with your new car reg number.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants