Changing the DNS on smartphone...

Posted 31st Mar
I currently run a VPN and looking at that extra level of security. I've read it's good to customise a DNS.

I've recently noticed cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 is free and open to all.

Would I be good enough using a DNS change only or do I need a VPN for ultimate security.
Are there any disadvantages to using such a DNS?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
I use opendns to filter all my webtraffic and since i have a family you can block certain categories and certain websites, it defiantly speeds some up as well.

Im using a talktalk router and that works really well
dimelow200631/03/2020 18:10

I use opendns to filter all my webtraffic and since i have a family you …I use opendns to filter all my webtraffic and since i have a family you can block certain categories and certain websites, it defiantly speeds some up as well.Im using a talktalk router and that works really well

How easy is it to set up? Are there any specific requirements for the router?
endofdays31/03/2020 18:34

How easy is it to set up? Are there any specific requirements for the …How easy is it to set up? Are there any specific requirements for the router?

Its quite easy to do. What router do you have?
dimelow200631/03/2020 18:36

Its quite easy to do. What router do you have?

I'm looking at getting a new one so it would be handy to know if there's anything I should look out for with regard to this.
endofdays31/03/2020 18:41

I'm looking at getting a new one so it would be handy to know if there's …I'm looking at getting a new one so it would be handy to know if there's anything I should look out for with regard to this.

Just make sure you change the internet connectivity settings and not the actual router dns
dimelow200631/03/2020 18:10

I use opendns to filter all my webtraffic and since i have a family you …I use opendns to filter all my webtraffic and since i have a family you can block certain categories and certain websites, it defiantly speeds some up as well.Im using a talktalk router and that works really well

Do you configure your router to run all traffic through the open DNS? If that's even possible mind.

I've noticed some pages on my phone run that little bit quicker so I know the speed is there.

Edit* Just seen your comment above no issues.
Edited by: "Montane" 31st Mar
I think using a VPN automatically changes the DNS settings, so changing the DNS settings is only beneficial when not using a VPN. I may be wrong.

Some Android Firewalls (i.e. NetGuard) say not to use a custom DNS, as they use their own inbuilt VPN settings.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell31/03/2020 22:08

I think using a VPN automatically changes the DNS settings, so changing …I think using a VPN automatically changes the DNS settings, so changing the DNS settings is only beneficial when not using a VPN. I may be wrong.Some Android Firewalls (i.e. NetGuard) say not to use a custom DNS, as they use their own inbuilt VPN settings.

I'm afraid it depends on how it's been configured.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions