Changing from one SIM (Orange) to a new SIM (3)

17 replies
Found 28th Sep 2016
I've just taken up a recent offer on here for the £9 a month 3 SIM offer (4GB data, unlimited minutes and texts). I did request a PAC code which I have not used yet - I was going to keep my old mobile number but now think it's best to change to the new one that has come with my 3 SIM. I have now been sent the instructions from Orange on how to unlock my phone now (have already paid for that service) - I'm keeping the same phone for 3.

Can somebody please explain to me how I transfer my photos, videos and contacts over to the new 3 SIM? My daughter told me to copy my photos over to my computer first, but is there a way to just transfer data over via the SIM card, especially the contacts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

1. Ask
  2. Sim
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sim
17 Comments

What phone (make, model) are you keeping?

Photos and Videos aren't stored on the SIM, they are stored either on the internal storage of the phone or on a separate memory card. Swapping your SIM card won't delete your photos and videos. If you are keeping the same phone, there is nothing to do.

If you are using a smartphone, your contacts and text messages are almost definitely stored on the phone or on an online account (E.g. A google account or Microsoft account).

The first thing you should try is to simply use the new SIM card in your phone and check if all of your contacts are still there.

Original Poster

chancooluk

What phone (make, model) are you keeping?Photos and Videos aren't stored … What phone (make, model) are you keeping?Photos and Videos aren't stored on the SIM, they are stored either on the internal storage of the phone or on a separate memory card. Swapping your SIM card won't delete your photos and videos. If you are keeping the same phone, there is nothing to do.If you are using a smartphone, your contacts and text messages are almost definitely stored on the phone or on an online account (E.g. A google account or Microsoft account).The first thing you should try is to simply use the new SIM card in your phone and check if all of your contacts are still there.

Sony Xperia Z2 (Android) phone.

With your original Orange SIM inserted in the phone, you can import any contacts stored on the SIM to your phone memory / Google Account (which you will almost certainly have if you have ever downloaded anything from the Play Store or used Gmail on your handset).

Go to the site linked below which contains various instructions on how to transfer contacts. You want the "to import contacts from a SIM Card' section towards the bottom of the page.

support.sonymobile.com/glo…ts/

Any SIM contacts will still be available to you when you insert your new SIM.

If you don't use your PAC, your old contract won't end. So if you haven't already you need to call Orange and put in your cancellation.

Original Poster

steve1221

If you don't use your PAC, your old contract won't end. So if you … If you don't use your PAC, your old contract won't end. So if you haven't already you need to call Orange and put in your cancellation.

I thought that by requesting my PAC code, that was actually giving my 30 days' notice? So, if I don't want to keep the same number, are you saying that I will have to phone them up again to say that I want to change to the new SIM number and not use the PAC code - and then, have to start my 30 days' notice again? Thank you.

Sophiasky

I thought that by requesting my PAC code, that was actually giving my 30 … I thought that by requesting my PAC code, that was actually giving my 30 days' notice? So, if I don't want to keep the same number, are you saying that I will have to phone them up again to say that I want to change to the new SIM number and not use the PAC code - and then, have to start my 30 days' notice again? Thank you.

If you don't use the PAC the contact won't end, the PAC expires and the contract continues if it's not used.

You can either ask to cancel a contract and lose the number,
or
Ask for PAC to transfer the number.
But not both.

So, yes. If you have no plans to use the PAC you MUST call them and ask to cancel.
Edited by: "steve1221" 28th Sep 2016

Original Poster

steve1221

If you don't use the PAC the contact won't end, the PAC expires and the … If you don't use the PAC the contact won't end, the PAC expires and the contract continues if it's not used.You can either ask to cancel a contract and lose the number,orAsk for PAC to transfer the number.But not both.So, yes. If you have no plans to use the PAC you MUST call them and ask to cancel.

I'm already around 8 days into the PAC code request, so if I call them today to cancel instead, do you think they will back date it to 8 days ago or not? If not, it might be easier for me to port the number using the PAC code and then later ask if I can have a new mobile number, however, do you know if I will have to pay a fee for requesting a new mobile number later down the line? Thank you.

No they won't backdate it. The system won't allow them to, well not any of the networks I've worked for.

What you could do as a work around. Get a new pay as you go sim from anywhere but the network you're on now and transfer the number to that. You don't ever have to use it and you don't get your notice period reset.

Here's a link for a free O2 sim; o2.co.uk/sho…337

Original Poster

steve1221

No they won't backdate it. The system won't allow them to, well not any … No they won't backdate it. The system won't allow them to, well not any of the networks I've worked for.What you could do as a work around. Get a new pay as you go sim from anywhere but the network you're on now and transfer the number to that. You don't ever have to use it and you don't get your notice period reset.

Hello, when you say 'the network you're on now', do you mean the network that I will be going to (3), or the one I'm currently with now (Orange) - 3 have already sent me a new SIM card (new number), but I haven't done anything about it yet. Do you actually mean, say, pick one up for Vodaphone, change the Orange number to that one with the PAC code? I have to unlock my phone still (have just been sent the instructions), so after I have done that, would I just insert the Vodaphone SIM card in it - how long would it take for it to register (back to Orange) that I have used the PAC code (before I can take that SIM out and then insert the new 3 one that I was sent - that I want to use as it has my new number)? Thank you.

The network the number is on now, which I take to be Orange?

The number transfer from Orange to another network should take about 24 hours to kick in. The old sim stops, the new pay as you go has to be restarted and then has your old (Orange) number attached to it. But it doesn't have to be in a phone at the time.

Also once your phone's unlocked you can put the 3 sim in it, you don't have to wait for the transfer to go through. If the phones now unlocked you can put the 3 sim in it. You should get a few texts or 'sim updates' which is 3 loading your phone with their setting. Then it should just work. (but you might have to do the old, switch it off and back on again a couple of times).

Original Poster

steve1221

The network the number is on now, which I take to be Orange?The number … The network the number is on now, which I take to be Orange?The number transfer from Orange to another network should take about 24 hours to kick in. The old sim stops, the new pay as you go has to be restarted and then has your old (Orange) number attached to it. But it doesn't have to be in a phone at the time.Also once your phone's unlocked you can put the 3 sim in it, you don't have to wait for the transfer to go through. If the phones now unlocked you can put the 3 sim in it. You should get a few texts or 'sim updates' which is 3 loading your phone with their setting. Then it should just work. (but you might have to do the old, switch it off and back on again a couple of times).

Ok, your instructions make things a lot clearer, however, just a few more questions, you say 24 hours for it to kick in from Orange to another provider, does that mean it is best to keep the other provider's SIM in my phone for the 24 hours - sorry, but if I just take out the Orange SIM and insert a PAYG SIM, say for about 5 minutes, will that be enough time for Orange to realise that I have changed provider. Just one more thing - when I phoned Orange for the PAC code, 3 said that when I had it, to let them know what it was. Do I have to enter this code on my phone when I insert the other provider's SIM card? Sorry for so many questions, but I have not had a SIM only deal before.

No problem, doing this for the first time can be a minefield!

You only need to put the new pay as you go sim in a phone for a few minutes at some point after the transfers gone through. It doesn't have to be in a phone for the transfer to happen. That's all done server side at the network end.

After you've got your new pay as you go sim, call the customer service number for the network and tell them you want to port in your old number. (you can't do it from the phone).
They'll need to know, the phone number of their pay as you go you have, and most likely the sim number, which is the really long number that's printed on the sim itself. and of course the PAC from Orange (which should start ORG, unless they've changed things).

If you have spare phone and the Orange sim will work in, use that if you like, just so you can tell when that sim stops. Then sometime, doesn't matter when. Put the pay as you go in a phone and it should update with your old number.

If you no long want that number you can either throw the sim in a draw or (if you're completely sure you'll never need it again) cut the sim up and bin it!

Original Poster

chancooluk

Ignore what steve1221 has told you about switching your number to O2. He … Ignore what steve1221 has told you about switching your number to O2. He obviously hasn't read your original post thoroughly enough, and is giving bad advice (sorry steve1221).In your original post you have stated that you have already received the new 3 SIM, correct?If so, there is absolutely no need to transfer your number to a Pay As You Go SIM card on a completely different network.It's simple: If you want to keep your old Orange number, call Three and give them the PAC code that orange provided you with. That will cancel your old contract with Orange, and your old number will be transferred to Three within 24-48 Hours, depending on the time of the request.If you want to use the new number that your Three SIM came with, you will need to contact Orange (EE) and let them know that you wish to cancel your contract, otherwise your old contract will continue after the PAC code expires.Giving Three your PAC code is the easiest option in my opinion.

For the second option, I was just thinking that it is around 8 days now since I requested my PAC code, so if I call Orange and say that I want to cancel instead, the 30 day notice will start from today - my SIM only contract with 3 started the day that I requested my SIM card from them, so I don't really want to have to add the 8 days back on again to give 30 days notice - if that makes sense, as I will have to pay extra money to Orange. Do you know if 3 will make a charge if after I port my current number to them, I then request a new mobile number (perhaps a week or so later)? Also, whilst all the porting is going on, will I still be able to use my phone - make calls and use the internet? Thank you.

Sophiasky

For the second option, I was just thinking that it is around 8 days now … For the second option, I was just thinking that it is around 8 days now since I requested my PAC code, so if I call Orange and say that I want to cancel instead, the 30 day notice will start from today - my SIM only contract with 3 started the day that I requested my SIM card from them, so I don't really want to have to add the 8 days back on again to give 30 days notice - if that makes sense, as I will have to pay extra money to Orange. Do you know if 3 will make a charge if after I port my current number to them, I then request a new mobile number (perhaps a week or so later)? Also, whilst all the porting is going on, will I still be able to use my phone - make calls and use the internet? Thank you.

Yes, you have to give 30-days notice to cancel your contract, which would start from today if you asked today, not from the time you requested the PAC.

Three will not charge you for requesting a new mobile number if you decide not to keep your ported number. Simply ring them after the porting is complete and request a new mobile number.

Original Poster

chancooluk

Yes, you have to give 30-days notice to cancel your contract, which would … Yes, you have to give 30-days notice to cancel your contract, which would start from today if you asked today, not from the time you requested the PAC.Three will not charge you for requesting a new mobile number if you decide not to keep your ported number. Simply ring them after the porting is complete and request a new mobile number.

Thank you for that advice. I have to do a shop audit tomorrow morning, Friday, Sunday and next Monday morning - I use my phone to enter the stock details, etc. When I port, will I actually be able to still use my phone on these days, or will I not be able to do anything until the porting has transferred over? Thank you.

Sophiasky

Thank you for that advice. I have to do a shop audit tomorrow morning, … Thank you for that advice. I have to do a shop audit tomorrow morning, Friday, Sunday and next Monday morning - I use my phone to enter the stock details, etc. When I port, will I actually be able to still use my phone on these days, or will I not be able to do anything until the porting has transferred over? Thank you.

The original Orange SIM will continue to work until the porting starts to take place (within 24-48 hours), usually you will find that the original SIM will stop working (it will lose signal, state 'emergency calls only' or simply stop being able to receive/make calls), and the number should be ported over to the new SIM within an hour of that happening.

Original Poster

chancooluk

The original Orange SIM will continue to work until the porting starts to … The original Orange SIM will continue to work until the porting starts to take place (within 24-48 hours), usually you will find that the original SIM will stop working (it will lose signal, state 'emergency calls only' or simply stop being able to receive/make calls), and the number should be ported over to the new SIM within an hour of that happening.

Thank you for letting me know that - I will have to work out when it is best to do it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet2455
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604812
    3. South Park: The Fractured Butt Hole Preorders - Ubisoft Store (Free Season …46
    4. Add one, leave one game54415441

See more discussions