Changing LNB on sky dish

Posted 24th Jan
We've taken the plunge and cancelled Sky TV. We had the Sky Q package with multiroom so will be sending the equipment back.
As I understand it to be able to watch Freeview channels again on our old Sky HD boxes I need to swap the Sky Q LNB for a quad LNB.
They look cheap enough on Amazon but has anyone any experience in swapping them over?
Is it a simple enough job to do?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
deleted2426366
I would be also interested to know how to do this.
All you would need is a dual lnb . You just swap them over .
Just to be clear, you'll be able to watch "Freesat" programmes - not Freeview. I know you probably meant that though. Freeview is normal terrestrial TV through an aerial.

I thought they'd want the box AND the LNB, no? If not, the LNB might not need swapping as it can have sockets on it for STD satellite signal too. You'd need to check the LNB itself. If it has 6 sockets, 4 of these are for wideband "Q" and two are standard Sky HD. Of course, this means you can only use two at once on a single box (so you can record and watch at the same time - i.e. a Humax receiver) or supply two old Sky boxes with a single feed each. Won't be twin tuner though.

Easiest thing is get a Mk4 Sky Quad LNB. 4 sockets - enough to supply two boxes with a double-feed (shotgun cable.) They are pretty much a universal fit so just pull the "Q" off (by releasing a little recessed nodule) and click the new quad in it's place. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think the F-connectors may be different for the Q's so you may have to pick up some new smaller ones. Thread those onto the cables already there and connect up to the LNB.

If you are trying to feed more than ONE HD box for twin tuner - DO NOT BUY A DUAL LNB.

Sounds REALLY easy, doesn't it?
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 24th Jan
Phsycronix24/01/2020 22:05

Just to be clear, you'll be able to watch "Freesat" programmes - not …Just to be clear, you'll be able to watch "Freesat" programmes - not Freeview. I know you probably meant that though. Freeview is normal terrestrial TV through an aerial.I thought they'd want the box AND the LNB, no? If not, the LNB might not need swapping as it can have sockets on it for STD satellite signal too. You'd need to check the LNB itself. If it has 6 sockets, 4 of these are for wideband "Q" and two are standard Sky HD. Of course, this means you can only use two at once for HD on a single box (and so you can record and watch at the same time - i.e. a Humax receiver) or supply two old Sky boxes with a single feed each. Won't be HD though.Easiest thing is get a Mk4 Sky Quad LNB. 4 sockets - enough to supply two boxes with a double-feed (shotgun cable.) They are pretty much a universal fit so just pull the "Q" off (by releasing a little recessed nodule) and click the new quad in it's place. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think the F-connectors may be different for the Q's so you may have to pick up some new smaller ones. Thread those onto the cables already there and connect up to the LNB.If you are trying to feed more than ONE HD box - DO NOT BUY A DUAL LNB.Sounds REALLY easy, doesn't it?

Thanks for the info, there was no mention of wanting the LNB back just the Q boxes, remotes etc. Yes I did mean Freesat
Humax is the way to go if you want to record though, and if you did change over the lnb, you only have to have moved the dish a couple of mm to be off the satellite.(they have to be mm perfect)
You can use the signal display on a sky box, but there is lag, making the whole process painfully slow, if at all possible.
I'd suggest getting a little satfinder box £10ish
Check out YouTube, bound to be a video on the subject.
jonauk24/01/2020 22:15

Thanks for the info, there was no mention of wanting the LNB back just the …Thanks for the info, there was no mention of wanting the LNB back just the Q boxes, remotes etc. Yes I did mean Freesat

Like I said, if they don't take the LNB (and it IS a 6-port) you can just swap from Q sockets to HD sockets but there will be only 2 of those - so only one box for twin tuner/recording - or two boxes with a single cable to each. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. Just get one of these:
39755632-6YFF8.jpgebay.co.uk/itm…NDt

£14.89 delivered.

This is the old Mk4 (which I prefer) and has the drop-down weather guard to keep your sockets dry from ingress. You can get newer Mk4's but these babies are tried and tested - pretty much bulletproof. Try offering your cable connectors up to the sockets BEFORE you attach the LNB to the dish (just in case they don't fit) as you'll need to fit new ones. I don't know what type your installer may have used.

Also remember that there are two types of Freesat. Normal Freesat - and "Freesat from Sky" which would need one of their cards to obtain local programming. In all honesty though, normal Freesat is fine and your HD boxes will work fine without.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 24th Jan
Why does a HD signal need 2 inputs, I have a sky hd box in my bedroom and still get HD signal with only 1 input, I thought the 2 inputs into the sky + box was simply to feed the 2 tuners
Phsycronix24/01/2020 22:05

Just to be clear, you'll be able to watch "Freesat" programmes - not …Just to be clear, you'll be able to watch "Freesat" programmes - not Freeview. I know you probably meant that though. Freeview is normal terrestrial TV through an aerial.I thought they'd want the box AND the LNB, no? If not, the LNB might not need swapping as it can have sockets on it for STD satellite signal too. You'd need to check the LNB itself. If it has 6 sockets, 4 of these are for wideband "Q" and two are standard Sky HD. Of course, this means you can only use two at once for HD on a single box (and so you can record and watch at the same time - i.e. a Humax receiver) or supply two old Sky boxes with a single feed each. Won't be HD though.Easiest thing is get a Mk4 Sky Quad LNB. 4 sockets - enough to supply two boxes with a double-feed (shotgun cable.) They are pretty much a universal fit so just pull the "Q" off (by releasing a little recessed nodule) and click the new quad in it's place. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think the F-connectors may be different for the Q's so you may have to pick up some new smaller ones. Thread those onto the cables already there and connect up to the LNB.If you are trying to feed more than ONE HD box - DO NOT BUY A DUAL LNB.Sounds REALLY easy, doesn't it?

ding24/01/2020 22:59

Why does a HD signal need 2 inputs, I have a sky hd box in my bedroom and …Why does a HD signal need 2 inputs, I have a sky hd box in my bedroom and still get HD signal with only 1 input, I thought the 2 inputs into the sky + box was simply to feed the 2 tuners

You're correct ding. I'm thinking of the old Sky boxes - non HD variant. I'll correct. Getting tired....or old.....or both!
@ding

By the way ding, do you have a recordable Sky box? I don't have one anymore (stole the HDD out of it to use as an external) but you used to have to pay Sky if you still wanted to use it to record. Then in about 2015? they relinquished and I think you could use the recording feature freely? Do you know if that's the case?
Phsycronix24/01/2020 23:05

You're correct ding. I'm thinking of the old Sky boxes - non HD variant. …You're correct ding. I'm thinking of the old Sky boxes - non HD variant. I'll correct. Getting tired....or old.....or both!

That's OK I just thought I had it wrong
Phsycronix24/01/2020 23:13

@ding By the way ding, do you have a recordable Sky box? I don't have one …@ding By the way ding, do you have a recordable Sky box? I don't have one anymore (stole the HDD out of it to use as an external) but you used to have to pay Sky if you still wanted to use it to record. Then in about 2015? they relinquished and I think you could use the recording feature freely? Do you know if that's the case?

Nope upstairs is just a standard sky hd box which I use off the old dish with the old lnb for freesat and downstairs in the conservatory is a sky q with multi room in the front room working off the new dish
Edited by: "ding" 24th Jan
Years ago we simply got the ladder out, unplugging the way dish on connectors & replaced it, no realignment tool needed really unless you are throwing your weight around on it.
(Sold the old one on ebay)
Do it on a weekend in case you need to sort out a signal finder (which I doubt) ..this is one of the simpler diy jobs you'll ever do.
Yeah I did exactly this a few weeks ago having brought my sky +HD box to new house where a Q LNB was fitted. Got what looks exactly the same lnb linked above except from amazon, similar price.

Hardest part was getting the Q LNB off, little plastic peg thing was really hard to get out and ended up breaking that. But fitting the new one then was a breeze. Just clipped into place, and managed not to move the dish, great signal. Maybe check everything is tight before you start so nothing slips.

The connectors were identical so straight swap there. Good luck!
Thank you all very much for your input. It's very much appreciated. Still got a week to go before they switch us off. Thanks for the link Phsycronix I will take your advice and go for that LNB. Watch this space! 🤪
jonauk25/01/2020 08:21

Thank you all very much for your input. It's very much appreciated. Still …Thank you all very much for your input. It's very much appreciated. Still got a week to go before they switch us off. Thanks for the link Phsycronix I will take your advice and go for that LNB. Watch this space! 🤪

Depending on the connectors, it sounds as if you may be lucky and they just fit as before. Just make sure you are careful when you insert them, so as to not bend the core wire over. As CWT above said, the plastic peg can be a beggar but two blunt knives coming from each side to 'prize' it out straight helps. Don't come at it from one side as it'll generally shear off.

Hold the dish stalk as you plug the new LNB on so as not to disturb the dish alignment and you should be fine with no adjustment required. The only other thing I can suggest if weather is a concern is get some Vaseline (seriously!) and/or some self-amalgamating tape. Dip the end of each cable/connector in the Vaseline before you screw them into the LNB. Then, as an extra precaution you can wrap each connector with the tape. The Vaseline will stop moisture and therefore corrosion which can degrade signal. Of course, as the Mk4 has a pull-down weather guard, you may feel this is overkill. Just some 'old' tips for you to consider...

Good luck. Just think of all that lovely money you'll be saving!
I did this before Christmas and it's really easy.
amazon.co.uk/dp/…XGE
I got the above then simply took the old one off and put this one on.
There are a few clips on the sides and a stopper.
Just dont try to do it at dusk and when it's given out rain.
I had to change the wires to my bedroom sky box as it was fitted under the roof tiles and got damaged, when I replaced them I hit the sky LNB with my ladder quite ard and thought damn I bet its now either broken or out of alighnment but it was fine so they must be quite tough and a bit flexable with the alignment.
markvirgo25/01/2020 14:41

I had to change the wires to my bedroom sky box as it was fitted under the …I had to change the wires to my bedroom sky box as it was fitted under the roof tiles and got damaged, when I replaced them I hit the sky LNB with my ladder quite ard and thought damn I bet its now either broken or out of alighnment but it was fine so they must be quite tough and a bit flexable with the alignment.

Deffo not flexible with alignment, must have been well fitted (probably done with anchor bolts, rather then Rawl plugs)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants