Groups
    EXPIRED

Changing deeds of property from joint owners to tenants in common

Hi, I have 2 properties which are jointly owned, however we would like to change this so we are tenants in common for tax reasons - anybody know what form I need to file with the land registry and how hard this is to do? I can instruct solicitors but I'd rather do it myself if I can. Any advise appreciated

4 Comments

Method

You'll have to contact your solicitor but it's quite a simple procedure. You can switch simply by writing to each other saying the property will be owned as tenants in common and then to the Land Registry.

Alternatively, you can fill in form RX1, available from the Land Registry, but it's best to have legal help to do this. You will also have to specify in your will that you intend to leave your share to your specified beneficiary.

It can cost as little as £30 for legal documents to be drawn up but if you want more in-depth legal advice it can cost more.

Read more: thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml

Original Poster

chocci

MethodYou'll have to contact your solicitor but it's quite a simple … MethodYou'll have to contact your solicitor but it's quite a simple procedure. You can switch simply by writing to each other saying the property will be owned as tenants in common and then to the Land Registry.Alternatively, you can fill in form RX1, available from the Land Registry, but it's best to have legal help to do this. You will also have to specify in your will that you intend to leave your share to your specified beneficiary.It can cost as little as £30 for legal documents to be drawn up but if you want more in-depth legal advice it can cost more.Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1594984/Tenants-common.html#ixzz353pt6f2S

thanks for your response - do you think I can just do this myself and cut the solicitor out?

stevenbcfc

thanks for your response - do you think I can just do this myself and … thanks for your response - do you think I can just do this myself and cut the solicitor out?

no idea without your full circumstances / plans

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/~/media/LOTW/Files/Legal_Docs/pdfs/Notice%20of%20Severance%20of%20Joint%20Tenancy.ashx

Most Land Registry things (after sale/purchase) are designed to be doable without a solicitor. The Land Registry are really helpful if you need some guidance, either by phone or email.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Simply games French cases?22
      2. Is 'Isisue' a fake website/does it sell fake brands55
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?11
      4. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?36

See more discussions