Changing Energy Supplier to Avro or Together Energy

Found 15th Jun
So it's come to that time of year when my current supplier Coop will increase rates for the year ahead and so I'm looking around for a better deal.

I usually go for the bigger companies because I guess they have to be more accountable and transparent. Therefore easier to deal with.

Over the years I've been with British Gas, Sainsbury, Npower, and now Coop. Some are better than others but generally I only change if there's a significant saving to be made with a different supplier.

Anyway, I crunched my numbers into the energy comparison providers and it seems the best value company is Avro Energy followed by Together Energy.

From what I've gleened on MSE and TrustPilot Together Energy seem to be a small company, which has a good reputation (i.e. easy to contact and deal with problems) whilst Avro is more mixed and potentially more 'aggro'?

Last year I almost got suckered into Iresa Energy but after reading some horror stories on MSE I decided against them.

Anyway, would be good to hear people's views. Thx.
Community Updates
AskEnergy
14 Comments
I know people that go for the smaller suppliers and that provides some small savings, I personally go with the cheapest of the big ones.

If your on benefits the big ones sometimes offer some schemes around savings or energy saving stuff which the smaller companies can’t provide/do.
Check if they give you that warm house discount (£140) smaller energy companies dont give that. I have mine (npower) fixed price that is coming to an end so gonna be looking at the individual unit prices + option to pay by variable DD
I had a really bad experience of Toto energy last year (avoid at all costs) and switched to Avro, no issues so far. I'm minded to agree with the above comments about sticking with the big players in future. I don't need months of hassle to save fifty quid.
I went for out fox the market and took 4 months to complete the switch. Not a problem but worrying when you don't get a bill. Ovo was real quick when I switched back in 2015. Guess the smaller companies take their time
I went to Iresa around 24 months ago after being with Ovo since they started. But their owner was keen on F1 and I got fed up with the price rises that were only funding his habit. Iresa had very low prices. All went well for 12 months and then they started messing around with DD payments. I kept on with them but eventually it had to go to the Ombudsman who, unsurprisingly, found in my favour and added £65 in for my troubles.

Now I'm with OneSelect who have the cheapest rates for me. Do I expect to have problems with them? Quite possibly. Am I scared I will lose my money? A big NO. I keep meter readings and adjust my DD to prevent to much of a debt building up. The ombudsman will always find in my favour as I can give them a chronology of simple facts.

Am I being a miserable penny pinching miser? Well I save over £325 pa on the cheapest of the big 6 (Ovo) and I have been playing the game for over a decade. If you can afford to fund over £300 a year for nothing then good luck to you.

You will even get a free smart meter that causes you problems when you want to switch.
My gas is with Zog for few years now.
Electricity usually switch every year, I usually pick the cheapest with OK review.

And obviously, if you want to try small company, I read the meter every month reading and take a photo of meter, and thus I have a record if there is any problem
I’m with Avro until September I think. They’ve asked for meter readings and ended up using estimates so I’ve stopped bothering to give them readings when they ask. Not had any problems as such though.
I've been with Avro since last November.

I was happy until recently recently when I asked them if I could switch to a lower priced deal they were offering - they took a week to respond during which time the deal disappeared. They also replied they would require me to "clear the debit balance" on my account - I pay a fixed amount each month at their request and obviously as I joined at the beginning of the winter I currently owe them about 50% of a monthly payment but in a few months time with my lower summer usage they will owe me 1-2 months payment! They also said they would block me from leaving if I chose to go elsewhere.

Bottom line is I did not like their slow communications and bad attitude to a customer who has always paid on time and will probably leave at a time that suits me! The problem with the smaller companies is generally their very slow customer service - it is near impossible to speak to any of them on the phone!

Have a search for Avro on Twitter and you will find several people complaining about them - particularly blocking people from leaving for no supposed reason!
ccnp3 h, 16 m ago

I went to Iresa around 24 months ago after being with Ovo since they …I went to Iresa around 24 months ago after being with Ovo since they started. But their owner was keen on F1 and I got fed up with the price rises that were only funding his habit. Iresa had very low prices. All went well for 12 months and then they started messing around with DD payments. I kept on with them but eventually it had to go to the Ombudsman who, unsurprisingly, found in my favour and added £65 in for my troubles.Now I'm with OneSelect who have the cheapest rates for me. Do I expect to have problems with them? Quite possibly. Am I scared I will lose my money? A big NO. I keep meter readings and adjust my DD to prevent to much of a debt building up. The ombudsman will always find in my favour as I can give them a chronology of simple facts.Am I being a miserable penny pinching miser? Well I save over £325 pa on the cheapest of the big 6 (Ovo) and I have been playing the game for over a decade. If you can afford to fund over £300 a year for nothing then good luck to you. You will even get a free smart meter that causes you problems when you want to switch.

No your not but as you said all that takes time to do and if it’s easier to go to work for a few hours to earn that instead of messing around for days/months more.

For me the difference was £30 overall between the cheapest of the big six at the time and they gave me a free nest worth over £150 so to be honest the smaller ones worked out dearer if you took that into account (based on my usage and location).
Been with First Utility for about 3 years now. Well priced, good CS and I like the app too. No way would I go back to a big 6 after my dealings with Scottish Power. Small and big companies have to follow the same rules so I'm not coinvinced about your logic.
I've used a number of smaller suppliers, two even went bust while I was a customer, but have not had any actual issue with any of them including the ones that failed I was just transferred to a bigger supplier, the last one even honoured the prices of the provider that collapsed, and any credit you have with them is now protected too.

I'm currently with Iresa as they were/are drastically cheaper than anyone else - I'm only paying 10.8p a KWh. No issue so far, as I've not needed to contact them, but then I haven't left yet either.

I have had issues in the past with a couple of the bigger suppliers though.
Edited by: "melted" 15th Jun
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Been with the big six for the last 10 years but decided to look at Avro as they are nearly the cheapest. I avoided the bottom 2 after reading the reviews. Avro seemed ok reading the feedback in general.

Second reason i went with them is that there is no exit penalties on the fixed rate so if they do mess me about i will just switch away.

Also just bear in mind that they will take the 1st Direct Debit payment before your account starts. For example my 1st payment is 30 June but the switch date is 8 July. This is fine by me though.
cmdr_elito22 h, 56 m ago

No your not but as you said all that takes time to do and if it’s easier t …No your not but as you said all that takes time to do and if it’s easier to go to work for a few hours to earn that instead of messing around for days/months more.For me the difference was £30 overall between the cheapest of the big six at the time and they gave me a free nest worth over £150 so to be honest the smaller ones worked out dearer if you took that into account (based on my usage and location).

Not all of us work anymore
ccnp8 m ago

Not all of us work anymore

Lucky or lazy 😜 🤪
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions