Changing from an EE contract to a 3 SIM only contract

21 replies
Found 20th Sep 2016
I am currently with EE - my 2-year contract has just expired. I would like to do a SIM only 3 deal through Quidco. If I ring up EE I will have to give 30 day's notice (my phone is also locked to them I think - got the deal through Mobiles.co.uk). I would like to keep my number - is it possible to phone up EE today and say I would like to switch over with them to a Pay As You Go SIM (to keep my number) - if I do that, will I still need to give 30 day's notice? Also, if I do the PAYG SIM, a few days after doing it, would I then be able to port my number over to the 3 deal (how much do EE charge to unlock your phone?).

I am also wondering, is it just possible to have my phone unlocked whilst I am in the 30 day's notice and insert the new 3 SIM only card and start using it during the 30 days - seeing that the 3 deal runs out on 30/9/16?

21 Comments

Why do you have to give 30days notice? If your contract has finished then you are free to leave immediately.

EE has pretty good customer service - but they will put you through to the retentions team. But if they can't give you the best deal then just say no. I tried 3 but I had really bad reception compared to EE.

Original Poster

Bigfootpete

Why do you have to give 30days notice? If your contract has finished then … Why do you have to give 30days notice? If your contract has finished then you are free to leave immediately.EE has pretty good customer service - but they will put you through to the retentions team. But if they can't give you the best deal then just say no. I tried 3 but I had really bad reception compared to EE.

I have several EE contracts in the house (for children as well), and every time the 2-year contract is up, I've been told that I have to give 30 day's notice to leave unless I do an upgrade - have they been telling me the wrong information then? Thank you.

Sophiasky

I have several EE contracts in the house (for children as well), and … I have several EE contracts in the house (for children as well), and every time the 2-year contract is up, I've been told that I have to give 30 day's notice to leave unless I do an upgrade - have they been telling me the wrong information then? Thank you.

Not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that once the contract term is up you should be free to leave, if it says in your contract you need to give 30 days notice then how will that apply if the contract term has expired?

Best to phone customer services to check.

Once the minimum term's over it becomes a 30 days rolling contract. You will have to give 30 days notice to end it.

But if you want to take your number to 3 you'll need to get your pac and not ask to end the contract.

Original Poster

steve1221

Once the minimum term's over it becomes a 30 days rolling contract. You … Once the minimum term's over it becomes a 30 days rolling contract. You will have to give 30 days notice to end it.But if you want to take your number to 3 you'll need to get your pac and not ask to end the contract.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about the second bit - if you want to take your number to 3 you'll need to get your pac and not ask to end the contract?

I've just gone and ordered through Quidco the 3 SIM only deal, so now have to wait for it to turn up. Won't I have to now phone up EE and say that I want to leave as I'm going for a SIM only deal with 3? I do want my PAC code as I would like to keep my number. I also will have to pay to get my phone unlocked with EE, but don't understand why you say not ask to end the contract - surely I still have to give 30 day's notice? Thank you.

If you end the contract your number will be lost. If you request and use the PAC the number will transfer to the new network and the contract will be closed automatically. In either case you need to give 30 days notice. So if you get a PAC use it about day 25-28. No need to go to PAYG on EE first to transfer to PAYG on 3, just PAC EE to 3.

All you have to do is call EE and ask for your PAC code. When you receive your new sim from 3 call them and give them your PAC code. Your original number will be transferred to your new 3 sim and your contract with EE will automatically be cancelled immediately.

Original Poster

blaggy59

All you have to do is call EE and ask for your PAC code. When you receive … All you have to do is call EE and ask for your PAC code. When you receive your new sim from 3 call them and give them your PAC code. Your original number will be transferred to your new 3 sim and your contract with EE will automatically be cancelled immediately.

I see that you say that when my new number is transferred to the 3 SIM, my contract with EE will automatically be cancelled immediately. However, if I phone up EE today for my PAC code, do I have to say that I'm giving 30 day's notice as well? Also, I have to get my phone unlocked with EE - when they are in the process of unlocking it, can I still use my phone and internet, etc? Thank you.

Original Poster

OBH6UK

If you end the contract your number will be lost. If you request and use … If you end the contract your number will be lost. If you request and use the PAC the number will transfer to the new network and the contract will be closed automatically. In either case you need to give 30 days notice. So if you get a PAC use it about day 25-28. No need to go to PAYG on EE first to transfer to PAYG on 3, just PAC EE to 3.

When I spoke to a 3 advisor on the phone, she said that my contract would start with them on the day that I request the SIM, not when I insert it into the phone to activate it. So, if I use it on day 25-28, I still would have to pay for the first 24 or so days according to the advisor (and also my 30 day's notice on top, with EE).

Sophiasky

[When I spoke to a 3 advisor on the phone, she said that my contract … [When I spoke to a 3 advisor on the phone, she said that my contract would start with them on the day that I request the SIM, not when I insert it into the phone to activate it. So, if I use it on day 25-28, I still would have to pay for the first 24 or so days according to the advisor (and also my 30 day's notice on top, with EE).

Correct.

Sophiasky

I see that you say that when my new number is transferred to the 3 SIM, … I see that you say that when my new number is transferred to the 3 SIM, my contract with EE will automatically be cancelled immediately. However, if I phone up EE today for my PAC code, do I have to say that I'm giving 30 day's notice as well? Also, I have to get my phone unlocked with EE - when they are in the process of unlocking it, can I still use my phone and internet, etc? Thank you.

When you get a pac code you do not have to also give 30 days notice and your contract will end with them the day you transfer your number. As for unlocking it should be immediate, you will need to get a code from ee (or ebay) which you will enter when you power on your phone with a non ee sim card

Sophiasky

I see that you say that when my new number is transferred to the 3 SIM, … I see that you say that when my new number is transferred to the 3 SIM, my contract with EE will automatically be cancelled immediately. However, if I phone up EE today for my PAC code, do I have to say that I'm giving 30 day's notice as well? .

No you have to use the PAC within 30 days or the contract continues.

Sophiasky

Also, I have to get my phone unlocked with EE - when they are in the … Also, I have to get my phone unlocked with EE - when they are in the process of unlocking it, can I still use my phone and internet, etc? Thank you.

Yes on EE.

Original Poster

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated.

Original Poster

All done now. I have requested my PAC code and asked to unlock my phone - have to wait for up to 10 working days though for that to happen. Thank you all anyway.

OBH6UK

If you end the contract your number will be lost. If you request and use … If you end the contract your number will be lost. If you request and use the PAC the number will transfer to the new network and the contract will be closed automatically. In either case you need to give 30 days notice. So if you get a PAC use it about day 25-28. No need to go to PAYG on EE first to transfer to PAYG on 3, just PAC EE to 3.

My EE contract ended and I didn't have to give 30 days notice to get my PAC code - what makes you so sure he/she needs to give 30 days notice?

Bigfootpete

My EE contract ended and I didn't have to give 30 days notice to get my … My EE contract ended and I didn't have to give 30 days notice to get my PAC code - what makes you so sure he/she needs to give 30 days notice?

You don't give 30 day notice to get a PAC you give 30 days notice to leave.

OBH6UK

You don't give 30 day notice to get a PAC you give 30 days notice to … You don't give 30 day notice to get a PAC you give 30 days notice to leave.

Well I didn't.

Bigfootpete

Well I didn't.

You sure you were not on PAYG?

Bigfootpete

Well I didn't.

the 30 days your PAC code is valid for will be your 30 day notice period....

Your phone might already be unlocked as you purchased it from mobiles.co.uk.

I bought an O2 phone (LG3) and it is unlocked.

I think it is because they are part of the Carphonewarehouse group

OBH6UK

You sure you were not on PAYG?

100% sure - it was a year long Sim only deal - pay monthly.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769323
    2. Xbox Code Giveaway - fastest finger first22
    3. Happy Bandi Chorr Diwas and Happy Diwali!1113
    4. Any PS4 News Here29313891

See more discussions