changing IP address help

29 replies
Found 29th Oct 2009
ive recenetly joined o2 broadband and im trying to get my IP address to change
i left the modem unplugged all night its been switched off a good 12 hours, ive just gone to test it and its the same IP as i had last night
i have a dynamic IP but unsure how often it changes

is there any way i can get the IP to change

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
29 Comments

Not sure if this will work but have u tried to enter this in then cmd window:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Banned

go into router and click renew ip address it only changes within a certain range tho......

so you will be found out for creating multis lol

Before release/renewing you would need to telnet to the router (if they allow this) :thumbsup:
Other wise you are just doing it on your machine :whistling:

not sure,that's how i use to change mine b4,by unplugging..,:whistling:

What model is the router? 02 are supposed to renew every 6 hours but i have read that it sometimes doesn't....

casparwhite;6723442

go into router and click renew ip address it only changes within a … go into router and click renew ip address it only changes within a certain range tho......so you will be found out for creating multis lol

aardvarking;6723448

Before release/renewing you would need to telnet to the router (if they … Before release/renewing you would need to telnet to the router (if they allow this) :thumbsup:Other wise you are just doing it on your machine :whistling:

aardvarking;6723467

What model is the router? 02 are supposed to renew every 6 hours but i … What model is the router? 02 are supposed to renew every 6 hours but i have read that it sometimes doesn't....

i don't have a router guys,how to change it please:)

Banned

do you not have the o2 support agent installed on ur computer you can do it through this also

Ahhh for a modem, ipconfig /release on the machine. Then shut down. Booting up and reconnecting *may* renew the IP...
Been a long time since I used a modem ;-)

Original Poster

ye ive tried the ipconfig thing
i spoke to o2 customer services and they said i need to send a telnet command to the router which they dont advise or support
weather this is true or not i dont know

im not sure how to telnet the router
the make is a thomson wireless box ll

Banned

dark_like_vader;6723510

ye ive tried the ipconfig thingi spoke to o2 customer services and they … ye ive tried the ipconfig thingi spoke to o2 customer services and they said i need to send a telnet command to the router which they dont advise or supportweather this is true or not i dont knowim not sure how to telnet the routerthe make is a thomson wireless box ll

i have the same 1

type this into address bar

or open the support agent like already advised

it would be(from a cmd prompt) telnet
it then should be ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew...although depending on the O/S of the router you may need to specify the interface you want to do it on.
typing ? after telnet should show you the commands

Original Poster

aardvarking;6723528
it would be(from a cmd prompt) telnet
it then should be ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew...although depending on the O/S of the router you may need to specify the interface you want to do it on.
typing ? after telnet should show you the commands

ok its asking for username and password
i thought they was both set as "admin" by default but its not accepting it

Banned

dark_like_vader;6723641

ok its asking for username and passwordi thought they was both set as … ok its asking for username and passwordi thought they was both set as "admin" by default but its not accepting it

there is no password, unless you set 1

and its administrator

the router that is btw

good luck as you now have all the info needed as i have the same router

dark_like_vader;6723641

ok its asking for username and passwordi thought they was both set as … ok its asking for username and passwordi thought they was both set as "admin" by default but its not accepting it

username: admin
pass: password

?

Original Poster

thanks!

dark_like_vader;6723641

Username: SuperUser
Password: (It used to be O2Br0ad64nd but now it should be your router's serial number - look on the back/bottom)

http://i38.tinypic.com/k0q0xg.jpg

Original Poster

http://i37.tinypic.com/v2sgsx.jpg

The only time I've got a different IP address is by using a different router but as soon as I go back to the original O2 router I get the same old IP address.

why do you want it to change?

Alfonse;6724088

why do you want it to change?

+1 ??? :?

aardvarking;6723509

Ahhh for a modem, ipconfig /release on the machine. Then shut down. … Ahhh for a modem, ipconfig /release on the machine. Then shut down. Booting up and reconnecting *may* renew the IP...Been a long time since I used a modem ;-)

a what????? na whats 1 of those pmsl:whistling:

Original Poster

ye ive logged in as SuperUser. still no luck
just been onto o2 broadband assistant and the guy said theres no way round it, he said if i leave my box off for a couple of hours that should change the IP but if the same IP is still available it will use that

ive had it off for 12 hours last night and still the same IP, so theres not much i can do by the sounds
i may as well have a static IP at this rate

Banned

dark_like_vader;6725495

ye ive logged in as SuperUser. still no luckjust been onto o2 broadband … ye ive logged in as SuperUser. still no luckjust been onto o2 broadband assistant and the guy said theres no way round it, he said if i leave my box off for a couple of hours that should change the IP but if the same IP is still available it will use thative had it off for 12 hours last night and still the same IP, so theres not much i can do by the soundsi may as well have a static IP at this rate

havnt you got a ps3 or psp or something else that you can connect while the computer is off

maybe that will take the current ip....

You need to clone a new mac address or use a new router to get a different Dynamic ip from o2 Standards . what were they invented for ?. Oh yeah for AOL(deceased*). o2, talk talk, sky to mess on with em.

dark_like_vader;6725495

ye ive logged in as SuperUser. still no luckjust been onto o2 broadband … ye ive logged in as SuperUser. still no luckjust been onto o2 broadband assistant and the guy said theres no way round it, he said if i leave my box off for a couple of hours that should change the IP but if the same IP is still available it will use thative had it off for 12 hours last night and still the same IP, so theres not much i can do by the soundsi may as well have a static IP at this rate

why do you want to change it?

Original Poster

dontasciime;6725655

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2809

cheers mate, ive tried this a few times and not had any luck
it doesnt seem to accept any old random letters / numbers where the X's go but ive managed to find something that works and it does actually work

thanks peeps! sorted! new ip happy man :-D

Banned

dark_like_vader;6726082

cheers mate, ive tried this a few times and not had any luckit doesnt … cheers mate, ive tried this a few times and not had any luckit doesnt seem to accept any old random letters / numbers where the X's go but ive managed to find something that works and it does actually workthanks peeps! sorted! new ip happy man :-D

dont keep us in suspense what was it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564081
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769218
    3. Leicester sack their manager!815
    4. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)91185

See more discussions