Changing motherboard without reinstalling Windows

Found 30th May
Can you change to a better motherboard without reinstalling Windows
Community Updates
9 Comments
Yep. In most cases you can use a hdd/sdd with a windows install in an entirely different PC. Depending on drivers you may have some issues so as a rule I always tend to reinstall anyway just to be on the safe side.
emodan3 m ago

Yep. In most cases you can use a hdd/sdd with a windows install in an …Yep. In most cases you can use a hdd/sdd with a windows install in an entirely different PC. Depending on drivers you may have some issues so as a rule I always tend to reinstall anyway just to be on the safe side.

Would it help to uninstall any drivers to do with the old motherboard
emodan30th May

Yep. In most cases you can use a hdd/sdd with a windows install in an …Yep. In most cases you can use a hdd/sdd with a windows install in an entirely different PC. Depending on drivers you may have some issues so as a rule I always tend to reinstall anyway just to be on the safe side.

Same here new board fresh install.
You can, but its not optimal. A clean install of windows can be of benefit. Its possible to RESET windows 10, not sure if it would clean drivers first. Whats your reason for not wishing to reinstall Windows ? A backup once in a while is a good idea.
Really depends on what you are changing from and to.

If different cpu architecture not possible (unlikely from what you have put)

If different chipset manfacturer then you are likely going to prefer to reinstall than attempt to unpick the lower level stuff and leave a mess - answer possible but you really wouldn't want to.

If same chipset and gen with more features, faster and better spec then yep fairly straight forward to remove any drivers specific to your previous mobo, replace and install new mobo drivers and then register windows to the new mobo.
Yep, it's an easier option if you're not wanting to hunt for OS keys. You can boot the OS and activate it on the new system then reinstall to optimise your PC.

I swapped my FX8350 to a i7 8700k, didn't like it as it was slow and buggy and needed to install some patches before I would allow me to activate it. Reinstalled and it runs a lot quicker. My OS was trashed as I was running from an 8.1 upgrade and had a lot of patches and .net installed so it would explain the slow downs.
Millionvoltage1 h, 42 m ago

You can, but its not optimal. A clean install of windows can be of …You can, but its not optimal. A clean install of windows can be of benefit. Its possible to RESET windows 10, not sure if it would clean drivers first. Whats your reason for not wishing to reinstall Windows ? A backup once in a while is a good idea.

Effort downloading and installing every program and steam game
Say it was an i5 6500 moving from h110m board to z170 or z270 would I encounter any issues
coventgamer44 m ago

Say it was an i5 6500 moving from h110m board to z170 or z270 would I …Say it was an i5 6500 moving from h110m board to z170 or z270 would I encounter any issues

Minimal as the underlying chipset drivers from Intel have been unified for quite some time - just variance on the add ons
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants